Get your bags together, go bring your good friends too

Cause it's getting nearer, it soon will be with you

Now come and join the living, it's not so far from you

And it's getting nearer, soon it will all be true

Now I've been crying lately, thinking about the world as it is

Why must we go on hating, why can't we live in bliss

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train

Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

here's my post on the matter from the MLB Sox site. Of course there are yahoos still getting the Rushdie thing wrong like they did in 1989. Then again, abcnews.com is still getting it wrong too, I see, so what do you expect?

-----

What a well-oiled machine our Homeland Security is...

Buncha dumb@sses.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040921_2381.html

Yusuf Islam - formerly Cat Stevens - was on a flight from London to new York and his name pops up on the terrorist watch list and the plane is diverted to Maine and Islam is denied entry into the US. He'll be put back on a plane to London tomorrow.

So what's the deal? Is he a terror threat because he only donated SOME of the proceeds from his 2001 box set release to 9/11 families, having already promised the rest to homeless and orphaned children in Kosovo and Bosnia??

Is it because he has ONLY openly condemned 9/11, the Beslan school seige and other fundamentalist Islamic atrocities like 100 times in public, expressing "heartfelt hooror" and accusing these murderous people of "hijacking my religion"??

is it because the humanitrian relief charity organization (Small Kindness) and the educational and scientific charitible trust (WAQF AL BIRR) he founded are grave and gathering threats?? Nah, it's gotta be the UK Islamic school he started up that has people all riled up...

Is it because he re-recorded and released 'Peace Train' last year as a peaceful protest against the US' illegal war in Iraq??

Is it because his misconstrued comments about Salman Rushdie two decades ago are still perpetuated today?

The world would be a vastly better place if there were more Yusuf Islams.

Buncha dumb@sses.

Lost in all this,

Is anyone else concerned that the plane was diverted? That means someone on the banned list was able to get on the plane and take off. Isn't that a little too late if they are terrorists wishing to crash a plane? If they were not concerned about him crashing the plane, they could have let the flight reach it's destination, then arrest him and send him back.

Lost in all this,

Is anyone else concerned that the plane was diverted? That means someone on the banned list was able to get on the plane and take off. Isn't that a little too late if they are terrorists wishing to crash a plane? If they were not concerned about him crashing the plane, they could have let the flight reach it's destination, then arrest him and send him back.

Good old homeland security. I sure am glad we made all of these people government employees and gave them all big raises so they would do a better job :rolly

They never should have federalized them. Leaving them in the private sector would have left the companies who are responsible for security able to be sued in the court of law for their neglegences. How do we hold a government agency responsible? Oh yeah, we increase their budget to fix their problems. :bang

He's been denied entry into the US and is going to be deported.

Gee, I'm glad the Justice Department and Homeland Security has the time, energy and effort to protect me from Cat Stevens. I feel so much safer now. :rolly

Personally, I think this is just a means by which slowly John Ashcroft will deport every person who is able to sing better than him and that way Ashcroft's "Let the Eagles Soar" album will go platinum. :lol:

Turns out he might have been giving money to Hamas and the guys who did the 1993 WTC bombings...

not so innocent...possibly. (and this isn't his first incedent with radical islam.)

I was wondering about that when they talked about his fundraising. Any info if it was on purpose, or he just didn't know where the money was going?

Turns out he might have been giving money to Hamas and the guys who did the 1993 WTC bombings...

not so innocent...possibly. (and this isn't his first incedent with radical islam.)

PA, Turns out thousands of Americans were duped into giving money to illigitimate 9-11 disaster funds that were actually a bunch of assholes pocketing the money.

Cat Stevens did not knowingly give money to radical terrorists. He is the one who said that with each innocent that is killed, so is killed the whole of humanity. He is the one who has said that radical terrorists have 'jijacked his faith.' He is the one who donated HALF of his 2001 box set proceeds to 9-11 relief funds (the rest going to his charities for homeless and orphaned children in Bosnia, Kosovo, and elsewhere). Somehow it doesn't seem like the M.O. of someone into the buisness of aiding and abetting terrorists.

If as a younger, naive, early convert to Islam, someone misrepresented a cause and duped him into giving money to supplicate religious types he thought worthy of trust, then that would be tragic, but no different than the above example of how American compassion led many to be scammed after 9-11.

If, on the other hand, our intel that Stevens has given money to Hamas exists because Israel accused him of it...

Foriegn Affairs Jack Straw has, fortunately, given Colin Powell an earful about the stupidity at work here.

And if there is something more to the 'this isn't his first incedent with radical islam' claim other than his railroading in the Rushdie blowup in 1989, please elaborate.

So an alleged (and alleged is the key word since nothing has been proven and he is supposed to have a presumption of innocence) supporter of Hamas is denied entry into this country when we allow actual admitted terrorists like Orlando Bosch and the leader of the Rwanda mass slaughter of the Tutsis into the US? Where in the f*** is the logic in that?

So an alleged (and alleged is the key word since nothing has been proven and he is supposed to have a presumption of innocence) supporter of Hamas is denied entry into this country when we allow actual admitted terrorists like Orlando Bosch and the leader of the Rwanda mass slaughter of the Tutsis into the US?  Where in the f*** is the logic in that?

You know that we at the Department of Homeland Security don't deal in "logical thought"!