Andruw Jones a better fit for Sox then Beltran...

AngelasDaddy0427

Beltran isn't going to come any cheaper then 18 Mil a year.

In my opinion we should try to make a trade for Jones and make him our CF.

If we give them Garland, who in the national league, in a pitchers park, and under the guidence of the Braves coaches could easily be the ace of that staff in less then 2 years. Not only that I think Jones power numbers would increase playing in the Cell. He gives us a great defensive outfield.

Plus he's cheaper then Beltran.

Well whatever somone edit the title for me then...

What do you think of the trade idea...?

I think he makes to much for a player whos defensive skills are already declining at the age of 27. Also he is basically the same offensive player as lee that makes more money so that makes sense to trade for him. Garland will also only be an ace of a team is he is back in the minors.

I watch the Braves a lot and I am not seeing the "declining defensive abilities" some speak of. He is still by far better than anyone the Sox have had in the last 20 years, if not ever.

The only problem I have with Andruw is that he is RH. He does strike out a lot, but he also walks a fair amount. I think he would be a huge asset to the Sox and to USCF.

hahahaha are u kidding me garland for jones how dumb do u think the braves are?

jones is signed through 2007 for like $13 mill a yr. ATL would probably jump at an offer like this for a young pitcher who could give them innings. Salary relief is just as important as talent. Sure Jones is more talented than Garland. But look what other talent ATL could get for the big salary difference.

i'll take maggs over any trade or carlos beltran IMO

I would have taken Beltran over Maggs before his injury. Since then, it is a no doubter IMO. Maggs wants the same money, doesn't have the defense, speed, switch hitting ability, or overall talent IMO as Beltran, and is now a liability. Maybe he'll be fine, but we honestly don't know.

maggs should be 2-3 million cheaper and is already a known face in the clubhouse and wants to play for the sox anyway. better hitter IMO than beltran. solid defensive player

While he is a better overall hitter he is not a better overall player. Beltran wants a ridiculous amount of money though so i would take a healty maggs over beltran but who no if maggs will ever be the same player.

maggs should be 2-3 million cheaper and is already a known face in the clubhouse and wants to play for the sox anyway. better hitter IMO than beltran. solid defensive player

Maggs isn't going to be 2-3 million cheaper based on what he said to want. The only way that happens now is if the injury affects the market, and thus his contract demands. Remember, he turned down a deal for 4 years at $15 million. Say what you want, but he wasn't willing to give the Sox a discount in the slightest, and unwilling to work with the club to consummate a deal. From what I've heard, and noticing his unwillingness to deal until after FA, proves to me he really wasn't planning on coming back to the Sox regardless. This injury was a curse upon himself, and honestly, gives the Sox a break for not having to explain not resigning him. I liked Maggs a lot, but the contract issue got to me, and if I'm going to spend similar money, I'm giving it to Beltran, even if it is a little more. Beltran helps our club that much more than Maggs IMO. He's more of the type of player we need. Plus with moving Rowand to right, I believe it sets us up for a real strong defensive outfield, if it does happen.

i dont see us spending that kind of money on anybody but maggs. beltran will prolly go to yanks or other big market teams

Whether Maggs is a fan favorite or not, the money would be more wisely spent on a player like Beltran. He fits Ozzie's scheme more, and is the type of player KW is looking for. With that said, I think it is very possible to spend the money on Beltran while not spending it on Maggs. The organization is serious about revamping this team, and Maggs has made it clear on his own that he has little intention on coming back, unless otherwise forced to because of his injury.

We never sign big free agents. We're more likely to make a trade for big players than sign one like beltran. We might sign a 4-6 million guy, but i don't see a 18 million guy like beltran coming to town. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get him, but i dont see it happening.

Just so you know you're wrong here, Jerry Reinsdorf was the first person to give a hitter $10 mill a year...that being Albert Belle.

He has dished out the money before.

And has made a ton of big trades to bring in key guys. Just because we don't have an idiot owner who throws money at the flavors of the day doesn't mean they aren't bringing in key guys.