Southsider's Final season player grades

southsider2k5

The A's

Aaron Rowand-breakthrough season. Career numbers, and great defensive improvements.

Paul Konerko- Should be AL comeback player of the year. Career numbers in HRs and RBIs

Ross Gload- Did an excellent job off the bench, and as a starter in Sept. Made the most of his first real chance.

Shingo Takatsu-Slowed a little in the 2nd half, but pitched more innings than he ever has before. Took the closers job from Koch and never looked back

Juan Uribe- Really huge April and May got him going, but he played stellar defense in 3 different positions, posting many career highs.

Mark Buehrle-2.77 road era saids it all. Won 16 games and a career high in Ks. In decline my ass...

Jaime Burke-Just like Gload, did an excellent job in the few chances he got. Surprisingly clutch hitter.

Carlos Lee- Good follow up to his 2003 breakout season. Had a career high 28 game hitting streak

The B's

Freddy Garcia- Incredible in day games, average at night. Great innings eater.

Jon Adkins- Was excellent up until September when he ran out of gas. Should be an important guy out of the 2k5 pen.

The C's

Willie Harris- Got off to a fast start and raised everyone's hopes, but slumped down the stretch. Played an incredible 2B, but seemed tentative to use his #1 weapon on the basepaths. Not bad for his first full season

Cliff Pollitte-Had some incredible outings, and some really bad ones. All in all, was a solid middle relief guy.

Neal Cotts- Was the biggest victim of the Mike Jackson era on the southside. Had the lowest inhertied runners scoring % against for a long time, and held hitters to a very low baa against. Like Jon Adkins, Neal seemed to tire in September.

Jose Valentin- career high 30 HRs matched up against a career low batting average. They moved Jose to hitting just lefthanded for the first time in his career, but still matched him up against tough lefties as they had no one to replace him. Had his share of huge hits and homers.

Ben Davis- Huge start, big drop off. It will be interesting to see which Ben Davis shows up next year.

Damaso Marte- For any other reliver his numbers would have been at least B material, but when placed against his prior years, this year was a bit of a disappointment. Gave up some huge hits this year.

Scott Schoenweis-Giving the benefit of the doubt, he was great in April and May, and then the wheels came off and he never recovered.

The D's

Joe Crede-another streaky rough season. His D was good, his swing was long. Seems to be plateaued.

Carl Everett- Fat and injured. Not a good combo for $4 million and 5 prospects.

Timo Perez- .246 average, lazy in the OF, but did get some clutch hits-which is the only thing that didn't make him a total washout.

Sandy Alomar- Hurt most of the year, and didn't get much out of the pitchers this year.

Joe Borchard- As close to an F as you can get. But did start to show signs of life. Plus you gotta love the work ethic and determination.

Jose Contreras- Bullheaded and full of potential. Teased with incredible outtings and horrible ones. Needs to become more consistant.

Jon Garland- Seasons biggest disappointment. Has #2 starter stuff, and bush league toughness.

F's

Robbie Alomar-Nothing in the tank and injured.

Mike Jackson-Led the league in inherited runners allowed to score, and not standing up for your teammates.

rookie incompletes

Jeff Bajanaru

Wilson Valdez

Arnie Munoz

Jason Grilli

Felix Diaz

Kelly Dransfeldt

Josh Stewart

Injury incompletes

Magglio Ordonez

Frank Thomas

Danny Wright

Willie Harris should get a A or at least a B! not a C :angry:

The only A that should be associated with Willie Harris it the level he would be a star at in the minor leagues. Willie's inability to be the type of player that the Sox needed this year is one of the biggest reasons that the Sox tanked when they did.

The only A that should be associated with Willie Harris it the level he would be a star at in the minor leagues.  Willie's inability to be the type of player that the Sox needed this year is one of the biggest reasons that the Sox tanked when they did.

That is soo mean! You are mean! Willie Harris is awesome!

The only A that should be associated with Willie Harris it the level he would be a star at in the minor leagues.  Willie's inability to be the type of player that the Sox needed this year is one of the biggest reasons that the Sox tanked when they did.

Problem is we should have not had to count on willie harris to be our starting second baseman that was leading off. That is kw's fault, i mean come on we couldn't sign belliard.

We knew what we would get from him more so than willie. For some reason willie's sub .300 obp to start the year did not exite me.

