Sox Pitching

Jake

Anyone notice we never draft any hard throwers? I got really excited about McCarthy because with his size I thought he'd be a flamethrower. Maybe when he fills out he'll throw harder.

Flash Tizzle notices :lol:

i guess hard throwers arent in the sox plans, which is bad

Edited by Tmar28

If anything, the Sox are guilty of drafting too many hard throwers and not enough guys who pound the strike zone.

The guy Mike is referring to is Nick Lemon, 8th round draft choice who can supposedly get his fastball to 98. But, he's extremely wild.

Dan Wright, Wyatt Allen, Jason Stumm, Rob Purvis, Kyle Kane, Corwin Malone, Brian Sager are among the many, many hard throwers the White Sox have drafted in recent years who haven't panned out for one reason or another.

the guy we traded to texas i think throws upper 90's francisco rodriguez or whatevr... you know the guy that threw a chair at a fan... he would of been awesome in our bullpen this year

The White Sox organization has gone to great lengths to preserve their dream of a 2008 pitching staff consisting of 8 Felix Diaz clones. Rodriguez puts that dream in jeopardy.

-KW calls pitcher Frankie Rodriguez in his office for an important meeting.

sox_colon.jpg

"Mr Rodriguez: I have reviewed your progress and have emassed concern over your velocity. Scouting reports are registering your fastball as 95, 96, 97 mph. I regret to inform you but a player of your caliber has no place on our roster.

Currently, my organization collectively believes velocity has no direct correlation with success in this league. We're confident major league hitters have difficulty catching up to 90 mph heat, and holding off weak sliders. Sit down and watch this 'best of video' I've been studying the last few days.

(pops in Greg Maddux VHS tape into VCR)

See! You don't need to throw hard to get outs. Velocity is vastly overrated, and when you witness my vision from afar you will curse the day god blessed you with a live arm."

NO.

/This Thread Sucks. Drillrod.

I hate how everyone over there posts the picture of [insert white sox figure] and then post an incredibly useful statement...

It would be funny if there weren't people who only posted like that, and entire threads weren't devoted to putting wirds in anothers mouth ---

/not trying to start something cuz I still laughed, but then I thought, wait, I hope this doesn't turn into WSI.

/not trying to start something cuz I still laughed, but then I thought, wait, I hope this doesn't turn into WSI.

No offense taken. I can understand how some may find it annoying since nothing of value is added to a thread where someone puts words under a picture.

Anything suggestions made to seperate Soxtalk from WSI will be held in the highest regard. :cheers

the guy we traded to texas i think throws upper 90's francisco rodriguez or whatevr... you know the guy that threw a chair at a fan... he would of been awesome in our bullpen this year

He would have been in Birmingham all year. No way he would have smelled Chicago. The opportunity wasn't there.

He would have been in Birmingham all year.  No way he would have smelled Chicago.  The opportunity wasn't there.

Which makes no sense to me. How was he no better than cotts, adkins, and mike f***ing jackson? Going into the year our bullpen was really no better than the rangers.

(pops in Greg Maddux VHS tape into VCR)

See!  You don't need to throw hard to get outs.  Velocity is vastly overrated, and when you witness my vision from afar you will curse the day god blessed you with a live arm."

:notworthy

Greg Maddux is a good example showing that pitchers don't have to throw 92+ mph to get outs. Ground outs and fly outs will get you the same thing as strikeouts: Outs.

:notworthy

Greg Maddux is a good example showing that pitchers don't have to throw 92+ mph to get outs. Ground outs and fly outs will get you the same thing as strikeouts: Outs.

Greg Maddux is an exemption to the rule. Throw below 92 mph you damn well better have a good repetoire. All of 'Mad Dog's" pitches have moment, change in speed, and pinpoint accuracy. Rarely in an at bat will you have a pitch directly over the middle unless its a mistake.

My concern is our entire minor league organization is full of soft tossers with mediocre stuff. Felix Diaz can't expect to fool hitters with his straight 91 mph fastball when his breaking ball is flat, or Arnie Munoz and his SLLLLOOOWWW curveball.

Yesterday I was watching Oakland vs. Anaheim and proceeding the removal of Mark Mulder walks a rookie pitching in his second game. Name: Joe Blanton. After pitching 3+ innings, striking out 3 and giving up 1 ER (Rhodes fault) I was close to writing a profanity laced post. This guys delivery/ "stuff" is strikingly similar to Jeff Bajenaru, yet Man Hands could barely work one inning of work in any of his outings. Did Anaheim not destroy Bajenaru when his pitched against them a few weeks ago? This is becoming insane. I bet if Blanton were to be traded to the White Sox he'd immediately give up 3 straight HR's.

How many times do I have to watch Minnesota, Anaheim, or Oakland draft and quickly develop a stud pitcher? Where's our Duscherer, Harden, F. Rodriguez, Rincon, Romero? You would think, by chance, some wild card prospect would rise through the system and quickly earn their spot on the team.

Maybe BMAC is that special individual we've been waiting for. I'll tell you this: if he is promoted to the major leagues and fails, or has any sort of setback leading up to his arrival someone needs to be fired. This is our number #1 pitching prospect. There's no one else within 3 years of arriving on the Sox and our organization needs proof its capable of developing talented pitching.

Interesting note ... Sox were interested in Blanton on draft day (in his draft year) and I think they took ... Honel? Or was it Royce Ring?

Anyway, Blanton was a guy they had their eye on.