Miguel Olivo

DH - Frank Thomas

Bench:

Tony Graffanino

Aaron Miles

Brian Daubach

Armando Rios

- Pete, the 26th man.

I'm betting they send Olivo down to AAA, and keep Paul. The logic is this: If the Sox keep Olivo, Paul will be scooped up by another team. Then, if Olivo falters, and Sandy gets hurt, we suddenly have no catcher. If the Sox keep Paul, they can send Olivo down to Charlotte, and if Paul can't hack it, they can let him go and bring Olivo up later.

The only real questions that remain as far as the 25-man roster goes are....

1) Back-up catcher? I'd go with Miguel and take our chances on losing Josh. If he gets picked up, oh well IMO

2) 5th starter? This isn't really a question - it's just a matter of Danny getting ready. By all accounts, he's still scheduled to be in the rotation.

3) White or Ginter? Tough one. I can't make a call, since I haven't seen much of White.

Miles is not going to make the team. He may deserve to, but he's not going to (unless someone gets injured in the next couple of days). IMO, our 25 men will be...

Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Loaiza, Wright, Glover, Ginter (by default since I haven't seen White), Gordon, Marte, Wunsch, Koch as our pitchers. That's 11.

Alomar Jr, Olivo, Konerko, Thomas, Jimenez, Harris, Valentin, Graffanino, Crede, Lee, Rowand, Ordonez, Rios, Daubach as our position players. That's a total of 25.

Seems to be a lot of Anti-Rick White sentiment on this board, and it seems solely based on Spring Training performance. Check out his career -- he's been a very capable reliever for 7 years, with the exception of last year's stint in Colorado.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stat...ts?statsId=5186

Veteran pitchers often like to tinker with pitches and try out new ideas in Feb. and Mar., so I don't think anything can be derived from his bad spring in Tucson. Just my opinion.

Clujer....you said Miles probably won't make the roster without someone getting injured. Harris pulled his hammy the other day. Is that enough of an injury for you?

Also....we probably will go with an Alomar-Olivo duo behind the plate....Paul is killing himself in ST.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Clujer....you said Miles probably won't make the roster without someone getting injured.  Harris pulled his hammy the other day.  Is that enough of an injury for you?

Also....we probably will go with an Alomar-Olivo duo behind the plate....Paul is killing himself in ST.

besides who the hell wants paul anyhow... i cant think of one team out there who needs a mediocre catcher.........not one.........i say take the chances of paul on the wire...burke looks a ton better anyhow.. keep alomar and olivo on the 25 man and let josh go...........harris and miles.. theres no contest.. hands down miles has out performed harris on many levels .....if jm doesnt fight to take miles up with him hes a fool.....can you imagine the strength he would add up the middle... not to mention his bat in the lineup and speed on the basepaths.... geez us....... if we dick around with harris and take a chance hes gonna turn into another clayton ....were gonna be f***ed......besides the only thing harris can do that miles isnt comfortable enough doing right now is bat lead off... i say let miles work it out.......he'll get used to it.......another main concern is what to do about danny... i have a bad feeling this is his time to go down with injury.... so now what........we need to get that pitching staff nailed down or were not gonna go anywhere...we all know pitching wins games...... ;)

I think Olivo should be with the team now. The only way he can learn our pitchers and start making the right calls is being around them. Olivo is the catcher of the future, our pitchers are here for a while so we need Olivo to get use to catching our pitchers now. Also, as long as Sandy is around, he can teach Olivo on how to call a game and be familiar with the hitters on the opposite team.

Clujer....you said Miles probably won't make the roster without someone getting injured.  Harris pulled his hammy the other day.  Is that enough of an injury for you?