Let's go back to last January. What did you think you would get out of Belliard at that point???

In 2003, he hit .277 with 31 doubles, 8 home runs and 50 RBI in 116 games. He walked 49 times in 447 AB. Note this was in Colorado. He hit .251 with a .321 OBP outside of Coors Field.

In 2002, he hit a whopping .211 with a .257 OBP, 3 HR and 26 RBI 104 games for Milwaukee.

So based on that and his preveiously average production, what did YOU expect from Ron Belliard before this season??

Let's go back to last January.  What did you think you would get out of Belliard at that point???

In 2003, he hit .277 with 31 doubles, 8 home runs and 50 RBI in 116 games.  He walked 49 times in 447 AB.  Note this was in Colorado.  He hit .251 with a .321 OBP outside of Coors Field.

In 2002, he hit a whopping .211 with a .257 OBP, 3 HR and 26 RBI 104 games for Milwaukee. 

So based on that and his preveiously average production, what did YOU expect from Ron Belliard before this season??

My main thing is belliard while not great was more proven than willie. I would have expected at least a .270-.275 average for the sole fact that he would be able to feast on alot of s***ty pitching. Being the tigers, royals, indians and even the sox. To start the year i would have batted him 8th or 9th. There is no way in hell i would have wanted him to bat lead-off or even second until he proved that he was capable of that task. Willie imo should be hitting ninth next year because he is yet to learn how to bunt let alone bunt for a hit. Also he always looks scared to steal a base and has pretty s***t jumps.

Great grades.

I agree with most and don't violently disagree with any.

My amendments:

Uribe B, not an A.

Shingo B-plus, not an A.

Burke B, not an A.

I would agree C for Willie, maybe Cplus.

I'd agree with C on Valentin. 29 homers isn't half bad.

Contreras a C or maybe even C-plus. He wasn't D worthy I don't think.

Garland I'd give a C, not D.

Ozzie- B.

Kenny W - D (when we were good early, we still

were missing 5th starter and his trade of Reed and

Olivo was ill advised when he coulda signed

Freddie in offseason anyway because of the nice

offer combined with Ozzie/Fred relationship.

Bonehead trade of century.

Reinsdork - Dminus.

Sox MVP: Konerko.

Flop of year: Crede.

My main thing is belliard while not great was more proven than willie. I would have expected at least a .270-.275 average for the sole fact that he would be able to feast on alot of s***ty pitching. Being the tigers, royals, indians and even the sox. To start the year i would have batted him 8th or 9th. There is no way in hell i would have wanted him to bat lead-off or even second until he proved that he was capable of that task. Willie imo should be hitting ninth next year because he is yet to learn how to bunt let alone bunt for a hit. Also he always looks scared to steal a base and has pretty s***t jumps.

The you are the only one on the plante that thought Belliard would hit as well outside of Coors as he did for the Rockies. Let's not confuse your disdain with Willie or the Sox lack of a leadoff hitter with your being Nostradamus. Belliard was NOT a reasonable thought back in the offseason. He had done NOTHING to make anyone think he would do what he did this year.

The you are the only one on the plante that thought Belliard would hit as well outside of Coors as he did for the Rockies.  Let's not confuse your disdain with Willie or the Sox lack of a leadoff hitter with your being Nostradamus.  Belliard was NOT a reasonable thought back in the offseason.  He had done NOTHING to make anyone think he would do what he did this year.

Didn't he have three DECENT years with the brewers? I think he did.

The you are the only one on the plante that thought Belliard would hit as well outside of Coors as he did for the Rockies.  Let's not confuse your disdain with Willie or the Sox lack of a leadoff hitter with your being Nostradamus.  Belliard was NOT a reasonable thought back in the offseason.  He had done NOTHING to make anyone think he would do what he did this year.

Actually, his career batting average against left-handed pitching coming into this year was pretty damn good....he's easily one of the best hitters in the entire league against left-handed pitching. What do the Indians and Royals have? Numerous left-handed starters.

Hell, I had him on my fantasy team before the season started. Well, mostly because there weren't enough second basemen to go around.

Point is, plenty of people could have seen this coming if you were to really analyze his splits. I'd be interested to find out how well he has done against the Royals left-handed pitching this year....I'll bet that he won at least three or four of those games by himself.

Qwerty :cheers