Nightmare scenario

fathom

What is your nightmare scenario for next year's team? I know this is premature and you never know how things work out, but I was just thinking of what offseason movements would be made that could make me cringe at the thought of our team:

- Trade Konerko for a closer like Julio Lugo and Jerry Hairston

- Sign a FA pitcher like Hideo Nomo or C. Lidle

- Trade Jon Garland for someone like Jose Cruz Jr.

Therefore, the team would look like this:

1b- Gload

2b- Harris/Hairston

ss- Valdez

3b- Uribe

C- Burke/Alomar

LF- Lee

CF- Rowand

RF- Cruz

DH- Thomas and Everett

sp: Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Lidle, Grilli

rp: julio, shingo, marte, cotts, adkins, politte

I'm just concerned that KW is going to be too willing to hand over starting jobs to the likes of Willie Harris, Jamie Burke, and Wilson Valdez. These guys arent terrible players, but they're not division winning caliber.

Now remember, this is not my idea for a team. Rather, this is the type of team that I fear KW might assemble, even though I doubt it. Please share some of your fears in regards to the 2005 roster.

Nightmare scenario? Not sure it classifies as a nightmare because it is realistic, but here goes.

Sox increase payroll to $85 million, announcing a commitment to the future. Sox still finish second, 6 games behind the Twins. Pick your excuse, someone gets hurt, someone disappoints, or whatever you want....... there will be one.

Nightmare scenario? Not sure it classifies as a nightmare because it is realistic, but here goes.

Sox increase payroll to $85 million, announcing a commitment to the future.  Sox still finish second, 6 games behind the Twins.  Pick your excuse, someone gets hurt, someone disappoints, or whatever you want....... there will be one.

That's funny, because I've been thinking about how strong the Twins could be next year. I think Santana will be a consistent 20 game winner for the next 5 years. Their bullpen guys are all young and very good. Guys like Morneau, Mauer, and Kubel are just going to get better. They'll have some money to spend on FA if they let go of guys like Koskie or J. Jones. I'd also be shocked if Radke doesnt go back to the Twins. With the Indians improving as much each year as they have, it's going to be an uphill battle for the Sox.

The biggest nightmare for me would be KW thinking that he has to blow the whole team up when all we have to do is add a few key peices here and there.

We already have what we didn't have this offseason, a solid 1-4 rotation with a chance to add a real good starter for a 5th. And also a good offense with a potential #7 hitter that has hit almost .240 with 20 HR's and almost 70 RBI's.

CF- Rowand

SS- Uribe

DH- Thomas

1B- Konerko

LF- Lee

RF- Everett

3B- Crede

C- Davis/Burke

2B- Harris

If we blow up the team then it will be a long time before we see anything even close to a second place team in the next 5 years.

What is your nightmare scenario for next year's team?  I know this is premature and you never know how things work out, but I was just thinking of what offseason movements would be made that could make me cringe at the thought of our team:

1b- Gload

2b- Harris/Hairston

ss- Valdez

3b- Uribe

C- Burke/Alomar

LF- Lee

CF- Rowand

RF- Cruz

DH- Thomas and Everett

sp:  Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Lidle, Grilli

rp:  julio, shingo, marte, cotts, adkins, politte

I'm just concerned that KW is going to be too willing to hand over starting jobs to the likes of Willie Harris, Jamie Burke, and Wilson Valdez.  These guys arent terrible players, but they're not division winning caliber.

Now remember, this is not my idea for a team.  Rather, this is the type of team that I fear KW might assemble, even though I doubt it.  Please share some of your fears in regards to the 2005 roster.

We go out and only get arms in the off season. The offense continues to blow mules and we lose a lot of 3-2 and 4-3 ballgames. But hey, pitching is all you need right? riiiiiiiight.

Why be so negative ? Let's talk about positives. Garland, Crede, and Harris are all young , let's not give up on them too soon. Ordonez resigns and heals. Frank regains old form. Carlos has a monster year. Contreras figures how to throw strikes. Garcia and Buerhle win 20 each.Cotts and Adkins pitch better with a year under their belts. Everett and all Alomars are gone. Uribe is the regular shortstop and keep improving. Paulie keeps hitting 40 and driving in 115. Marte pitches like he did in 2003 If all that happens i can live with a platoon of Davis and Burke at catcher.

