FYI: Jeremy Reed

knightspr

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you differentiate between outfielders who play behind pitchers that are predominantly fly ball pitchers?  If a guy plays CF behind a staff that has three ground ball pitcher's does that mean he is not as good of a CF because he has less chances?  There are a million possible scenarios like that.

Pardon me for not being up on the details of zone rating and range factor.

If I recall from reading Moneyball, they kind of completely about range factor. They say its better then the older methods of rating defense but that their are still way too many holes for it.

I think DePodesta would do a different type of defensive rating and would judge how many runs a player would save or how many balls a certain outfielder would get that the average outfielder wouldn't.

He would set a zone that an average outfielder would cover and then outs made outside that range would be consier above average or what not. They would chart it out and it seemed very time consuming and pretty high tech.

Still, you have to worry about players playing different positions and like you say Rex, RF really depends on the type of pitcher. If you have a groundball staff, your shortstop is prone to have a much higher rf.

Personally I think when it comes to things like that, RF can tell you some things, but bottom line if your comparing two players, watch them play about a month (go through the tapes and what not of balls hit towards them) and see how many steps they can go, what type of plays they make. Then make an evaluation.

Yea, that just shows that a guy should just shut his mouth and see that he's not right all the time and the world doesn't revolve around just him. :)

Why is that? 40 ABs and you guys are claiming victory? Good luck! Reed doesn't impress me much at all. By claiming victory shows that you are rooting for Reed to do better than Borchard, which shows you are rooting for a Mariner to do better than a White Sox. Good going!

I hate to say it, but Reed shows the tools of being a good player.  Borchard has shown us he's just a tool.

The same type of tool Phil Nevin was before everything clicked? Phil Nevin was awful until he was 27 years old and only showed that he had some power before that. Borchard is very good defensively in right field. If and once things click for him at the plate he can be an all star. It may be a big if, but he still has huge upside. Here, check out Nevin's career

Nevin

Will the same happen here? Will he need a change of scenery to do it? I don't know, but the potential and upside is there.

The same type of tool Phil Nevin was before everything clicked? Phil Nevin was awful until he was 27 years old and only showed that he had some power before that. Borchard is very good defensively in right field. If and once things click for him at the plate he can be an all star. It may be a big if, but he still has huge upside. Here, check out Nevin's career

Nevin

Will the same happen here? Will he need a change of scenery to do it? I don't know, but the potential and upside is there.

Big difference between Nevin and Borchard......

Nevin immediately went to AAA after being drafted and succeeded there. He stumbled a bit before reaching the Majors full time, but a lot of that is because he was an asshole and didn't work real hard.

He was also given many chances at the Majors, more than Borchard has or will be given. I am not saying that Borchard won't ever become a decent MLB player, but I don't see his and Nevin's situations as real similar.