Sox interested in Beltran?

santo=dorf

no, but the point is same

we can't afford to spend 25 -- 30 percent of our total salary on one guy. Don't care if it is Bonds.

That Bonds thing is a little too far.

We could use 50% of our payroll on Bonds, and still win the division.

Anybody else, literally, anybody else, I would agree with you...but Bonds is value to a team is beyond numbers. Without Bonds, the Giants are a last place team...period.

guys who the sox were "seriously" interested in signing as free agents:

a-rod

mcgwire

bonilla

tartabull (when he was good)

bob welch (when he won 27 games)

joe carter (they couldn't even get buddy bell)

i'm sure there were many more.

For the Bonilla one anyhow, we signed Belle instead, so that one can be scratched out. However, every year and offseason are different. We should have much more money to spend this year, and a better idea of where we want this team to be IMO. Signing a Beltran is probably unlikely, but cetainly not impossible.

• 2 months later...

Eh, I see it as a front, to show people they're serious about the big time guys. I don't think we should go that route though. I don't believe in $10 million contracts. Beltran reallys hasn't earned that money. What lets a team win a WS is by getting lucky on guys whom arn't expected to be stars (see Red Sox: Ortiz, Arroyo, Bellhorn, Mueller, Reese, Leskanic...Marlins: Cabrera, Pierre, Gonzalez...Angels: Eckstein, Kennedy, Rodriguez...to name a few off each team). If we have Uribe, Harris, Garland, Crede, Gload, Grilli, Diaz, Marte, or any combination of guys break out, we will be awesome. If they don't, then we will do as we have generally done, second place.