So Illinois Tollway users...

Queen Prawn

Like this or not?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Like this or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (mention why in the middle below)

Tollway Authority Approves Rebuilding Plan

Tollway Authority Approves Rebuilding Plan

POSTED: 8:44 am CDT September 30, 2004

UPDATED: 12:30 pm CDT September 30, 2004

CHICAGO -- The board of directors for the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority unanimously approved a $5.3 billion plan Thursday to rebuild the state's tollway system and eliminated its congested toll plazas.

Under the plan, tolls will double starting in January for drivers who aren't using I-PASS transponders, the automatic toll payment devices that make it possible to pay without slowing to go through the current toll plazas.

Drivers who use I-Pass will see no increase in their tolls, generally 40 cents.

I have mixed feelings about this. Brain and I both have the I-Pass, but I am not sure I like seeing people who don't pay double. I am also curious what they decided to do with the truck tolls (no mention of it in this article).

iPass saves the state money, and favors the regular user. Volume pricing, passing cost savings on to the end user, all sounds good to me.

But then again my toll situation is the land bridge from the US to Mexico where a ipass type device just saves us time from the $2 toll every fricking day.

There is an alternative to 294, just go thru the city. If you want to avoid the city, pay the toll. I have mixed feelings about the trucks situation. I have several truck drivers in the family, and independants can get squeezed easily. However, as a regular driver on I-294 from I-394 on up to I-290, I HATE the amount of trucks I have to deal with on a daily basis. Some days, I can't even see other cars, just trucks. Screw the out of state people who don't come here often, I don't care about them. Just let me get to and from work as fast as I can.

FYI, the last report I saw had truck rates almost tripling, but offering discounts for trucks driving during non-peak hours. I am all for that. I hate it when half the vehicles I see at 7am are semi's.

Thankfully I have IPass but this totally sucks. They have lied for so long about this tollway. When they first opened it the tolls were only temporary and it was going to become a freeway but now these bastards see how much money they will lose out on so it will never be a freeway. I however will like it very much if they extend I 355 down to I 80. Considering I commute from Joliet to Carol Stream everyday that would be a lot easier than having to drive through the small towns just to get to I 55 then I 355.

I have no problem with tolls, but I do have issues with non-IPASS using people more. I travel on Indiana and Ohio's tollway occasionally and I know it would piss me off to know I was paying twice as much as the next guy because I don't have their version of an IPASS.

The numbers of trucks on the tri-state during rush hour is unreal. As EvilMonkey mentioned, if they can offer lower rates for trucks to travel at non-rush hour times that would help a great deal.

I like that they are going to make the other toll stops similar to the ones on 355 - those are painless to get through (not considering rush hour of course lol).

I have no problem with tolls, but I do have issues with non-IPASS using people more.  I travel on Indiana and Ohio's tollway occasionally and I know it would piss me off to know I was paying twice as much as the next guy because I don't have their version of an IPASS.

The numbers of trucks on the tri-state during rush hour is unreal.  As EvilMonkey mentioned,  if they can offer lower rates for trucks to travel at non-rush hour times that would help a great deal.

I like that they are going to make the other toll stops similar to the ones on 355 - those are painless to get through (not considering rush hour of course lol).

Think of it this way you tax dollars are supporting the police that patrol the toll roads and pay for the surface roads they get off on.

They are going to redirect truck traffic through the city if they go through with the original toll increase proposals.  No doubt about it.

Not necessarily. There is a time/benefit analysis that will happen. Delaying a driver :30 to save $2 isn't a smart move for most freight companies.

What a crock of s*** this is. Back when the toll roads were constructed, the deal was the tolls would go away when the road is paid for. Well, the lawyers found a loophole and totally turned the original intent of the agreement to be when all of the roads are paid for. Well the way to never let the "roads" be paid for is to keep constructing them and of course to funnel some of that money to the palatial toll authority building they have. Gimme a break.

On the way to the city yesterday, the cash box by O'Hare had plenty of open non- I-pass lanes, but the I-Pass lane was backed up about 15 cars behind the toll plaza. WTF is that? They just spent how much to put that lane in and now it doesn't even move. This is what pisses me off about this whole toll deal and to why we will NEVER get rid of them. The Toll Authority is a joke and is just stuffing their own pockets.

So let's get this straight. The I-Pass Transponder costs $20. They take your $$ that you put in your I-Pass account and turn around an invest that too, so more $$ from the interest on your free money. Not to mention getting an additional .40 from non I-pass users who may only use the roads occasionally, so it doesn't make sense to buy the $20 I-Pass unit. Not to mention that all of the toll authority big shots get to keep their cushy high paying jobs because they know all they have to do is "Build another road" or do another rehab project to keep thier cash coming in. And who gets screwed??? US!!!

On the way to the city yesterday, the cash box by O'Hare had plenty of open non- I-pass lanes, but the I-Pass lane was backed up about 15 cars behind the toll plaza.  WTF is that?  They just spent how much to put that lane in and now it doesn't even move.  This is what pisses me off about this whole toll deal and to why we will NEVER get rid of them.  The Toll Authority is a joke and is just stuffing their own pockets.

That's how all the old (as opposed to the configuration on I-355) are now. I am grateful that the ones that I go through on the tri-state that used to be trucks only can have trucks and cars go through it - it helps a tiny bit.

When you start talking about 5-6 tolls it adds up.  They are wanting to make the truck tolls $4 each.

Fuel costs, driver costs, it all adds up. And Steff is correct, it will just get passed on. Since everyone will use the toll roads all truck lines will have an equal increase. Absent of a competitive reason, increase the few dollars. It will be more of a burden for the LTL shippers.

Fuel costs, driver costs, it all adds up. And Steff is correct, it will just get passed on. Since everyone will use the toll roads all truck lines will have an equal increase. Absent of a competitive reason, increase the few dollars. It will be more of a burden for the LTL shippers.

We've already forecasted '05 with an added surcharge. What a pain in the rear end that was to figure out.. :banghead

Who's going to pay for road improvements if there are no tolls..??

I love the idea - and yes I have an IPass.

That's not the point, really - we were told that the tolls were temporary when it began.

The old Bait And Switch is what it is.

I don't have a big problem with it - I'll pay the extra tolls to avoid getting the I-Pass, just because I don't drive the tollway that often and I don't WANT an I-Pass.

That's not the point, really - we were told that the tolls were temporary when it began.

The old Bait And Switch is what it is.

I don't have a big problem with it - I'll pay the extra tolls to avoid getting the I-Pass, just because I don't drive the tollway that often and I don't WANT an I-Pass.

I was told I'd get a 7% raise and a bigger office.. things change. :lol:

I'm sure the intent was to be temporary. But logically.. how would road improvements be paid for..? More taxes to EVERYONE...? Or just a little higher toll? I vote toll. And I'd vote that even if I didn't have an IPass and was just a casual user. Personally.. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't get an IPass. And if you think about it.. it shorts the state if more people do get one. IMO, they are trying to eliminate as much $$ handled day to day as they can. Another good idea, IMO.

Just curious.. why wouldn't you want the IPAss...?? You don't have to stick it on the window if that's an issue.