Lee may be left out of future plans

greasywheels121

I know Konerko's had probably his best year in 2004, but I think Lee just had his best one in '04 too. I know one of them is most likely to go, and I hate to see either of them leave. However, I'd like to see Caballo on the South Side next year; he just seems able to still have more upside in him.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/new...s_cws&fext=.jsp

Lee may be left out of future plans

Outfielder could be traded to fill roster holes

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Carlos Lee's official contract puts his salary at $8 million for the 2005 season. About the only question for the talented left fielder is what team will be doling out that money?

Lee would like to return to the White Sox and is coming off his second straight stellar season for the South Siders, even without the presence of Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez in the lineup. But with the constant talk of changing the team's focus from a power-directed squad to a solid defensive team, with speed, pitching and some power hitters, Lee understands he could be the odd man out.

With an $8 million player option and a fracture of the navicular bone in his left ankle that is still healing, Thomas is certain to return. The situation with Ordonez and his free agency is far from decided, and Paul Konerko will be coming off of a 40-home run, 110-RBI season and is not likely to be moved.

Lee's versatility, in terms of his speed and solid defense in left, could make him a player on the block in order to accommodate the team's altered philosophy and possibly make monetary room for a frontline pitcher. The White Sox also are loaded with top outfield prospects in their system, not to mention Joe Borchard at the Major League level.

"I'm happy here, and I want to be here," Lee said prior to Sunday's home finale against the Royals. "But it's not my decision."

Lee, 28, entered Sunday with a .306 average, 29 home runs and 93 RBIs. His 415-foot drive to center Saturday night marked the 150th home run of his career, and he's one home run and seven RBIs short of his second straight 30-home run, 100-RBI season.

But Lee's game no longer is simply about offense. He has yet to make an error over 141 games played in left field (272 total chances) and has not been charged with an error since Sept. 13, 2003. That 159-game errorless streak looks impressive, in and of itself, but it stands out even more when considering Lee was a third baseman as of 1999, who hardly ever played the outfield.

"I played four games in the minors before coming to the big leagues and going to the outfield," Lee said. "It wasn't easy. Now, I really feel comfortable out there and feel like I belong out there.

"I've made quite a few good throws and overall I've played good defense in left field. I cut down on my mistakes. It seems like this year I'm throwing right to every base, but that comes with experience.

"As long as I keep making the routine plays and get to the balls that I can, I'll be happy," Lee added with a laugh.

Lee is one of three outfielders in baseball that have a perfect fielding percentage, joining San Francisco's Marquis Grissom and Toronto's Vernon Wells. But don't look for Lee to win a Gold Glove.

That sort of honor usually goes to players known for their defensive prowess, such as Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki or Minnesota's Torii Hunter. Even Lee's manager wouldn't cast a ballot for his own player, despite his flawless play.

"Defensively, Carlos is not a Gold Glover," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. "But you know he will catch the ball and throw guys out. I'm happy with the job he did this year.

"I don't think he's a complete ballplayer, but Carlos is a pretty good player. He's a smart baserunner and he knows how to steal bases. He gets big hits and he can hit for average."

Don't look for Lee to complain if he isn't rewarded for defensive excellence. In fact, he doesn't expect to ever be included in a list of slick-fielding outfielders.

"I will never get the recognition or the Gold Glove," Lee said. "Everyone that looks out there at me thinks I'm not a good defensive left fielder. Sometimes it bothers me because I work hard to try to improve my defense.

"I've seen guys who play their whole life out there, and they make mistakes that I never made before. They always have excuses for them, but if anything happens to me, it's just that I'm a bad outfielder. That kind of bothers me some times."

What doesn't seem to bother Lee is the uncertainty regarding his status with the White Sox for 2005. The team actually has an $8.5 million option for 2006 or could use a $500,000 buyout. But it could be a moot point by that time.

If the White Sox are trying to "climb the same hill, only using a different way up," as Guillen said Sunday, it might be Lee who is left out of that journey.

