Train Travel

Soxy

Hi guys,

I'm going to be taking the train Amtrak, home for Thanksgiving and Christmas (about 200 bucks cheaper than flying)--I've never traveled distances by train in the States and I was wondering if any of you have and if so what your opinion of it is. Thanks bunches. :)

My lovely bride took Amtrak from Chicago to Florida one year for Spring Break. She hated it. Are you comparing a sleeper berth or upgraded accomodations to airfare, or will you be riding the regular coaches?

Be prepared for many stops, etc.

It is kind of fun for the people you will meet. She said they went through all the areas she wanted to see at night and scummy cities during the day. That of course may be different.

Bring some good books, earplugs, snacks, and have fun. It will be an adventure.

I've gone to San Fran from Chicago, in one of the sleeper rooms, and I liked it.

It was fun, but I would never want to do it again, because it would get old.

Did you go through the mountains during the day or at night? When a buddy of mine took that trip it was all nighttime travel through the Rockies.

I couldn't handle the length of the trip so I've never done it. For me to go from DC to Chicago would take almost a day. Plus, I've found for me that when I consider time spent on the train and time spent flying and prices, it's just better to pay the extra money and fly since the train isn't really that much cheaper. So I always fly. But I feel your pain. I was look for a flight for Thanksgiving tonight and right now it looks like I'll be walking home...

Where you going from where? I've done South Bend - NYC. That was no fun at the end, and people did try to break into my stuff on the train. I brought my own food though so it wasn't so bad. They'll bleed you dry for food prices.

I've also taken it to New Mexico in scouts. Both trips were about 24 hours. Not as quick as a plane, more satisfying than a bus trip. They have plugs for your laptop.

I have gone on Greyhound Bus trips and Amtrak rides and I must say that I perfer the train.

I like the fact you can get up and stretch your legs, get a snack, and if your trip is long enough they feed you.

I also think it's relaxing to just sit there with my laptop and watch a movie while i'm traveling. However you should also be warned that they are always late.

The last time I took the Amtrak it was scheduled to arrive at 11:30 AM and it didnt' arrive until 2:30. Other then that it's a fun way to travel.

Where you going from where? I've done South Bend - NYC. That was no fun at the end, and people did try to break into my stuff on the train. I brought my own food though so it wasn't so bad. They'll bleed you dry for food prices.

I've also taken it to New Mexico in scouts. Both trips were about 24 hours. Not as quick as a plane, more satisfying than a bus trip. They have plugs for your laptop.

Was that to Cimarron NM? My Troop is heading there in August of 05. IT took us 4 years to finally win a spot.