Andruw Jones a better fit for Sox then Beltran...

AngelasDaddy0427

And has made a ton of big trades to bring in key guys.  Just because we don't have an idiot owner who throws money at the flavors of the day doesn't mean they aren't bringing in key guys.

People give Reinsdorf a bad rap because he doesn't dish out for a lot of high priced FA's. But you have to applaud him in that he has not let the Sox become a team like the Mets or Rangers who just spend money and go nowhere.

maggs should be 2-3 million cheaper and is already a known face in the clubhouse and wants to play for the sox anyway. better hitter IMO than beltran. solid defensive player

Hmmmm Ok. Let's see better hitter.. Hmmmm Even

Solid Defense??? How many gold Gloves has maggs won? Yeah NONE and he seems to get lazy in the outfield. With that knee injury it will get worse. Thanks Maggs but goodbye

Beltran got 4 assets over Maggs. Health, Speed, Switchhitter and gold glove defense

Hmmmm Ok. Let's see better hitter.. Hmmmm Even 

How do you figure it is even? Check out their stats for the 3 years before this year. A healthy Maggs blows out Beltran at the plate, and is much more consistent from year to year. Maggs has a solid edge in BA and OBP and better RBI numbers in general(Beltran had a career year last year, and Maggs was still better or comparable in pretty much every category), and Beltran just hit 30 homers for the first time this season. I know it's a mute point now that Maggs is hurt, but I'd still rather not add Beltran or Jones for the kind of money it would take. We have guys that are going to produce similar numbers to Beltran at the plate. He's not an on base type player(.370 OBP this year, .354 career) and is not a great BA player(.267 this year). He is faster than anyone other than Willie, but I'm not so sure that he is that much of an upgrade over Rowand(I've seen him really butcher a few plays, and I don't get to see the Astros that often). Jones doesn't exactly thrill me either. If we are going to spend $13 mil or more on a player, he better be a damn good hitter, and I don't think either of these guys warrant a salary that high. Jones hasn't been anywhere near .300 in 4 years and has never had an OBP over .366. Beltran has flashes of brilliance, but isn't really a contact hitter and has really not shown that much power outside of this year. With $14 mil, I'd much rather see us get another starter and a solid bullpen arm or two, or if possible get a speedy leadoff guy that gets on base at a good clip. I'd rather not see us plug in another slugger with a medicore batting average and on base percentage, and a defensive game that may or may not be based more on reputation than actual ability.