1993: A Decade Later

Chisoxfn

Rob, I really enjoyed the article. I really remember that season. It was about the 2nd or 3rd season into falling the White Sox. I was a little kid and was so excited about the Sox chances. Black Jack, Frank, I loved the entire team, those guys were awesome. Then the playoffs game and I remember being glued to the tv with a couple of my buddies (baseball fans, not Sox fans and my dad) and man was I dissapointed every game.

Still, that was a fun season. I would watch all the games I could on WGN, and then after or before the games play whiffle ball our catch with my buddies.

I'm hoping this year would be just as fun and hell, I'd still love to play whiffle ball and baseball with my buddies after the games, but now I got that damn thing called work and school is more important :D

I enjoyed the article, but I would like to make one comment. In the second paragraph you compared the 1993 team to the successful "Go-Go Sox" teams of the late 1950's and 1960's. Actually, the "Go-Go" Sox were born in 1951. That team finished fourth, which was the first time they finished in the first division in many, many years. They had a 14 game winning streak along the way, which turned on the whole city. They were a running team, led by Minnie Minoso (his first year with the Sox), Nellie Fox, Chico Carrasquel, Bob Dillinger, and Jim Busby, to name a few. Whenever one of those guys got on, the whole crowd would yell "Go, Go" in unison. I was there and I loved it. That season had a lot to do with my becoming a Sox fan for life.

Thanks again for the article.

Actually, the "Go-Go" Sox were born in 1951. That team finished fourth, which was the first time they finished in the first division in many, many years. They had a 14 game winning streak along the way, which turned on the whole city. They were a running team, led by Minnie Minoso (his first year with the Sox), Nellie Fox, Chico Carrasquel, Bob Dillinger, and Jim Busby, to name a few. Whenever one of those guys got on, the whole crowd would yell "Go, Go" in unison. I was there and I loved it. That season had a lot to do with my becoming a Sox fan for life.

I am sorry about the error I made involving the Go-Go Sox. It is very interesting to hear you talk about their successes in the early 50's...I guess sometimes things get lost in history, I never knew about that 14 game winning streak...hopefully the Chicago will fall in love with this years sox. My dad often tells me about when he was growing up in Detroit and would drive to Sox games with his father in the late 50's and early 60's. He went to a World Series game against the Dodgers in 1959, I don't remember the exact game though.

I was a little kid and was so excited about the Sox chances. Black Jack, Frank, I loved the entire team, those guys were awesome. Then the playoffs game and I remember being glued to the tv with a couple of my buddies (baseball fans, not Sox fans and my dad) and man was I dissapointed every game.

1993 was the first season I really followed baseball, I was only 6, but my dad and brother were so in love with this team that I couldn't help but devote all my attention to the Sox. My favorite player was Bobby Thigpen, at the time I did not know he was traded until the next spring I got a baseball card of Thigpen wearing a Phillies jersey, I was heartbroken. That year My brother, my father, and I went to game one of the playoffs against Toronto...I don't remember a whole lot, except we were sitting in top of the upper deck in the left field corner. The man sitting in front of us had a radio and told us during the game that MJ was retiring. What a sad night, Sox lost and Jordan was retiring...looking back on it I appreciate the memories of it though.

damn this was a long post

I am sorry about the error I made involving the Go-Go Sox.  It is very interesting to hear you talk about their successes in the early 50's...I guess sometimes things get lost in history, I never knew about that 14 game winning streak...hopefully the Chicago will fall in love with this years sox.  My dad often tells me about when he was growing up in Detroit and would drive to Sox games with his father in the late 50's and early 60's.  He went to a World Series game against the Dodgers in 1959, I don't remember the exact game though.

My dad remembers that series awful well. He is a die hard Dodger fan and watched them since their days in Brooklyn. He's from Iowa and he'd listen to the games on the radio and he just remembered how much the Sox were favored and how his Dodgers went in and beat the Sox.

I can't ever say, well the Sox did this, cause they haven't done jack since, and nothing in my lifetime. I'm thinking this is the year :headbang actually I know this is the year :headbang

Rob, I really enjoyed the article.  I really remember that season.  It was about the 2nd or 3rd season into falling the White Sox.  I was a little kid and was so excited about the Sox chances.  Black Jack, Frank, I loved the entire team, those guys were awesome.  Then the playoffs game and I remember being glued to the tv with a couple of my buddies (baseball fans, not Sox fans and my dad) and man was I dissapointed every game. 

Still, that was a fun season.  I would watch all the games I could on WGN, and then after or before the games play whiffle ball our catch with my buddies. 

I'm hoping this year would be just as fun and hell, I'd still love to play whiffle ball and baseball with my buddies after the games, but now I got that damn thing called work and school is more important  :D

I remember 1993 vividly as well. I was only 12 at the time, but I remember it a lot better than I do most other things from that time of my life.

I became a Sox fan when they signed Bo Jackson (1991, I think it was), and I started to get acquainted with the team (Frank quickly became my favorite player). Since I live in CA, the Sox were never on, and I didn't know anything about WGN, and even if I had, I didn't even know we got it on our cable system. Then, one day in August (I think), I was flipping through the channels, and I came across the Sox playing the Orioles, and the Sox had Wilson Alvarez on the mound. That day he threw a no-hitter, and I remember how excited I was. Then, of course I remember when they clinched the AL West on a flyball caught by Darren Jackson (and the call by Hawk..."Darren Jackson.....YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! Your 1993 American League champions, Chicago White Sox", and the celebration was awesome. And then in the playoffs, Frank hit a 2-run HR off someone at Skydome, but that series pretty much just sucked. :(

10 years later, let's hope we have similar success in the regular season, but a much different post-season.

