Terrifying Stat

danman31

Please guess (don't look it up) the number of pitchers the Sox have with an ERA under 4 since the All-Star break, not including September call-ups.

The answer is....(drumroll please)...0. Oddly enough only Arnie Munoz has an ERA under 4 of all pitchers, but as a Sept. call-up I didn't count him. He has an ERA of 1.13 since the break, but his season long ERA stands at 9.82. Shingo is closest at 4.01.

Not limitted to just pitchers. (lifted from my blog)

I made a post last night where I stated that no player contributed to the demise of the Sox more than Joe Crede. Maybe that's a little harsh, but he's been the worst everyday third baseman in the AL this year. Before tonight, he was only better than Eric Hinske after the ASB.

Maybe there was like some really bad radioactive dirt on the left side of our infield, because the same thing can be said of Jose Valentin too. He has been the worst offensive shortstop in the AL since the break.

Aw hell, some of it must have spread across to the second base side of the bag too. Guess who's been the worst offensive 2B in the second half.

Maybe Joe Borchard makes sand castles in the radioactive dirt, cuz he's been afflicted too.

Seriously, how pitiful is that? The Sox have 4 position players with at least 150 PA's since the ASB who have been the worst at their respective positions at the simplest measure of offensive prowess.

I'm going to take a break from bashing Timo Perez after realizing that one.

Please guess (don't look it up) the number of pitchers the Sox have with an ERA under 4 since the All-Star break, not including September call-ups.

The answer is....(drumroll please)...0.

I'm surprised it's that many, the way they've pitched. Don't let Ozzie's ranting about small ball fool you - pitching is why the Sox collapsed.

I'm surprised it's that many, the way they've pitched.  Don't let Ozzie's ranting about small ball fool you - pitching is why the Sox collapsed.

Well, it started when the offense couldn't do s*** from the Twins series to the Tigers series in Detroit. Then the pitching collapsed without a lineup capable of keeping the team winning games at a consistant rate.

I wonder if this has anything to do with us doing a nosedive.

As much as the losses of Frank and Maggs hurt, the pitching staff has to be the number one reason this team isn't in first. This offense is more then capable of winning a lot of games with a good pitching staff.

All the starters have been pretty crappy. Part of me wonders if the extra heavy workload they had is part of the reason or what not. I know the Sox have a crappy pen, that was never in doubt from the beginning of the year (I know they started off alright though, but talent wise it never looked too grand to me).

Not limitted to just pitchers. (lifted from my blog)

I made a post last night where I stated that no player contributed to the demise of the Sox more than Joe Crede.  Maybe that's a little harsh, but he's been the worst everyday third baseman in the AL this year. Before tonight, he was only better than Eric Hinske after the ASB

Maybe there was like some really bad radioactive dirt on the left side of our infield, because the same thing can be said of Jose Valentin too.  He has been the worst offensive shortstop in the AL since the break.

Aw hell, some of it must have spread across to the second base side of the bag too.  Guess who's been the worst offensive 2B in the second half.

Maybe Joe Borchard makes sand castles in the radioactive dirt, cuz he's been afflicted too.

Seriously, how pitiful is that?  The Sox have 4 position players with at least 150 PA's since the ASB who have been the worst at their respective positions at the simplest measure of offensive prowess.

I'm going to take a break from bashing Timo Perez after realizing that one.

Wow...thats absolutely futile.

OMFG...Jose is hitting .155 since the all star break. Thats in 174 at bats too. On the season he has roughly 40 more strikeouts then hits.

If he is brought back....oh my god. Willie, who hasn't been great is at .242 but he had two months below the mendoza line.

Now on the other hand...Gloadie had a .900 plus OPS in a pretty full month (35 Ab's) in August and has a 1.116 OPS in 44 at bats this month.

Willie had 2 months where he had more WALKS than hits.

Hell, looking at Willie's splits his season was based on his one hot streak. To help it out he did have a solid August, nothing special though.

The one person I'm really intrigued by is Uribe. I swear he reminds me so much of Miguel Tejada. I have no problem pencilling him in at short and finding a way to get Castillo or someone else at 2nd base.

I think Luis Castillo, due to his contract, could be had. The Marlins will have Pierre/LoDuca 1-2 next year, imo. I don't know what it would take to get him, but Carlos Lee or Paul Konerko would be too much to give up for him.

Another idea I'm still into is acquiring Furcal and having Uribe at 2nd, although I Think Uribe is a very good shortstop, but he's a gold glove 2nd baseman.

I know I suggested Konerko for Furcal/Cruz, but I bet Atlanta would also heavily consider Lee for Furcal/Cruz. I'd then make a push at Beltran, have Uribe at 2B, and go with a left field of Gload/Everett. At 3b I'd probably stick with Crede and behind the plate I don't know. I'm pretty nervous in regards to Burke and Davis. Both haven't been all that grand as of late. I wouldn't mind dealing for a catcher. Hell, I've never been much of a Damian Miller fan, but he definately can handle a pitching staff.

Pitching wise, I would sign a FA pitcher and a good set-up man or closer. I figure 12 mill on pitching, 15 mill on Beltran. Ya, thats a lot of money, but at the same time you are dumping Lee's contract at 8 mill and of course are losing Maggs 14 million.

Lineup:

Furcal - SS

Rowand - RF

Thomas - DH

Beltran - CF

Konerko - 1B

Gload/Everett - LF

Uribe - 2B

Crede - 3B

Miller/Davis/Burke/Someone - C

I wouldn't be in love with the bottom part of the lineup...aka the final two hitters, but 1-7 thats a very good well balanced lineup. Furcal, Rowand, and Beltran are all capable of stealing a good number of bases. Gload isn't fast but is quick enough to go 1st and 3rd and well Konerko and Thomas are obviously clogs. Uribe also has speed, but Crede and the catchers are slow.