"I hope the team is happy with how I played, but I don't know. I really couldn't tell you," Lee said. "I'll be happy to be back here, but sometimes, you have to understand baseball is a business, too, and that business side will take over."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I know Konerko's had probably his best year in 2004, but I think Lee just had his best one in '04 too.  I know one of them is most likely to go, and I hate to see either of them leave.  However, I'd like to see Caballo on the South Side next year; he just seems able to still have more upside in him.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/new...s_cws&fext=.jsp

I think lee had his best season too... I don't think he gets enough credot for as hard as he works on his game both offensively and defensively...

I wrote about in my blog-- If the choice is between Konerko/Lee, it's an easy one for me to make...

Konerko out - Lee in

When the original discussion came about trading one of them, I immediately thought about trading PK and moving CL to first base. I think he could do it, as he would be an aggressive, power hitting first baseman with speed. However, I wouldn't have a problem with Gload at first, or PK either. I like PK a lot, but I want what's best for the team.

Im not trying to take anything away from Paul, I love Paul Konerko, but who could get more? I say Lee

I think the GM's see 40+ HR's and 115+ RBI's and get all giddy inside. I think Lee is more valuable to us.

Everyone should look at Konerko and Lee's respective home/away splits. Anyone sensible would choose to keep Lee.

About 1 month ago I hated the idea of getting rid of PK and keeping CLee.

Now after thinking about it and realizing we have a much better replacement for Paulie then we do for CLee...I would much rather keep Carlos.

That's the big issue in my mind. I like both Pauly and Carlos but to me the big difference is the ability to have Gload step in for Pauly if he was traded, adding more range, better defense, and more speed to first base.

I dont.  Every GM is so much smarter than 99% of the fans, they know what there

looking for. 40 HR and 115 RBI is outstanding, but there are alot more factors that go into acquiring a 9 million dollar player than HR and RBI, and when you look at the whole picture, I think Lee is total package.

Not to mention that most GM's realize he hit 40 homeruns with the Cell as the home field. Not to discredit PK for his accomplishment, but it's not the same as hitting 40 homeruns in Pro Player stadium as the home field.

Here's a question for you guys.

What do you think Carlos Delgado is going to cost this off-season?

He has a horrible first half, but there's hardly been anyone in baseball better than him in the second half.... If you shipped out konerko, there's a chance you could actually snag faster, better, 1B option for cheaper than Konerko's price.

He has a horrible first half, but there's hardly been anyone in baseball better than him in the second half.... If you shipped out konerko, there's a chance you could actually snag faster, better, 1B option for cheaper than Konerko's price.

7-10 million depending on how bad a team needs offense.

Lee does have the skills that seem to fit better with what the Sox are trying to accomplish.  I really think both players will be involved in trade talks and which ever one matches up best in a trade will be sent and the other one pulled off the block.

Agreed, whoever gets the better return in a trade out of Lee or Konerko will probably be shipped off this off-season.

Rumors that the Mets have being offering him a 1 year deal. Maybe we could get Sexson cheap as well, considering he's missed most of the season through injury. I think the Mariners will definitely get one of these two though.

Supposedly Toronto has offered him 3 years 21 mil and they expect him to accept. Saw it on TV, not sure where.

I've been critical of Carlos in the past, but it's really become difficult to criticize this him in any phase of the game any more... For two straight years, he has hit for a good average, with decent power, being underrated defensively.

The only real complaint you can have is about some boneheaded baserunning plays, but he's not the worst on the team in that area coughuribecough.

He's approching Maggs-like consistency, and being consistent tends to go unnoticed.

:cheers to Carlos -- Here's hoping he sticks around for at least another season.

Carlos is not going anywhere.  JMHO.

I hope that you're right because I have nightmares about the Sox trading him for a sixpack and a bag of beans. Carlos is just coming into his own, his hitting is stellar, his defense improved. He's still a bonehead on the basepaths sometimes, but if the Sox dangle him as trade bait there will be a long line.

This is a good problem to have. Two excellent ballplayers that can get you some talent in return. I'd hate to see either go, but it's going to depend on what we get back. As said before, CLee probably fits with what the team wants, but Kong is better for Coors East. If we get a great package for both, then, well, that's the way it goes...

He's not going to stay in Toronto...he'll get more from someone else. probably closer to $10 mil/yr. I would guess LA with his best buddy Shawn Green. Maybe we can get a package deal...we can send CLee and Kong for Green, Delgado and Edwin Jackson...and the aforementioned six pack and a bag of beans.