Pain Free, Drug Free

Texsox

Now that I am pain free, and pain killer free, and can freely move my fingers, I thought I would stop by in person. My family tells me nothing was happening last week. I thought they forgot to hit refresh when they would read me the thread titles.

I did find it interesting that last week, zonked out on drugs, using only half my brain, I became a Republican. Hmmmm, maybe there's a lesson there.

Good to see you back Texy.  It was awful quiet without you.  Now if we could get PA back here to beat up on, we will be OK :)

I did meet the coolest guy last week that filled my White Sox craving. I walked into the waiting room and he was sitting there wearing a Sox cap. I was wearing mine as well so we had a little laugh. He's in his early 90s, use to sell programs for $0.05 at the ballpark and claimed to know most of the players in the 20s and 30s. He has great memories of his Dad telling him stories of the Sox WS win and always thought he too would see a White Sox World Series victory.

I wrote down the instructions to come here and post. He uses the internet a little bit when his great-grandchildren come to visit. If my Sox knowledge is correct, he was mixing up some eras, and was decades off with a couple stories, but most of the stories were very cool.

I'm not familar with old southside geography, was it possible to walk to games from the old stockyards?

I did meet the coolest guy last week that filled my White Sox craving. I walked into the waiting room and he was sitting there wearing a Sox cap. I was wearing mine as well so we had a little laugh. He's in his early 90s, use to sell programs for $0.05 at the ballpark and claimed to know most of the players in the 20s and 30s. He has great memories of his Dad telling him stories of the Sox WS win and always thought he too would see a White Sox World Series victory.

I wrote down the instructions to come here and post. He uses the internet a little bit when his great-grandchildren come to visit. If my Sox knowledge is correct, he was mixing up some eras, and was decades off with a couple stories, but most of the stories were very cool.

I'm not familar with old southside geography, was it possible to walk to games from the old stockyards?

Yeah it would have been. Stockyards were about halfway between downtown and the ballpark IIRC. It would have been where about most of the whearhouse district is now. I could be wrong about the exact location, but I know the stockyards were on the near southside.

Yeah it would have been.  Stockyards were about halfway between downtown and the ballpark IIRC.  It would have been where about most of the whearhouse district is now.  I could be wrong about the exact location, but I know the stockyards were on the near southside.

Wednesday morning, out of 6 people in the waiting room 3 were Sox fans and one was a Cub fan from North Dakota. I actually didn't want to leave the waiting room. Hanging with old guys. Talking Chicago baseball history.

Yeah it would have been.  Stockyards were about halfway between downtown and the ballpark IIRC.  It would have been where about most of the whearhouse district is now.  I could be wrong about the exact location, but I know the stockyards were on the near southside.

I was a little off. It would have been a little south and west of Comiskey. 39th-47th, between Ashland and Halsted. Definately would have been a relatively easy walk for that era. Sounds like it would have been somewhere around a 2 mile/half-hour walk.

http://www.kentlaw.edu/ilhs/stkyards.htm

I read The Jungle and had a few questions about life in the yards, but he quickly changed the subject back to baseball. My guess is he is Lithuanian or Polish.

A couple of things he mentioned

Thomas is the best "modern ball" hitter he saw.

Relief pitchers destroyed the game

DH wasn't that big a deal (go figure)

Managers are primadonnas

the game is too expensive, America's sport shouldn't cost more than dinner and a movie.

Night games are no good. Nightime is family time.

Baseball is better on the radio then TV

Who cares what drugs a Doctor gives a player. "Hell I couldn't pass a baseball physical, I know these aren't helping me.

Thomas is the best "modern ball" hitter he saw.

Relief pitchers destroyed the game

DH wasn't that big a deal (go figure)

Managers are primadonnas

the game is too expensive, America's sport shouldn't cost more than dinner and a movie.

Night games are no good. Nightime is family time.

Baseball is better on the radio then TV

Who cares what drugs a Doctor gives a player. "Hell I couldn't pass a baseball physical, I know these aren't helping me.

Those are all interesting observations. I love listening to old folks who have seen more and heard more then we all ever will because of our short-sighted, fast paced society.

Those are all interesting observations.  I love listening to old folks who have seen more and heard more then we all ever will because of our short-sighted, fast paced society.

The other comment that was made, and I wanted to find out how true it is, he said, and the Cub guy kindof confirmed that it wasn't until the 50s that the Sox-Cub rivalry thing really took off, until then it was common to be a baseball fan and follow both teams. They really didn't know what started the heated rivalry.

Can anyone confirm?