And so it begins ....

After the Cubs' colossal collapse in the 2003 NLCS, I made a post during the offseason saying that the Cubs chokehold on the city of Chicago was not going to last. I based that on the fact that the Cub fans would stop accepting the lovable loser thing and that Wrigley Field would soon have to be demolished.

We all know about the falling chunks of concrete at the urinal, so that is the beginning of the end of that dump. Now, in today's column by Barry Rozner, I find this:

As for 2004, it's definitely the most disappointing season ever, along with the biggest collapse against the worst competition. The team spent a ton of money and had the best talent, and the thing they did best was aggravate the customer to the point where many Cubs fans despised this team and didn't even mind them losing in the end.

That's saying a lot for a Cubs fan.

EDIT: To add this from Mike Imrem ....

However, these Cubs are different. Baker was late to recognize that and later to respond, so the only cultural change was the franchise went from lovable losers to unlikable underachievers.

Three things to consider:

1. That is a sportswriter writing that. If you read the fans' comments in Sunday's papers, there were far more comments that could be read as "sad" than there were "angry" comments. IMO, it's still going to take more than this year's choke to change the perception of the Cubs as the "In Team" or Wrigley as the "Place To Be". If (when) they have to leave Wrigley Field, that will have more of an impact on their fanbase than anything that happens on the field.

2. Just because the sportswriters are smelling blood in the water, that doesn't mean that they're suddenly going to embrace the White Sox. They still believe (INCORRECTLY) that USCF is a bad ballpark in a rough neighborhood, they still believe that Frank Thomas is a hyper-sensitive sulker, they still hold a LOT of incorrect perceptions about all things White Sox. THAT won't change too quickly, either.

3. This is just the stunned aftershocks of the Collapse. Give it a week or two, and I believe the blame for this season's Cub failure will shift to the injuries they suffered through much of the season and the hurricane-induced schedule changes. Remember, there's ALWAYS an excuse...

Unfortunately, one bad Cubbie week and the subsequent fallout won't have much impact on the White Sox. Winning some kind of championship, however, would help the Sox greatly. Winning them consistently could shift the balance of power for certain. I'd like the Sox to try THAT route.

And the funny thing is there was a direct correlation between his numbers and his popularity dropping...

I completely agree SS2K4...but dont forget the correlation of his numbers dropping, his weight dropping and steriods finally becoming a banned substance....

Sosa's entire world has been crashing around him for a while now...hes too fragile to take much more

Ok, this is going to be hard for you guys to believe, but here goes. Before the start of the season, I made a bet with my Cub fan buddy. It had nothing to do with the Sox. I bet him that the Cubs would not make the playoffs this year, not even the wildcard. He laughed and ridiculed me non stop. The bet? If they made it, I had to go to a game at the Cell in a Cub's jersey. If they didn't, he had to go to a game at Wrigley in a Sox jersey.

2003 kicked out the little bit of life that franchise had in it. 2005 will not be any different, they are in complete disarray internally. Remember, most teams tend to show you what they're gonna be like in the 1st couple of years of being together.