What the A's and Cubs Have Taught Me...

CWSGuy406

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I admire the fact that you won't back down from an argument even when you know that you're wrong...are you German?  You're starting to remind me of some of my family members.

I'm very German.

And thank you 2004 Red Sox for proving my point.

The Red Sox winning the series was not dependent on their starting pitching, considering they didn't allow fewer than 3 runs until game 2 of the series, and won games 11-9 and 10-6 while losing 19-8 and 11-9. They got solid performances from their guys once they got to the series, but that had little to do with their win against the Yankees. Their offense bailed them out late in two games and the pen gave them a solid performance in those extra inning games, and it was their starting pitchers that put them in that tough situation in the first place. If anything, I think the Red Sox prove that anything can happen in the playoffs. Derek Lowe, a guy that has sucked all year and received loads of criticism came up with a key game 7 win and won the clincher, and the much touted Martinez was 2-1 with a no decision and really only had one great start out of 4.

3E8

but it doesn't change the fact that the 2002 Angels had an outstanding starting rotation

Sorry, gotta disagree heavily with you on this one. If it wasn't for the Angels well balanced offense, good defense, and awesome bullpen, they would of been toast. They had Washburn, who was lousy in the playoffs (some Angel fans dubbed him the ace of the playoffs, but he was nothing special) and Lackey (who actually pitched his ass off for a youngster).

Minus those two, Ortiz was nothing special nor was Kevin Appier. The Angels rotation that won the series is one of the worse in recent history, imo. Luckily they had Krod, Donnelly, Weber, and Percy.