Rowand on the Hot Seat

whitesox247

MLB Article

According to Schlegel, Rowand, along with Doug Davis, Casey Fossum, Toby Hall, and Chris Hammond, are players who have shown a glimpse of promise but needs to take that to whole different level in 2003.

Aaron Rowand, White Sox: In his third season in the Majors, Rowand's performance in center field for the White Sox could make a difference in how they fare in the AL Central. He gets to every ball, and that helps with Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez on the corners. But he'll need to produce offensively as well.

Rowand was going to be in the role last year, but the Sox picked up Kenny Lofton shortly before the end of Spring Training. This year, the job is his.

To fill the position well, Rowand knows he needs to step up offensively. As the starting center fielder last year, Rowand batted .268 after taking over on July 27. He finished 2002 hitting .258, with seven home runs and 29 RBIs.

"This is what I was looking forward to doing a long time ago. It just took a long time to get here," Rowand said. "Last year was tough, being that it was the first time I had to sit on the bench and just get sporadic at-bats. This year, I'm looking forward to playing like the end of last year, when I was getting the at-bats and developing consistency from pitch-to-pitch."

According to Schlegel, Rowand, along with Doug Davis, Casey Fossum, Toby Hall, and Chris Hammond, are players who have shown a glimpse of promise but needs to take that to whole different level in 2003.

Well...

Keep in mind guys, Aaron's played 3 years, but he's had under 500 career AB's. That's barely a full year's worth. As I said a few posts ago, the key to this team, and IMO guys like Rowand in particular, is going to be consistant playing time. Young players need to play regularly in order to get into a rhythm, and that's when you can get a clear picture of what he is capable of.

Rowand needs 400-500 AB's this season in order for this Sox team to perform up to their capabilites, and I believe he will hit .280 (or higher) if he gets to that mark. He's a career .268 hitter, so I figure he'll go up with regular playing time. I could be wrong...but I doubt it. :)

And besides, Aaron's just one of several Sox players that are on the hot seat. I think many are looking for Bartolo to be the guy that is going to put us over the hump, so he'll be under a lot of scrutiny. Carlos Lee is always rumored to be on his way out in a trade, so this is his chance to show the Sox that he deserves a spot on this team. Frank Thomas is again facing a whole hoard of doubters that you KNOW he wants to shut up (like he did in 2000). Jon Garland and Danny Wright are being looked at as very good young pitchers that need to improve and move towards realizing their potential. D'Angelo Jimenez is going to be playing his first full season, and he's trying to fill the shoes of a pretty darned good lead-off hitter (Durham).

So, basically, you can see that Rowand is just one of many players with something to prove in '03.

All i need to do is watch Aaron as a starter and he's been just fine in my book. I'm pretty comfortable in Aaron as long as he stays healthy. I think he'll be just fine and will develop into a pretty solid player. He won't be a star, but will be a good complementary guy.

I agree clujer. If we're gonna stick with Rowand, we need to play him day in and day out. Im pretty sure he's capable of hitting .270 with a .350 OBP. He's not going to turn into an Ichiro anytime soon, but he could be a very solid centerfielder, that is, without injuries or JM's tinkering.

The only "hot seat" Rowand will be on in 2003 is the one he makes for himself if he doesn't put up halfway respectable numbers..... especially with Borchard waiting in the wings. Rowand needs to do something for himself this year to peak interest from other teams. I don't think he'll be with the Sox after this season.

I was looking at the box score from today's 5-0 shutout victory over the Halos, and I noticed that David Sanders is still with the team, and hasn't been sent to AAA yet. He's pitched really well so far, and I think the Sox would probably have him as their 3rd lefty out of the pen (he'll start the season in AAA, but if Wunsch falters, Sanders would take his place).

Also, I really like this team you guys. We've got several players that can step in if someone gets injured or slumps. We've got Daubach, Graffanino, and Rios on the bench (all quality players), and guys like Aaron Miles, Joe Borchard, and Josh Stewart who will (likely) be in AAA and available for call-up at a moment's notice.

:bringit

I'll tell you guys... I like this team also. I think Rowand will do just fine in CF this year. He'll be a good solid player. And yes, our depth seems to be really impressive. If our stars can stay off DL, we should be a damn good ball team.

I was looking at the box score from today's 5-0 shutout victory over the Halos, and I noticed that David Sanders is still with the team, and hasn't been sent to AAA yet.  He's pitched really well so far, and I think the Sox would probably have him as their 3rd lefty out of the pen (he'll start the season in AAA, but if Wunsch falters, Sanders would take his place).

Also, I really like this team you guys.  We've got several players that can step in if someone gets injured or slumps.  We've got Daubach, Graffanino, and Rios on the bench (all quality players), and guys like Aaron Miles, Joe Borchard, and Josh Stewart who will (likely) be in AAA and available for call-up at a moment's notice. 

:bringit

Getting off topic here but......

Clujer you are right that Dave Sanders is still in Big League camp. The OF Anthony Sanders was the one sent down last week.

That said, also keep in mind that often times clubs will pull players from minor league camp to play in a big league ST game. So you could see players from time to time play up for the Sox that have previously been sent down. Although, generally that happens less the later you get into ST unless they are trying to showcase a guy for a possible trade.

I hate it when people right things based on what thy remember and don't take the time to actually check on it.

ctually, I think it is that I hate it when people wrong things based on what they remember rather than looking it up! :lol:

Good catch, I had missed that.

And I'm glad others here are liking this team too. I have Sox fever already. I want baseball now. :headbang

The only "hot seat" Rowand will be on in 2003 is the one he makes for himself if he doesn't put up halfway respectable numbers..... especially with Borchard waiting in the wings. Rowand needs to do something for himself this year to peak interest from other teams. I don't think he'll be with the Sox after this season.

With Borchard ready to pounce on the first open spot in the outfield, Rowand really needs to step up this year. If his injury is really bugging him this year, Borchard will take his spot in no time. Rowand needs to get the AB's in and really prove himself as a great asset to the White Sox, or Borchard will.

With Borchard ready to pounce on the first open spot in the outfield, Rowand really needs to step up this year. If his injury is really bugging him this year, Borchard will take his spot in no time. Rowand needs to get the AB's in and really prove himself as a great asset to the White Sox, or Borchard will.

I think Rowand will be adequate in CF this year; a .265 avg, 12 to 15 HRs and a .320 OBP. I also like the intensity and passion he brings to the park every day. One of the reasons I hope he does the job out there is because I really think Borchard needs another year of AAA. If Rowand falls on his face, the Sox are more likely to rush Borchard to Chicago, and I don't think he's ready. That could affect his confidence and his success in the upcoming years.