If we have dreans why should they be nightmares? :bringit

Why be so negative ? Let's talk about positives. Garland, Crede, and Harris are all young , let's not give up on them too soon. Ordonez resigns and heals. Frank regains old form. Carlos has a monster year. Contreras figures how to throw strikes. Garcia and Buerhle win 20 each.Cotts and Adkins pitch better with a year under their belts. Everett and all Alomars are gone. Uribe is the regular shortstop and keep improving. Paulie keeps hitting 40 and driving in 115. Marte pitches like he did in 2003 If all that happens i can live with a platoon of Davis and Burke at catcher.

And the Sox still finish 8 games behind the Twins in 2nd place. :lol:

Thomas can't produce, goes down with injury. Everett continues sucking, but must play. Ordonez signs to yankees. Valentin resigned, Uribe moves to second. Rowand hurt, replaced by Harris in center. Davis, Burke, and Alomar provide no production. Konerko tears up first half, blasting 30, but enters home run derby and slumps the rest of the year. Lee decides he's a basestealer, attempting to steal everytime he gets on. 13 SB 87 CS. Brandon McCarthy starts 5-0 with a perfect game and only 3 ER. Goes down with torn labrum. Crede plays to his .220 20HR 50RBI expectation. Buehrle goes 12-12, along with Freddy Garcia, both with near 5 ERA's. Contreras goes 7-16, leading the league with 54 wild pitches. Throws 4 fastballs all year. Garland pitches to a 8-8 record and a 4 and a half ERA. Many fifth starters tried, but to no avail. Sox finish dead last in MLB.

What is your nightmare scenario for next year's team?  I know this is premature and you never know how things work out, but I was just thinking of what offseason movements would be made that could make me cringe at the thought of our team:

1b- Gload

2b- Harris/Hairston

ss- Valdez

3b- Uribe

C- Burke/Alomar

LF- Lee

CF- Rowand

RF- Cruz

DH- Thomas and Everett

sp:  Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Lidle, Grilli

rp:  julio, shingo, marte, cotts, adkins, politte

I'm just concerned that KW is going to be too willing to hand over starting jobs to the likes of Willie Harris, Jamie Burke, and Wilson Valdez.  These guys arent terrible players, but they're not division winning caliber.

Now remember, this is not my idea for a team.  Rather, this is the type of team that I fear KW might assemble, even though I doubt it.  Please share some of your fears in regards to the 2005 roster.

Haha, so we're going to trade for Julio Lugo and Jerry Hairston? Which team gets Konerko, Tampa Bay or Baltimore? Julio Lugo is a SS. Jorge Julio is the pitcher on the O's. Nomo and Lidle are terrible. Jose Cruz Jr. could be had for much less than Garland. With Crawford, Rocco, and Gaitwright in the OF already, Huff can play OF, and Upton may end up in the OF, Cruz is on his way out.

Haha, so we're going to trade for Julio Lugo and Jerry Hairston? Which team gets Konerko, Tampa Bay or Baltimore? Julio Lugo is a SS. Jorge Julio is the pitcher on the O's. Nomo and Lidle are terrible. Jose Cruz Jr. could be had for much less than Garland. With Crawford, Rocco, and Gaitwright in the OF already, Huff can play OF, and Upton may end up in the OF, Cruz is on his way out.

s***, I meant it to be Jorge Julio. Sorry about that Steve.

We already have what we didn't have this offseason, a solid 1-4 rotation with a chance to add a real good starter for a 5th.

Who are these 1-4 you speak of? What year are we in? If in 04 looking towards the 05 season you are wrong. Buehrle and Garcia are solid pitchers but neither is a #1. Contreras is a good #5 a crappy 4 and a s***ty 3. Then you got Garland who like Contreras can be lights out but can also be throwing BP. I am sorry but we do not have a solid 1-4. If we add a real ace and push everyone up then it makes the team a lot better since we have 3 solid pitchers which makes the last two argueably good.

4.78 era with the white sox. I would also consider that disappointing since he is suppose to be a 1-2.

He's been pitching injured for a while and he's been pitching in meaningless games for a while now, I guess you can see he hasn't pitched great for us but I'm definitely not worried about him, he's a very good number 2 starter, imo.