Sure, a pulled hamstring certainly is an injury that could change who is on the 25-man roster. However, the only way, IMO, that Miles will make the team is of Harris starts the season off on the DL, and I don't think his injury is quite that severe. But, we'll find out soon.

besides who the hell wants paul anyhow... i cant think of one team out there who needs a mediocre catcher.........not one.........i say take the chances of paul on the wire...burke looks a ton better anyhow.. keep alomar and olivo on the 25 man and let josh go...........harris and miles.. theres no contest.. hands down miles has out performed harris on many levels .....if jm doesnt fight to take miles up with him hes a fool.....can you imagine the strength he would add up  the middle... not to mention his bat in the lineup and speed on the basepaths.... geez us....... if we dick around with harris and take a chance hes gonna turn into another clayton ....were gonna be f***ed......besides the only thing harris can do that miles isnt comfortable enough doing right now is bat lead off... i say let miles work it out.......he'll get used to it.......another main concern is what to do about danny... i have a bad feeling this is his time to go down with injury.... so now what........we need to get that pitching staff nailed down or were not gonna go anywhere...we all know pitching wins games...... ;)

I agree about Paul. I don't think anyone will pick him up, and quite honestly, based on what he's shown us over the past couple of seasons, it wouldn't be a big loss.

Guest hotsoxchick1
besides who the hell wants paul anyhow... i cant think of one team out there who needs a mediocre catcher.........not one.........i say take the chances of paul on the wire...burke looks a ton better anyhow.. keep alomar and olivo on the 25 man and let josh go...........harris and miles.. theres no contest.. hands down miles has out performed harris on many levels .....if jm doesnt fight to take miles up with him hes a fool.....can you imagine the strength he would add up  the middle... not to mention his bat in the lineup and speed on the basepaths.... geez us....... if we dick around with harris and take a chance hes gonna turn into another clayton ....were gonna be f***ed......besides the only thing harris can do that miles isnt comfortable enough doing right now is bat lead off... i say let miles work it out.......he'll get used to it.......another main concern is what to do about danny... i have a bad feeling this is his time to go down with injury.... so now what........we need to get that pitching staff nailed down or were not gonna go anywhere...we all know pitching wins games...... ;)

I agree about Paul. I don't think anyone will pick him up, and quite honestly, based on what he's shown us over the past couple of seasons, it wouldn't be a big loss.

holy crap.. mark this day down... we actually agreed once again.....whats that make now twice this month..... were on a roll............ :D :headbang now if i can just get you on the miles bandwagon we will be in total alignment.......... :lol:

holy crap.. mark this day down... we actually agreed once again.....whats that make now twice this month..... were on a roll............ :D  :headbang  now if i can just get you on the miles bandwagon we will be in total alignment.......... :lol:

Heh. I don't know enough about the guy to be fully on his bandwagon.

Based on what I've seen thus far in ST, he's a guy that will definitely be in the bigs by the end of the season. Like I said before, if Jimenez gets injured or if Harris struggles, expect to see Aaron sooner as opposed to later. The thing that bothers me about his is what someone said a while back about his walks per AB last season. Something like 40 walks in 500 AB's? I haven't checked out the accuracy of that, but if it's true, that's something he has to improve greatly upon before he can be considered as a full-time member of this Sox team. That, of course, is IMO.

I get the feeling Miles and Olivo won't make this team (that means more Josh Paul and Harris) even though they should.

I think Miles beats out Harris if Rowand is feeling alright.

Jas....Rios can play CF fine....and Harris is terrible in CF. Just because he can play it doesn't mean he is decent.....he sucks. Hell....Miles could play friggin CF if we needed him to.

I hope Rios can play it fine, but I've heard many people say he sucks in the corner defensively and that worries me to the point if you can't play corner outfield, then you can't play in center. Of course, Manuel has said good things about him.

If Harris isn't needed for centerifeld then he's useless, he's tradebait in my book. I'll give him another shot in the minors, but he's lookinga lot like a AAAAer. I don't care how much speed you have, you need to utilize it. He's not great defensively, and he's not a perfect bunter, nor is he great at drawing walks and he strikes out too much.

I disagree defensively when talking about Harris. I've always thought that he is a very good defensive second-baseman....but not a good defensive CFer.

