Bilandec effect in FLA?

southsider2k5

Just curious for opinions, with all of the repeated natural disasters in FLA could that state end up having a sort of a Bilandec effect on the national election?

[For those who don't know-here is some history

Bilandic was Chicago's mayor from 1976-79. He lost the Democratic primary against Jane Byrne, who gained a bit of political revenge by beating the man who had fired her.

Byrne's victory over Bilandic also was viewed as a stunning blow to the city's storied Democratic political machine.

A native Chicagoan, Bilandic was an alderman who represented the city's Bridgeport neighborhood before succeeding Daley. Daley also was a product of the South Side community, as were his two predecessors. His son, Richard M. Daley, is the current Chicago mayor.

Some observers say Bilandic's mayoral fate was sealed by his administration's handling of the Chicago blizzard of January 1979. He took a considerable amount of heat after it was disclosed that he authorized more than $300,000 in consulting fees to a former deputy mayor, including a $90,000 contract for snow removal that faltered after a winter storm smacked the city with 20 inches of snow.

Black leaders said a key contributor to anti-Bilandic sentiment came after train stations serving black neighborhoods were temporarily closed during the blizzard.

"I believe if it hadn't been for that snowstorm, he would have been re-elected in 1979 and probably gone on to serve a number of terms as mayor of Chicago," said Rep. William Lipinski, who served on the City Council with Bilandic. ]

Could the election swing to Kerry because of lack of response, or vice versa to Bush for getting them what they need to recover, or it won't matter-peoples minds are already made up?

Jeb is loved throughout Florida. Watching the coverage proved that for me. I think the Bush Family Dynasty (BFD)  :D  is on an upswing in the Sunshine State.

I beg to differ on some points, Tex.

As far as Jeb - he is liked by a lot of Floridians, and I think he's a personable, genuinely caring guy. I also think he's a heck of a lot smarter than his big brother.

The problem is that big brother W knows the hurricanes and the state and federal response to them can become a political pivot point and he is compromising Jeb's honesty in the process - especially about where the state and feds are falling down on preparation and recovery efforts. My institution's 'lobbiest' (he can't really lobby for us legally, but he's the guy in Talahassee that makes sure we have a voice so that's essentially what it is) has been talking with Jeb and Jeb candidly has said some things to him about some state and federal blunders this season that he obviously cannot say in public.

I do think there is the potenial for a Bilandec effect for some swing voters or some typical non-voters. I however think that will be dwarfed by the Democratic voters who were disenfranchized and/or bullied away from the pools in 2000. And again, some portion of the apathetic typical non-voters have been roused to (relative) action and will vote.

Florida is ANYTHING but a lock for the 2004 election (although I think Jeb is in for the long haul), if the election is allowed to proceed without tampering. Even with 97,000 Nader voters, tens of thousands more 'accidentally' purged from the rolls by Choicepoint, polling places in predominantly black precincts closing suspiciously early, etc., the state was decided by less than 600 votes.

Well the state GOP did successfully get Nader back on the ballot last week, but since he's not going to get that Green party vote he'll get nothing like tthe support he had before. We also will have (get this) international polling monitors from five continents watching over the election (in the birthplace of democracy - whodathunkit?).

Florida is not going to be automatically George's in November. Not by a long shot.

Just curious for opinions, with all of the repeated natural disasters in FLA could that state end up having a sort of a Bilandec effect on the national election?

[For those who don't know-here is some history

Bilandic was Chicago's mayor from 1976-79. He lost the Democratic primary against Jane Byrne, who gained a bit of political revenge by beating the man who had fired her.

Byrne's victory over Bilandic also was viewed as a stunning blow to the city's storied Democratic political machine.

A native Chicagoan, Bilandic was an alderman who represented the city's Bridgeport neighborhood before succeeding Daley. Daley also was a product of the South Side community, as were his two predecessors. His son, Richard M. Daley, is the current Chicago mayor.

Some observers say Bilandic's mayoral fate was sealed by his administration's handling of the Chicago blizzard of January 1979. He took a considerable amount of heat after it was disclosed that he authorized more than $300,000 in consulting fees to a former deputy mayor, including a $90,000 contract for snow removal that faltered after a winter storm smacked the city with 20 inches of snow.

Black leaders said a key contributor to anti-Bilandic sentiment came after train stations serving black neighborhoods were temporarily closed during the blizzard.

"I believe if it hadn't been for that snowstorm, he would have been re-elected in 1979 and probably gone on to serve a number of terms as mayor of Chicago," said Rep. William Lipinski, who served on the City Council with Bilandic. ]

Could the election swing to Kerry because of lack of response, or vice versa to Bush for getting them what they need to recover, or it won't matter-peoples minds are already made up?

Don't forget that Bilandic also was handling some of the blizzard issues while in FLORIDA!

He was tending to his sick mother, IIRC, but that didn't seem to come across clearly to millions of snow-covered Chicagoans.