Congrats Ichiro

I say this deserves an asterisk if ever one was deserved. George Sisler 154 games, Ichiro 160 (won't include 2 to go). In something as common as a hit this record would not be if Sisler played a full schedule. Ichiro has had a sick year, but I am aggervated that no one has mentioned this fact, yet for HRs (which are much more rare) it was a big stink. The media: :rolly

I say this deserves an asterisk if ever one was deserved. George Sisler 154 games, Ichiro 160 (won't include 2 to go). In something as common as a hit this record would not be if Sisler played a full schedule. Ichiro has had a sick year, but I am aggervated that no one has mentioned this fact, yet for HRs (which are much more rare) it was a big stink. The media: :rolly

Uh, it took 84 years for someone to break it. The record is genuine.

That was a ridiculously stupid thing for MLB to do in 1961. A season is a season is a season.

Uh, it took 84 years for someone to break it.  The record is genuine.

Can it just be called a modern era record? I don't see why this gets no consideration just because it held. I don't mean to take away from Ichiro, but Sisler would still have the record had his season been 8 games longer.

Can it just be called a modern era record? I don't see why this gets no consideration just because it held. I don't mean to take away from Ichiro, but Sisler would still have the record had his season been 8 games longer.

While i agree with you that he would most likely still have the record if he had played 8 more games. But some people will say that you never know the amount of hits he might have had in the next 8 games. He may have had 0,1,2 or 8,10,12. But most people like to believe he would have only had 0,1,2,3 hits and ichiro would still have the record. Stupid i know but that is what some believe, it's not like anyone can honestly project what a player id gonna do over period of time. Since they could either get injured, get get really hot or really cold for long periods of time.

While i agree with you that he would most likely still have the record if he had played 8 more games. But some people will say that you never know the amount of hits he might have had in the next 8 games. He may have had 0,1,2 or 8,10,12.  But most people like to believe he would have only had 0,1,2,3 hits and ichiro would still have the record. Stupid i know but that is what some believe, it's not like anyone can honestly project what a player id gonna do over period of time. Since they could either get injured, get get really hot or really cold for long periods of time.

Sisler got 10 hits in his last 5 games. He would have easily gotten 2 hits in 6 games.