Upgrading at Catcher

beck72

Is Paul Lo Duca a free agent?

If he is, I'd love to grab him...

I'm not sure about his stats, but I know that he really, really handles pitchers well. And he's an awesome leader. IMO, he's one of those guys that stats can't quite tell you the whole story about him.

Then again, if what he's asking for is too much, then I'll back away from my comments above.

Is Paul Lo Duca a free agent?

If he is, I'd love to grab him...

I'm not sure about his stats, but I know that he really, really handles pitchers well.  And he's an awesome leader.  IMO, he's one of those guys that stats can't quite tell you the whole story about him.

Then again, if what he's asking for is too much, then I'll back away from my comments above.

He is, I've heard 3 years $21 million will be enough to sign him. With the payroll issues the Marlins are going to hav with Benitez, Pavano and Lowell, Lo Duca wouldn't be a bad get at all. He could hit in the #2 hole, or lower down in the order in the #6 or #7 spot.

He is, I've heard 3 years $21 million will be enough to sign him. With the payroll issues the Marlins are going to hav with Benitez, Pavano and Lowell, Lo Duca wouldn't be a bad get at all. He could hit in the #2 hole, or lower down in the order in the #6 or #7 spot.

Wouldn't that much get us Varitek? I think I'd rather have him. LaDuca is no bum, but JV knows the AL.

Wouldn't that much get us Varitek?  I think I'd rather have him.  LaDuca is no bum, but JV knows the AL.

Varitek is almost a lock to resign in Boston, he's the heart and soul of that team. I've heard he could get $32 million over 4 years as well I think. Lo Duca is probably the next best catcher on the market.

Varitek is almost a lock to resign in Boston, he's the heart and soul of that team. I've heard he could get $32 million over 4 years as well I think. Lo Duca is probably the next best catcher on the market.

Boston has a ton of tough choices to make with just their own players, then when you throw in trying to keep the Yanks from Pavano or whatever, they may focus elsewhere.

I was pretty certain he was but three different sites say other wise.

http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/05agency.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~pdave/id5.html

http://www.bluejayway.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3162.0

Boston has a ton of tough choices to make with just their own players, then when you throw in trying to keep the Yanks from Pavano or whatever, they may focus elsewhere.

I think they'll probably lose Pedro to the Giants or even the Yankees. They'll try to resign Lowe, and keep a strong defense behind him. Out of all the free agents on that team, I still think Varitek is the one they'll resign the most. It's certainly going to be a busy off-season for Theo Epstein.

He's arbitration eligible instead.

Stop the revolving door behind home plate. Lo Duca may be 32, but he's a two-time All-Star who transformed the Marlins' lineup and clubhouse since his July 31 arrival.

At the very least, the Marlins must commit to paying the $6.5 million or so it will take to retain their arbitration-eligible catcher. Better still would be a three-year extension in the $21 million range.

They'll hav Mientkiewicz at 1b. Even if they lose Cabrera to the Cubs, a DP combo of Bellhorn and Reese isn't that bad.

No way they go into next year with reese starting. They will they definitely have to resign cabrera. But anyway they must not be doing something wrong if they are 25th in the league in fielding percentage.

No way they go into next year with reese starting. They will they definitely have to resign cabrera. But anyway they must not be doing something wrong if they are 25th in the league in fielding percentage.

Don't know what Reese's contract is for next season, but I don't know if they can resign Cabrera or not. Varitek will be a priority and so will another starter if they don't resign Lowe and Pedro. I don't think there's any doubt the Cubs will be making a run at Cabrera.

Don't know what Reese's contract is for next season, but I don't know if they can resign Cabrera or not. Varitek will be a priority and so will another starter if they don't resign Lowe and Pedro. I don't think there's any doubt the Cubs will be making a run at Cabrera.

Reese is a free agent also so like you said it will be a busy off-season for epstein.

Reese is a free agent also so like you said it will be a busy off-season for epstein.

Would you feel more comfortable with Epstein having a busy off-season, or KW?? I like theo, and one game of my cubs-sox tix for next year says that he makes stellar moves and receives praise once again from peter gammons ;)

Would you feel more comfortable with Epstein having a busy off-season, or KW?? I like theo, and one game of my cubs-sox tix for next year says that he makes stellar moves and receives praise once again from peter gammons  ;)

I bet you don't get many takers on that bet.

Would you feel more comfortable with Epstein having a busy off-season, or KW?? I like theo, and one game of my cubs-sox tix for next year says that he makes stellar moves and receives praise once again from peter gammons  ;)

Of course epstein for the sole fact that he has a s*** load more money to play with. Which is the reason he can continually make good pick-ups and trades.