Should I, or Shouldn't I

WilliamTell

I see the thread about getting homecoming help but I kinda need help of my own. I'm not trying to turn this board into an advice board but I have a problem and I'd like to get some opinions from all of you. Anyways, this is my first year in college and I met a girl that I started to really like, and then I found out she has a boyfriend who goes to another school. And now I'm wondering if I should try to be friends with her because that might just hurt more knowing I can't be with her. But on the other hand I'd get a new friend hopefully. So please give me some advice, thanks.

yeah I was thinking that, and it seems like the obvious choice, but you all know that sometimes it is harder to actually do that especially since I'm kinda shy. Thanks dabears, if i can get any more advice I'd sure like it from anyone.

We're both college freshies, so i dont know the value you will take my advice with, but I would encourage you to actively become a major part of her life. I mean chances are... if they are in different states, they will most likely break up, and be honest thats what you want. Treat her like she is your g/f without actually having that title... I mean when the fracture in their relationship occurs.. the transition will be seemless.

just my two cents.

P.S. I had a dirty love making session last week with a asian girl.... it was interesting to say the least.

just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks Murcie, I really do want to be with her and the past few days I've been decided whether or not if it's worth it. I guess I might as well give it a shot to be friends with her and get to know her as much as I can. I really have nothing to lose at this point. I don't know her a whole lot yet.

Thanks Murcie, I really do want to be with her and the past few days I've been decided whether or not if it's worth it. I guess I might as well give it a shot to be friends with her and get to know her as much as I can. I really have nothing to lose at this point. I don't know her a whole lot yet.

Trust me, treat her as if she doesn't even have a boyfriend... honestly, she pretty much doesn't anyway. These college long distance things never work... ever... ever... I mean you dont really know her yet, so just make your move as you would if you were trying to if she didnt have a boyfriend, just not as aggressive. By Thanksgiving... she'll be on the market, and on the rebound, her panties will be sopping wet for the loins of a young handsome buck like yourself.

Take that to the bank!

If you haven't talked to her about it...ask her if it's a serious thing. If she's interested in you at all, she'll say its not so serious.

If a girl doesn't mention her boyfriend in the first 15 minutes you are talking with her, she's either interested in you or it's not serious with him. That's what girls do- they talk about their boyfriends.

Mostly, I wish they'd shut up.

Get her drunk and see what happens.

Wow, someone's sounding like me! ;)

As of now, after a short period of time in which I would have hit anything with two legs and female genitalia, I'm not at all enamored with girls here at college. To be honest, there are so many other things that are probably more important in your life. In my mind, there are so many things that can enlighten myself, that a relationship would be a hindrance to my expansion of knowledge. It may sound like pretentious bulls***, but I find college at this point in time to be a place of numerous possibilites in which I must not sell myself short.

As of now, after a short period of time in which I would have hit anything with two legs and female genitalia, I'm not at all enamored with girls here at college. To be honest, there are so many other things that are probably more important in your life. In my mind, there are so many things that can enlighten myself, that a relationship would be a hindrance to my expansion of knowledge. It may sound like pretentious bulls***, but I find college at this point in time to be a place of numerous possibilites in which I must not sell myself short.

Yeah, I've always kinda had the same opinion there like you. But I've realized I've never officially had a girlfriend in all 18 years of my life. I've been with the close relationship thing, but never an actually girlfriend and I think it's time to at least give it a shot even if college is supposed to be the best years of your life.

Man, there’s really no reason for you to be shy and mostly when it comes to talking with girls. I’m not saying that you’re afraid to talk with a girl but you should talk with her and get to know her without having to ask us. That’s just my opinion. Ask her things such as..... What she’s planning to do right after college? If she likes sports? And if she enjoys having to be in school for another 4 years? Again, in my opinion those are some good questions and you’ll probably have a good conversation with her. ;)

Man, there’s really no reason for you to be shy and mostly when it comes to talking with girls. I’m not saying that you’re afraid to talk with a girl but you should talk with her and get to know her without having to ask us. That’s just my opinion. Ask her things such as..... What she’s planning to do right after college? If she likes sports? And if she enjoys having to be in school for another 4 years? Again, in my opinion those are some good questions and you’ll probably have a good conversation with her. 

Yeah I know I shouldn't have to ask anyone on the board but I just didn't know if I should try to be friends with somone that has a boyfriend when I want to be with her. That was my problem. And I wouldn't say I'm afraid to talk to girls either, I have a lott of friends that are girls, just none of them know her. I can see where you're coming from Yoda.

William, I'm a little late to the whole thing, but as far as I'm concerned if you like a person, then definately be friends with them.

If its the type of person you get along with, have fun hanging out with and what not, then thats exactly the type of person you should remain friends with or become friends with.

Maybe she doesn't see you as a boyfriend, maybe she does. Right now she's got one in time she may not. One of my best friends is a girl and when I met her she had a boyfriend (it was a similar type situation to yours). While we've went out a few times, as of now, we just decided to stay friends and we definately have fun.

Plus right now, I'm kind of along the lines of Cerb. I just want to meet people and have fun...being bogged down with a relationship right now doesn't interest me.

Anyway, go for it.

Thanks, all of the advice everyone has given me is going to help me. I had doubts about even trying to be friends with her because finding how she has a boyfriend was kind of a let down, but all of you guys helped me to realize that there's no reason why I still can try to be friends with her. I'm sure it seems easier from the outside and maybe it should be that easy to just talk to her but thank you all.

Well, I'm a little late, but if you don't mind a girl giving some advice I just wanted to say something. I definitely say try to become friends with her. If she's like any other college student, she's looking to meet new people. But since she has a boyfriend, be careful. Right now, she's probably trying really hard to maintain the relationship with her boyfriend, and although in all likelihood they will break up, let her figure out the relationship isn't working on her own. The point is if she starts having trouble with her boyfriend and you and her are close, she may try to blame you for the troubles because everything with her boyfriend was going fine and then she met you. Even though, the real reason the trouble is occuring is because of the long distance. Anyway, my point is just be cautious. Get to know her better and the boyfriend situation better before you try to make her aware that you want to be more than friends. That's just my two cents.

Thanks, all of the advice everyone has given me is going to help me. I had doubts about even trying to be friends with her because finding how she has a boyfriend was kind of a let down, but all of you guys helped me to realize that there's no reason why I still can try to be friends with her. I'm sure it seems easier from the outside and maybe it should be that easy to just talk to her but thank you all.

Nah, its always different when you like a person more then just friends. At least it is for me...once that happens I go from being myself, to turning into this bumbling idiot (although some would claim that really is me, lol).

Nah, its always different when you like a person more then just friends. At least it is for me...once that happens I go from being myself, to turning into this bumbling idiot (although some would claim that really is me, lol).

lol I'm worse in some ways, I don't even talk to them for some reason.

Yeah, I've always kinda had the same opinion there like you. But I've realized I've never officially had a girlfriend in all 18 years of my life. I've been with the close relationship thing, but never an actually girlfriend and I think it's time to at least give it a shot even if college is supposed to be the best years of your life.

I'm not trying to say, "STUDY FOREVER AND NEVER f***!" (I'd shoot myself) As long as you don't latch onto a woman like a leech, you'll be fine.