Rotation

Garcia

Buerhle

Perez/Pavano/Clement/Morris/etc

Contreras

Garland

Bullpen

Shingo

Marte

Cruz

FA

Cotts

Politte or whoever

That gives me 4 guys I got confidence in between Shingo, Marte, Cruz and the FA (I left at the most 4-6 mill to go to that guy, so I was overestimating, but I mean a good reliever). Cotts ain't bad either, I Think he'll be good. Don't really care if they give it to Politte (I'd prefer just giving it to a youngster).

If the Sox want to, they could make a change at 3B and use Crede, Garland and whoever to acquire a good starter and then sign more of a middle tier guy.

Another deal that would interest me would be getting Castillo and Mota, but I don't think they deal Mota with Benitez on the block. Lee or Konerko would be a key part of the package and they could use a 1st baseman or even a LF. THey definately will try and add a power bat to the team. Its too bad they probably won't give up any pitching, but either way, the Marlins wouldn't add much, if any payroll and they would help add a power bat and what not. I don't know if they would do a Castillo, Mota for Crede, Harris, Lee or Konerko. But Lowell may opt out, Harris could potentially fill in as could Crede and both have potential and value while they would add a power bat and could probably still have enough money to lock up Pavano. Probably a pretty far fetched idea.

Either way, Furcal, Castillo, Pierre (I highly doubt Marlins part with him), Itzuris all league like good/solid pickups. Vizquel looks solid too, but the others would be long term solutions as well.

Hell, looking at Willie's splits his season was based on his one hot streak.  To help it out he did have a solid August, nothing special though.

The one person I'm really intrigued by is Uribe.  I swear he reminds me so much of Miguel Tejada.  I have no problem pencilling him in at short and finding a way to get Castillo or someone else at 2nd base. 

I think Luis Castillo, due to his contract, could be had.  The Marlins will have Pierre/LoDuca 1-2 next year, imo.  I don't know what it would take to get him, but Carlos Lee or Paul Konerko would be too much to give up for him. 

Another idea I'm still into is acquiring Furcal and having Uribe at 2nd, although I Think Uribe is a very good shortstop, but he's a gold glove 2nd baseman. 

I know I suggested Konerko for Furcal/Cruz, but I bet Atlanta would also heavily consider Lee for Furcal/Cruz.  I'd then make a push at Beltran, have Uribe at 2B, and go with a left field of Gload/Everett.  At 3b I'd probably stick with Crede and behind the plate I don't know.  I'm pretty nervous in regards to Burke and Davis.  Both haven't been all that grand as of late.  I wouldn't mind dealing for a catcher.  Hell, I've never been much of a Damian Miller fan, but he definately can handle a pitching staff.

Pitching wise, I would sign a FA pitcher and a good set-up man or closer.  I figure 12 mill on pitching, 15 mill on Beltran.  Ya, thats a lot of money, but at the same time you are dumping Lee's contract at 8 mill and of course are losing Maggs 14 million. 

Lineup:

Furcal - SS

Rowand - RF

Thomas - DH

Beltran - CF

Konerko - 1B

Gload/Everett - LF

Uribe - 2B

Crede - 3B

Miller/Davis/Burke/Someone - C

I wouldn't be in love with the bottom part of the lineup...aka the final two hitters, but 1-7 thats a very good well balanced lineup.  Furcal, Rowand, and Beltran are all capable of stealing a good number of bases.  Gload isn't fast but is quick enough to go 1st and 3rd and well Konerko and Thomas are obviously clogs.  Uribe also has speed, but Crede and the catchers are slow. 

Rotation

Garcia

Buerhle

Perez/Pavano/Clement/Morris/etc

Contreras

Garland

Bullpen

Shingo

Marte

Cruz

FA

Cotts

Politte or whoever

That gives me 4 guys I got confidence in between Shingo, Marte, Cruz and the FA (I left at the most 4-6 mill to go to that guy, so I was overestimating, but I mean a good reliever).  Cotts ain't bad either, I Think he'll be good.  Don't really care if they give it to Politte (I'd prefer just giving it to a youngster). 

If the Sox want to, they could make a change at 3B and use Crede, Garland and whoever to acquire a good starter and then sign more of a middle tier guy.

Another deal that would interest me would be getting Castillo and Mota, but I don't think they deal Mota with Benitez on the block.  Lee or Konerko would be a key part of the package and they could use a 1st baseman or even a LF.  THey definately will try and add a power bat to the team.  Its too bad they probably won't give up any pitching, but either way, the Marlins wouldn't add much, if any payroll and they would help add a power bat and what not.  I don't know if they would do a Castillo, Mota for Crede, Harris, Lee or Konerko.  But Lowell may opt out, Harris could potentially fill in as could Crede and both have potential and value while they would add a power bat and could probably still have enough money to lock up Pavano.  Probably a pretty far fetched idea.

Either way, Furcal, Castillo, Pierre (I highly doubt Marlins part with him), Itzuris all league like good/solid pickups.  Vizquel looks solid too, but the others would be long term solutions as well.

Some of you may be tiring of my hardon for Jerry Hairston, but I'm really impressed with his numbers this year. If there was any way at all he could be had, I'd love to grab him... Anyone from that Baltimore bullpen/rotation who the Sox would be interested in?

Some of you may be tiring of my hardon for Jerry Hairston, but I'm really impressed with his numbers this year.  If there was any way at all he could be had, I'd love to grab him...  Anyone from that Baltimore bullpen/rotation who the Sox would be interested in?

B.J. ryan , jorge julio, and brian roberts even though he is not a pitcher. But ryan will most likely take over as the closer next year.