:bringit

Guest hotsoxchick1

nice article.... and to think here we are a decade later and still no freakin world series championship......... :P oh well... theres always next decade huh..........(only jokin).... that trip down memory lane in that article brought back some good teams of the past i had just put out of sight......ahhh if we could only have the 93-94 team back again for one more chance............

nice article.... and to think here we are a decade later and still no freakin world series championship......... :P  oh well... theres always next decade huh..........(only jokin).... that trip down memory lane in that article brought back some good teams of the past i had just put out of sight......ahhh if we could only have the 93-94 team back again for one more chance............

have any of us ever gotten over what was lost in 1994? I remember that team so well - the last saturday home game before the lock out, I was in the upper deck (where else) wondering why anyone would want to screw around with baseball - it cost us in so amny ways.

I am enjoying reading everyone's memories.

I was never a Bo Jackson fan. Never got that appeal. Maybe it was a generational thing. I remember Frank coming up - you could see he was something special right away.

I was never a Bo Jackson fan.  Never got that appeal.  Maybe it was a generational thing.  I remember Frank coming up - you could see he was something special right away.

Bo Jackson is the best athlete of the past 25 years -- how could you not have been a fan? And "generational" thing? I'm only 22. :huh:

I was never a Bo Jackson fan.  Never got that appeal.  Maybe it was a generational thing.  I remember Frank coming up - you could see he was something special right away.

Bo Jackson is the best athlete of the past 25 years -- how could you not have been a fan? And "generational" thing? I'm only 22. :huh:

I mean I never knew anyone my age who was that thrilled by Bo Jackson as opposed to other players. But a lot of people your age rank him far higher.

I suppose kind of like I have an appreication for Ron Jackson that you'll never have :lol: - although granted that B Jackson was a more versitile athlete than R Jackson -

Had Bo not suffered from injuries....he could have been one of the only players to have atleast been on both the Football HoF ballot(and probably voted in too) and the Baseball HoF ballot.

He was a helluva player.

You see guys like Deion Sanders....who are two-sport players, but only real good at 1 of them(and mediocre at the other)....and you still think they are amazing. Then you look at Bo Jackson....who was an absolute frickin stud.

I'd take 9 Bo Jackson's in my lineup over almost anyone....guys that have a ton of talent, but also a great work ethic as well....and a lot of heart for a sport. To play on a reconstructed hip is an incredible feat in itself...hell, to play in a slow pitch softball league on a recontructed hip is incredible....but he played major league baseball....and succeeded.

To play on a reconstructed hip is an incredible feat in itself...hell, to play in a slow pitch softball league on a recontructed hip is incredible....but he played major league baseball....and succeeded.

To hit a opposite field HR in your first AB back from surgery, after your mother died, when you promised to have the first ball you got a hit with bronzed and placed on your mother's headstone, is almost the stuff that legends are made of. I remember that HR and the towering fly HR he hit against Seattle which helped clinch the AL West for the White Sox.

Among other things, Bo made the greatest outfield throw I have ever seen.

I know exactly the one you're talking about. Runner tagging from second, Bo catches the ball DEEP in the RF corner, and Bo guns him out ON THE FLY at third. I'm as amazed today by that throw as I was the day I saw it happen. Unbelievable.

I will confess that I did not see that throw.

The most amazing arm that I ever saw over a season or two was on a young player from the early 90s who could rocket that ball in from the outfield. Unfortunately that player stopped dveloping as a fielder and had a bad attitude and I was glad when we traded him away after the 1992 season. Now that same dude cannot play RF at all and is all about himself and stats, an attitude problem that was developing when we rightly got rid of that now so-so player.

I will confess that I did not see that throw.

The most amazing arm that I ever saw over a season or two was on a young player from the early 90s who could rocket that ball in from the outfield.  Unfortunately that player stopped dveloping as a fielder and had a bad attitude and I was glad when we tarded hima way after the 1992 season.  Now that same dude cannot play RF at all and is all about himself and stats, an attitude problem that was developing when we rightly got rid of that now so-so player.

Even the great ShamME couldn't have made the throw we are talking about here cw.

Speaking of Ichiro's gun, do any you remember a couple years ago when he gunned down Terrence long on a no-hopper to third base? That was the best throw i've ever seen, and I still see it on highlight clips.

On a related note, there's something I like about Terrence Long, I just can't put my finger on it.

Another guy who had an absolute cannon was Edgar Clemente. I'm sure no one knows who he is, but I saw him in one angel game, through a peg from deep in right to home on the line and gunned the guy out at the plate. It was an amazing throw, best one I've ever seen in person.

The guy couldn't hit, but he was thought of pretty highly by the Rockies who eventually dumped him and the Angels had him for a short time.

Among other things, Bo made the greatest outfield throw I have ever seen.

I know exactly the one you're talking about. Runner tagging from second, Bo catches the ball DEEP in the RF corner, and Bo guns him out ON THE FLY at third. I'm as amazed today by that throw as I was the day I saw it happen. Unbelievable.

I remember seeing highlights of that very play. It was RAINING, and Mr T was doing guest commentary, and he started going crazy when he saw Bo make that throw.

And what about the play where Robin Ventura hit a rope to left-center field, and Bo made a full speed running catch at the wall, bounced off the wall, and gunned the ball to 1st base to double up Carlton Fisk who was on 1st and had rounded 2nd on the play. The ball 1-hopped George Brett and Fisk was tagged out for an AMAZING DP.

Bo was, and still is, the f***ing man.