Another stat I'd like to know

fathom

I would love to know an approximate percentage of what type of success the White Sox had in innings that they attempted to bunt a runner over? I've always believed that on a team with power hitters that aren't very good situational hitters, you're better off saving as many outs as possible.

I would love to know an approximate percentage of what type of success the White Sox had in innings that they attempted to bunt a runner over?  I've always believed that on a team with power hitters that aren't very good situational hitters, you're better off saving as many outs as possible.

In general, I think the sac bunt is a bad play. There are certain situations where it makes sense, but in the AL those situations a few and far between.

In general, I think the sac bunt is a bad play.  There are certain situations where it makes sense, but in the AL those situations a few and far between.

True, but last night was one of those rare situations, and Burke failed miserably.

Bunted it to maybe the worst possible spot, the first baseman ( the pitcher maybe being the other ).

But of course, the 3-run homer SAVES THE DAY AGAIN!

True, but last night was one of those rare situations, and Burke failed miserably.

Bunted it to maybe the worst possible spot, the first baseman ( the pitcher maybe being the other ).

But of course, the 3-run homer SAVES THE DAY AGAIN!

That's part of the problem. The play wasn't executed and an out was wasted. Even if the play does work, you are giving up an out.

That's part of the problem.  The play wasn't executed and an out was wasted.  Even if the play does work, you are giving up an out.

Also true, BUT if done properly, that out puts you in the position of only needing a single to tie the game, rather than an extra base hit. If the Sox had more players who knew how and/or were willing to shorten their stroke and go for what the situation calls for, a bunt is a solid strategic play. If you have all-or-nothing free-swinging, long-loopy-swingers, a bunt might not be best for them, even though it would be the best play to make.