Carlos Delgado

DBAHO

Now with Konerko making $8.5 million next season, if Delgado does sign for $7 million a season, which would be pretty crazy in my mind, it would probably be harder to deal Paulie money wise, but with one less free agent first baseman on the market, some team like Seattle could get desperate and try to make a deal for him. FWIW, Ricciardi has said the report is false though.

Ricciardi said of a Toronto television report which claimed the Jays are on the verge of offering their superstar first baseman a three-year deal worth $21 million (all figures U.S.).

The reported figure of $7 million per season over three years for Delgado appears embarrassingly low for both sides.

Delgado is set to become a free agent at the end of this season. If he were in a situation where he could request arbitration, it's almost certain he would be awarded more than double the reported $7 million salary.

Now with Konerko making $8.5 million next season, if Delgado does sign for $7 million a season, which would be pretty crazy in my mind, it would probably be harder to deal Paulie money wise, but with one less free agent first baseman on the market, some team like Seattle could get desperate and try to make a deal for him. FWIW, Ricciardi has said the report is false though.

I was on the blue jays message board yesterday and they have said delgado said it has been great while it has lasted and he feels it is time to move on. So i highly doubt this is true like you said.

Delgado will sign with LA.

And, I feel as though I can safely say, count on it.

There's definitely 3 teams on the market for Delgado this offseason.

LA - Have a hole to fill at first, don't know if they could sign him payroll wise, depends how much of a payroll McCourt gives Depodesta. Of course they have to possible resing Beltre as well.

Baltimore - With Palmeiro not coming back, Delgado would be the perfect DH / 1B. But they could target pitching instead.

Seattle - I think he'll wind up here actually. The Mariners need to make a big splash in FA to convince the fans they can be competitive. I look for one of Sexson, Glaus or Delgado to definitely wind up with the Mariners.

I was on the blue jays message board yesterday and they have said delgado said it has been great while it has lasted and he feels it is time to move on. So i highly doubt this is true like you said.

The fans obviously don't have the say in what happens though. Why do you think people complain so much here?

I don't think that is right.  The Jays have to offer him at least 80% of this years salary.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that prior to offering arbitration, teams can work out contracts at any salary. Even once arbitration has been offered by the team and accepted by the player, but prior to appearing before the arbitrator, they can work out a deal for any salary. Once the case reaches an arbitration hearing, then the salary must be no less than a 20% decrease in salary. I can't find the official rules anywhere, but I thought this was the case.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that prior to offering arbitration, teams can work out contracts at any salary.  Even once arbitration has been offered by the team and accepted by the player, but prior to appearing before the arbitrator, they can work out a deal for any salary.  Once the case reaches an arbitration hearing, then the salary must be no less than a 20% decrease in salary.  I can't find the official rules anywhere, but I thought this was the case.

I am quite sure that you are correct.