Favorite poker games

juddling

Well...after playing poker every couple of weekends with EvilMonkey and a few others....i think we've finally reached he point where we need some new games to play so i'm appealing to the board for suggestions.

We just play a friendly nickel,dime,quarter game and use wild cards every once in a while. We play games like Black Mariah, Roll Your Own, Stinky, and a few others but like i said...after so long and probably using every possible combination with wild cards we are looking for new games. So Evilmonkey and i are appealing to the board for examples and/or rules to games we might not have played before. I'm sure there are some different games out there so let's hear about them...

juddling

:fthecubs :drink :sosasucks

Dimestore is 7 stud face down where 5's & 10's are wild.

Screw your Neighbor isn't really poker, but it is a card game. The object is to not have the lowest card. You put 3 piles of x in front of you. You are dealt 1 card and you then have to decide if you want to keep it or switch with the player on your left. The player with the lowest card puts 1 pile of their money in the pot and the game continues the same way until all 3 of a players piles are gone. If you lose 3 times, you are out and the game continues until 1 person is left and they win the pot. What makes it interesting is that you just have to make sure that you aren't the lowest, so if you have an 8 and your neighbor gives you a 9, you aren't the lowest, so you should just stay. Then the person to your left doesn't know what you have and they have to make a decision. Aces are considered high.

You could play Jacks or better to open. It is basically Draw poker, but you have to have Jacks or better to open. If 1 player does they bet and then all players can decide if they want to stay in. Even if they don't have Jacks, they can decide to stay in and call the bet. Once in, you play draw poker to see who wins. Another variation is "Trips to win" where you have to have at least 3 of a kind to win the pot. If no-one gets trips, all $ stays in the pot, everyone re-ante's and you repeat the process until someone wins. This leads to some large pots.

yeah...we've played dimestore a few times. also play Jacks or better trips to win and several variations. we also play Up and Down the river, Cowboys, and what we cal the circle game.

juddling

also 10-40 can be an expensive game for us as well

I've played on that I really love...I talked about it on the old poker thread, before Jas messed up the board( :bang :D ). We call it 3-2 lowball. You throw in an ante, everyone is dealt 3 cards, and the idea is to make a wheel(3-2-A). Straights and flushes do not count...you determine the winner by who has the lowest high card(so obviously, 7-6-5 beats 8-2-A). You get 2 draws, so you can start out with rags and end with a monster.

I personally absolutely love it, and the pots can get pretty big at times, especially if you play with no limit.

What about baseball having this is a baseball board? It's 7 card stud with 9's and 3's wild (for innings and outs). In order to make a 3 that is showing wild you need to bet the pot as soon as you get it. And then there's follow the queens, another wild card variation of 7 stud. Queens are wild and anything that follows a showing queen is wild. BUT what makes it cool is that if another queen shows on the table the most recent cards that follow it are wild, none other. For example, if a queen is showing on the table on the first round of up cards and it is followed by a 9 and then the next round another queen shows up and it is followed by a 7 only 7s are wild. The 9s wouldn't be wild.

As for games my friends and I have this game we read in a book and tried out once. We don't remember the name, but it goes like this. You get dealt 7 cards. Betting round. Pass 2 to whatever direction you want and get 2 from someone else. Betting round. Then you throw away 2 cards to make the best 5 card hand. Everyone flips a card. Betting round. Then everyone flips another card, etc. Betting rounds after each card until all show. It's interesting because you can choose the order to show your cards. You can set up a bluff or show a sampler until the last 2 cards.

alright here's the deal with shotgun.

your dealt 3 cards, 3's and 9's are wild.

everyone has to beat the dealer: the dealer gets 4 cards.

So basically whoever stays in with their hand, has to take their 3 cards against the dealer's 4.

If the dealer wins, everyone who stayed in has to pay the pot....and you just keep going.. s*** gets expensive.