Who would you want?

Butter Parque

Who would be the first player you would want in the Major Leagues?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be the first player you would want in the Major Leagues?

• Barry Bonds
    • Albert Pujols
    • Manny Ramirez
    • Vladimir Guerrero
    • Carlos Beltran
    • Johan Santana
    • Derek Jeter
    • Scott Rolen
    • A-Rod
    • Randy Johnson
    • Ichiro

I chose Jeter over Bonds, because no one, in my opinion can do what Jeter has done and what Jeter always does. He's the most clutch and most valuable player on the best team in baseball. That play against Oakland summarizes his whole career.

No frickken way, he's been real clutch throughout his career, but if you think he's more valuable then bonds your nuts, without bonds the giants are right there with the dbacks this year. Either way if I'm starting a franchise I'm taking santana.

If you put Jeter on the Sox this year, they'd finish 5 games behind the Twins. However, if the Sox had Bonds on the team, they would likely compete for the division title. If I could choose from any of these players, I think the Sox would benefit the most from having think that Johan Santana would be the best fit. Not only is he relatively young, but he keeps getting better as a pitcher. It's getting to the point where it's an automatic win everytime he pitches. Therefore, if you can be almost 80 pct certain you have a great chance to win once every 5 games, then you give yourself the chance to put together winning streaks and prevent losing streaks. Of course, Bonds is best in MLB history. However, he is getting older, and you never know when he just might get sick of all the s***.

No frickken way, he's been real clutch throughout his career, but if you think he's more valuable then bonds your nuts, without bonds the giants are right there with the dbacks this year.  Either way if I'm starting a franchise I'm taking santana.

Wow Rowand 44, we agree on something!!! Also, let me add to the other poster that I love Pujols, but I'd rather let him stay with the Cardinals so he can torment the Cubs for the next 15 years.

If I want a guy for one year it's clearly Bonds, but if I want a guy to build my franchise around it's Vlad.

Vlad is a great player, but in terms of the future, the guy looks like he's going to have to deal with a lot of injuries. It's almost painful to watch him run some times, looks like he's running on needles. However, Vlad at the Cell would be fun to watch. As would any decent hitter it seems like.

For starters...I'd like to ask, why Jeter is on the list but not Miguel Tejada? And don't you dare tell me it's because the Yankees win...Jeter has a role in the Yankees success, but he is not a more valuable player then Tejada is.

Anyways, if this is a one year thing...give me Bonds. I think MLB has to do something about Bonds...he is too good. They like have to make him play with a shock collar, and if he becomes too dominant, they shock the hell out of him.

Also...it is hard to say what the Sox record with Bonds in the lineup would be. They would have had a chance to win 100 games, and I have no doubt about it either. You have to consider that he plays his home games in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in the majors, and he is still hitting 40-50 homers a year...if he were in the cell, I would venture to guess that 60-70 homers in our lineup would not be out of the question, honest to God. And with Bonds, you know that Caballo and Konerko would have had better years then they really had...and they have had some damn good years.

Basically...Bonds is as a god.

If this is something for the future...I'd probably take Pujols. He's a stud.

My first choice would have to be Derek Jeter. He is my 2nd favorite player (Frank Thomas) and he is one of the best hitters and fielders I have ever watched play the game. I were to take a pitcher, I would take Johan Santana. He is having a career year and he is dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Cy Young. He deserves it....

SwimBuddha

don't look now, but Santana is winning the Voting...

I, stupidly, voted for him... The streak he is currently on is Koufax-like. In truth though, I wouldn't pick him. There's too much risk there. I would take bonds/pujols. I need to see another year of Santana's SK impression to vault him to the top pitcher in all of baseball.

My first choice would have to be Derek Jeter. He is my 2nd favorite player (Frank Thomas) and he is one of the best hitters and fielders I have ever watched play the game. I were to take a pitcher, I would take Johan Santana. He is having a career year and he is dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Cy Young. He deserves it....

SwimBuddha

I'm going to have to pretend that I didnt read that line where you said that Jeter was a great defender. Jeter and Nomar have about as much range at SS as Drew Bledsoe has in the pocket. Jeter is a very clutch hitter, but for 18 mil a yr, I'll pass.

I'm going to have to pretend that I didnt read that line where you said that Jeter was a great defender.  Jeter and Nomar have about as much range at SS as Drew Bledsoe has in the pocket.  Jeter is a very clutch hitter, but for 18 mil a yr, I'll pass.

I don't see why he you think he is a bad fielder. His career fielding average is .975 which is pretty good IMO, OK maybe he isn't the greatest and I went to far with the best fielder I have ever seen but still, he is one of the best overall players in the Majors this year, and in his career.

I'm going to have to pretend that I didnt read that line where you said that Jeter was a great defender.  Jeter and Nomar have about as much range at SS as Drew Bledsoe has in the pocket.  Jeter is a very clutch hitter, but for 18 mil a yr, I'll pass.

I had an e-mail conversation with the guy who does UZR -- Ultimate Zone Rating -- the stats don't come out until after the season.. He said that Jeter is currently putting together his best season defensively in years, but he's still below average.

I was curious to see how Carlos Lee graded out... Carlos was slightly above average. A far cry from where he was when he broke in with the Sox as a defensive liability.

I don't see why he you think he is a bad fielder. His career fielding average is .975 which is pretty good IMO, OK maybe he isn't the greatest and I went to far with the best fielder I have ever seen but still, he is one of the best overall players in the Majors this year, and in his career.

First of all welcome to Soxtalk.

Second.. :lol:

Jetah is not even in the top 3 SS's in baseball, Certainly not the best SS on his own team, and not anywhere near the best players in all of baseball.

Bonds