Electric dog fence..

Steff

My neighbors installed one, but then the kids in the ara used to ride their bikes by and drive the dog crazy.... He would try to chase them, and would be getting shocked the whole time, Then he would let out this terrible shrill bark -- The kids kept riding by, the 'fence' was eventually removed, and everyone is happier, except the kids.

My neighbors installed one, but then the kids in the ara used to ride their bikes by and drive the dog crazy.... He would try to chase them, and would be getting shocked the whole time, Then he would let out this terrible shrill bark --  The kids kept riding by, the 'fence' was eventually removed, and everyone is happier, except the kids.

So, other than the barking.. it worked?

Ginger rarely runs off - when when the kids are out there - but it's that 1 out of every 20 times that I have to run all over the neighborhood to get her that's pissing me off. Now it's not that big of a deal.. but come winter time..... :ph34r:

So, other than the barking.. it worked?

Ginger rarely runs off - wven when the kids are out there - but it's that 1 out of every 20 times that I have to run all over the neighborhood to get her that's pissing me off. Now it's not that big of a deal.. but come winter time.....  :ph34r:

Yeah it worked, but the fence only lasted a few days... The dog actually never leaves the yard now, whether it was because of the fence I can't say.

Tip of the day:

Walk outside with your dog in good weather with a treat in your hand.

Feed the treat to the dog a little at a time.

Praise the dog after it does its business.

Walk inside with the dog, open the treat jar and give the dog a little of the treat you had in your hand.

The dog will follow you into the back yard soon without a treat and it will be MORE than happy to come inside on it's own if it realizes that coming inside=TREAT.

By winter time... you can let the dog out and it will wait at the door after it is done to be let back in because it wants a treat.

Tip of the day:

Walk outside with your dog in good weather with a treat in your hand.

Feed the treat to the dog a little at a time.

Praise the dog after it does its business.

Walk inside with the dog, open the treat jar and give the dog a little of the treat you had in your hand.

The dog will follow you into the back yard soon without a treat and it will be MORE than happy to come inside on it's own if it realizes that coming inside=TREAT.

By winter time... you can let the dog out and it will wait at the door after it is done to be let back in because it wants a treat.

That's how I did train her. Works like a charm. She's just run off three times since spring. Just looking into some options.

The electric fence requires a few weeks of training. You have to install it, then flag the area, then walk the dog on a leash to get him/her used to where the boundary(flags) is. You're supposed to have the dog on a leash and walk them towards the fence which is marked off with flags. When you reach the flag, you correct the dog as the collar starts to beep. The collar beeps when the dog reaches a certain distance from the fence, if the dog keeps going, the collar will shock it. You're not supposed to leave the dog out on it's own for about a week or so, which means walking the dog everytime it wants to go out. If you don't want to spend a couple weeks training the dog, don't get the fence.

The electric fence requires a few weeks of training. You have to install it, then flag the area, then walk the dog on a leash to get him/her used to where the boundary(flags) is. You're supposed to have the dog on a leash and walk them towards the fence which is marked off with flags. When you reach the flag, you correct the dog as the collar starts to beep. The collar beeps when the dog reaches a certain distance from the fence, if the dog keeps going, the collar will shock it. You're not supposed to leave the dog out on it's own for about a week or so, which means walking the dog everytime it wants to go out. If you don't want to spend a couple weeks training the dog, don't get the fence.

I should have just emailed you first.. LOL.

I want to do this before the cold weather.. and we start to work longer hours. Right now my folks are staying with us until their house is done and they get home usually by 3 so that's enough time to walk her before she defaults to the box. Once the winter and longer hours come the dog walkers aer back in business. Trying to make it easier on them to (they come by, let her out, play for 40 minutes or so then put her back in the house). We'll see. We haven't made any final decisions. Jim's daughter and her husband have it and it works good. But Ginger isn't a runner (they have beagles and they are nuts!)

BTW.. how's the little one doing? I have to call Jim tomorrow.