New Hints at the '05 Sox

beck72

Trading Konerko has to be considered as a possible option when looking to improve the Sox. You can't just say Gload is not as good so trading PK makes no sense. Gload appears to be a servicable replacement but no world beater. I look at Gload as being roughly comparable to a JT Snow. He'll do, if .... and here's the key .... if the players you get for Konerko, and/or the players you get with the freed up cash are the type of players that will strengthen the Sox elsewhere to enough of a degree that it will make up for the difference in production you get with Gload as opposed to Konerko.

I'm not clamoring for a trade of Konerko, because I've always been a PK backer ... even thru his horrid 2003. But, I'm a Sox fan much more than I'm a Konerko fan. If trading him will improve the Sox, then by all means, trade him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a bad clutch hitter. The only clutch hit I remember was a homer in the pouring rain in the first month of the season.

I don't remember that one, but I do remember in 2003 the Sox were down to their last out against the Twins and he hit a homer which sent it into extra innings. Then Frank Thomas hit the game winning homer. That's the only one I can remember come to think of it.

Cf Lance Johnson

OF Tim Raines

3B Robin Ventura

1B Frank Thomas

C Carlton Fisk

DH Albert Belle

OF Darrin Jackson

SS ozzie Guillen

2B Joey Cora

I miss seeing Raines, Ventura, and Lance Johnson playing. I was too young to remember Fisk so I was stuck with Karkovice and the many other cathers like Mike Lavierre or whatever and Charlie O'Brien I believe.

Why are people still in love with Uribe?

My God, if he starts next year this team has some major problems.

I disagree he NEEDS to start somewhere, a middle infielder that can hit .270-.280 with 20 plus homers and gold glove caliber defense needs to be playing somewhere.

I'm a big Uribe fan.

I am too.

But, he's got a lot to learn about plate discipline. He's on pace to strike out close to 100 times this season.

If they go with a more "contact friendly" hitting team in 2005 as they've been saying, Uribe might not be a starter. Rather, he'd be the primary reserve at 2b, SS, 3B.

Who knows. It'll be interesting to see where the pieces all fit.

When he got really cold in late July, it was UGLY. He really did look like he was legaley blind at the plate, just taking hacks at pitches. When he was hot, the ball just seemed to find his bat.

Uribe is worth a shot starting, just based on potential and the glove, but if we have a team to contend next year, he cant start.

In my opinion, Juan Uribe is a difference maker. Yes, he struggles mightily at times. However, he's the type of player that when he's on, he can lead a team. This was illustrated at the beginning of the season when there wasn't a tougher out in the AL. If you can have a difference maker at 2b in the AL, then you are at an advantage. 2b is a very weak position in the AL, and Uribe could easily be one of the best overall in the future.

Wouldn't bank on those numbers again, and i can't stand his plate discipline.

Uribe does have some question marks, but I have more faith in him compared to Harris, and I could live with Uribe starting at 2B or SS as long as someone besides Harris is starting beside him. One way that I look at it is that Uribe is an upgrade over Valentin for comparison(better BA, similar power, similar plate disipline, similar speed, better defense). I love Uribe's defense, and his ability to play multiple positions. I could live with Uribe hitting in the 7th or 8th hole. He has averaged 59 extra base hits in a full season(600 AB's), which is pretty good, especially for a middle infielder. He did show a mild improvement from a plate disipline standpoint(best career BB/PA and BB/SO). If he can post a .260+ BA, than I could live with Uribe as an everyday starter. The Sox aren't going to become the Yankees with an AS at ever position.

There are some good posts here and lots to think about. I do agree that what happens with the offense may well hinge on Frank Thomas. I think the Big Hurt was on his way to a great year before that injury and Maggs was looking pretty solid too. I still stick with what I said about trading Paulie though. The guy has really come around and look at the rebound from last year. Tonight he hit #40 and has driven in close to 110. No other Sox player has those numbers. Jose has a homer tonight as well and I am happy that he found that long ball again.

Uribe could turn into a jewel for this team.  Hopefully, they keep stressing plate discipline with him and make it a priority.  If he could put up a consistent .290 or so every year, he'd solidify SS for years to come.

Agreed! Uribe has been a pleasant surprise based even on '04 numbers.

Hope you guys and girls are right about Juan Uribe.

This is a serious question cause I haven't seen a lot of games

on TV, unfortunately.

Is he a great fielder?

I know about his hitting.

Does he have good range? Does he make the routine play?

Does he have a strong arm?

When the ball is hit to him at ss do you feel it's an automatic out

or does he have Alan Bannister disease?

Please fill me in.

thanx.

on TV, unfortunately.

Is he a great fielder?

Please fill me in.

thanx.

Excellent fielder seem to me like he has as much range if not more than valentin. Makes every play interesting even if it is a one hopper right to him and has one of the strongest arms in the league.

on TV, unfortunately.

Is he a great fielder?

Please fill me in.

thanx.

Personally, I think Uribe is a great infielder. He has an incredibly accurate arm, solid range, and good coordination. There hasn't been a Sox infielder I've been more confident in when the ball was hit to him as I've been with Sox (in the last about 10 years).

on TV, unfortunately.

Is he a great fielder?

Please fill me in.

thanx.

Defensively I think he's pretty good, definately above average, but he's got the shot to be special, imo.

The key to whether he becomes special or not is what goes on in his head. He still needs to become a mentally smarter ballplayer. However, their isn't a player I'd rather watch throw a baseball then Juan Uribe...wow does he have a cannon from short. He also does a nice job at 2nd and is good at turning the double play, imo.

Offensively he still needs to be more patient, but he has extremely quick hands and power to all parts of the field. I seriously think he's got the potential to be the next Miguel Tejada.