He could be a hitter like Luis Castillo in Florida....a slap hitter who will get more infield singles than doubles, triples and homers combined. He never will have a good OBP....unless he hits well. If he reaches his potential....he could be a .320 hitter with a .360 OBP and 40-50 steals, while playing good defense at 2B. He's a long ways away from that though.

I just think we have rushed him....you can't really rush power hitters...but you can rush leadoff-types. Last year, the Cubs brought Hill up too early...and he hit below .200....we brought Harris up...and he hit terrible.

Miles is just ready right now....and if Rios couldn't play CF....we could use a few different guys in CF, if it were an emergency(Maggs, Miles, Jose) and possibly even more(and that would only last 1 game....then Borchard would probably be brought up....that is, if Rios couldn't play CF).

Anyways....if we could get something decent for Harris....sure, why wouldn't we trade him? We got Yan in the minors who's just as good and we have Hummel, Jimenez and Miles who could all play 2B just as well(and eventually Yan). I don't want to trade him for a scrub though.....there would be no point to that.

Jas....Rios can play CF fine....and Harris is terrible in CF.  Just because he can play it doesn't mean he is decent.....he sucks.  Hell....Miles could play friggin CF if we needed him to.

We got Armando Rios to be a back-up -- not a starter.

And you're right, Harris does not belong in CF. He belongs either on our bench as a back-up 2b or EMERGENCY CF'er, or down in AAA.

And there would be no reason to put Miles in CF. If he's on this team, he needs to be in the IF.

Harris and Miles in the infield, Rios on the bench. We need consistency to be successful this season, not people moving around all the time. That is not the way to win.

Jas....Rios can play CF fine....and Harris is terrible in CF.  Just because he can play it doesn't mean he is decent.....he sucks.  Hell....Miles could play friggin CF if we needed him to.

We got Armando Rios to be a back-up -- not a starter.

And you're right, Harris does not belong in CF. He belongs either on our bench as a back-up 2b or EMERGENCY CF'er, or down in AAA.

And there would be no reason to put Miles in CF. If he's on this team, he needs to be in the IF.

Harris and Miles in the infield, Rios on the bench. We need consistency to be successful this season, not people moving around all the time. That is not the way to win.

Yeap, I believe someone else her brought up the fact that harris isnt being helped by moving him around so much... consistency is what we need.

No Miles can't play CF....that wasn't really the point. The point was that Harris is a terrible CFer, and can only play CF because of his speed.

Obviously Rios won't start....I was talking about being a backup CFer, in case Rowand goes down or he needs a day-off. Rowand could stay in CF all 162 games if he wanted to....all you have to do is look at Terrence Long in Oakland. There's a minor difference though.....Long's nickname isn't "Crash."

No Miles can't play CF....that wasn't really the point.  The point was that Harris is a terrible CFer, and can only play CF because of his speed.

Obviously Rios won't start....I was talking about being a backup CFer, in case Rowand goes down or he needs a day-off.  Rowand could stay in CF all 162 games if he wanted to....all you have to do is look at Terrence Long in Oakland.  There's a minor difference though.....Long's nickname isn't "Crash."

Rios can backup CF just fine... Harris in CF scares me... he would work in case of a emergency though...

By that i mean Rowands hurt, Rios has explosive diaherra and cant play, Borchy has a hangover and they managed to find harris in time for the game.... other then that i really dont wanna see him in CF... he doesnt have the arm for CF

No Miles can't play CF....that wasn't really the point.  The point was that Harris is a terrible CFer, and can only play CF because of his speed.

Obviously Rios won't start....I was talking about being a backup CFer, in case Rowand goes down or he needs a day-off.  Rowand could stay in CF all 162 games if he wanted to....all you have to do is look at Terrence Long in Oakland.  There's a minor difference though.....Long's nickname isn't "Crash."

Rios can backup CF just fine... Harris in CF scares me... he would work in case of a emergency though...

By that i mean Rowands hurt, Rios has explosive diaherra and cant play, Borchy has a hangover and they managed to find harris in time for the game.... other then that i really dont wanna see him in CF... he doesnt have the arm for CF

That's a little farther than I think you had to go...but it works for me. LOL :lol: