We should not imitate the Marlins lineup

jackie hayes

I really don't have a clue who it will be but just a gut feeling. I think kw feels he has to make it up for the previous years of not doing much fee agent signing and just offer a bad contract. But i agree russ would have an era over 5 in the a.l. let alone in the american leagues coors field

If KW really wants to impress...we'll be watching Pedro or Beltran in silver and black next year.

Those moves are attitude moves...they give the team the idea that we want to compete, and that you should play your ass off and try to win every game.

How bad have the Sox been this year defensively?  Obviously there are some problems, but I haven't seen huge deficiencies (on the field or in the numbers) -- Jose's hands aren't very good, but he compensates for that in range and arm strength.  Crede's struggled.  But I'm willing to be convinced.  Where else have the Sox had big defensive problems?

I'm not saying there has been a problem, but it hasn't exactly been a strength. Look at the Twins defense over the years, how they have used that to their advantage. Hunter's a tool, but he's a CF-playing tool. Meintkewicz was very good around first. It's just a matter of them being generally better defensively. Don't anyone go throwing stats around either. The Twins are better defensively than the Sox. I don't care what any feilding pct, zone ratings, range factors or whatever say.

I really don't have a clue who it will be but just a gut feeling. I think kw feels he has to make it up for the previous years of not doing much fee agent signing and just offer a bad contract. But i agree russ would have an era over 5 in the a.l. let alone in the american leagues coors field

I definitely agree on Ortiz, I've been saying that ever since the rumored Maggs for Ortiz & Jones deal. He's just not that good. I'm thinking somewhat along the same lines for Perez and Pavano. You have two NL guys that don't strike out a ton of players and performing in decent pitchers' parks moving to a monster hitters' park and not getting to face the pitcher anymore. I really think if we get one of those guys there's a good chance they don't pitch nearly as well as their salary(I don't know their groundball to flyball ratio, if one of them is ridiculously groundball it might work. Then again, that's what Colorado thought with Hampton). I think Pedro is the best option for our park, but he is getting old and is injury prone, next I'd probably say Clement, but he is inconsistent and will probably give up a ton of longballs.

next I'd probably say Clement, but he is inconsistent and will probably give up a ton of longballs.

I was on this bandwagon until the last couple weeks. Then all of the sudden his velocity has dropped 8-10 mph, and he has lost his rotation spot to Glendon Rusch. Something is seriously wrong with Clement.

I was on this bandwagon until the last couple weeks.  Then all of the sudden his velocity has dropped 8-10 mph, and he has lost his rotation spot to Glendon Rusch.  Something is seriously wrong with Clement.

I wasn't really a big fan of getting him anyways. That's my problem with the massive desire to get a starter, I don't see any bonafide studs. If the A's had to give up Hudson or Mulder or the Marlins had to give up Burnett or Beckett(I know they have been hurt or struggling but they are definitely ace type guys) that would be one thing, but none of those guys are there.

Just say no to Matt Clement. He's so inconsistent, and he's the type of pitcher that excels in the NL because no hitting pitcher can touch his slider. Also, lefty hitters have a much better time hitting him than righties. Look at our two biggest rivals in the division, the Twins and Indians. Both these teams are lefty dominant. Clement is not a good match for the Sox.