Maggs - 2nd surgery done

bulokis

Yes ... Levine said Maggs had the surgery done in Europe (?!?), on the meniscus cartilage in his knee. He said the surgery was done about a month ago, and he assumed the Sox were aware of it, but couldn't get it confirmed or denied by Sox officials.

There is some real cloak and dagger stuff going on here.

Levine also mentioned Frank Thomas is getting a 2nd opinion on the ankle because it's not healed. He said there is a good possibility Frank will need some type of fusion surgery to fuse the bones together, and recovery time is estimated at 4 months.

So ... let's do the math here. Let's suppose Frank gets this 2nd opinion ASAP and the surgery is done, say, 10/15. That means he is supposedly healed in time for spring training.

Anyone want to bet he'll have continued problems with the ankle, and/or won't be completely healed and in game shape by April 1st? How can he do much conditioning if he can't be on his feet?

I hate to keep coming back to it, but this is one huge reason why the Sox got Everett again. He's your backup plan at DH if (when?) something goes wrong with Frank.

Yes ... Levine said Maggs had the surgery done in Europe (?!?), on the meniscus cartilage in his knee.  He said the surgery was done about a month ago, and he assumed the Sox were aware of it, but couldn't get it confirmed or denied by Sox officials.

Levine also mentioned Frank Thomas is getting a 2nd opinion on the ankle because it's not healed.  He said there is a good possibility Frank will need some type of fusion surgery to fuse the bones together, and recovery time is estimated at 4 months.

So ... let's do the math here.  Let's suppose Frank gets this 2nd opinion ASAP and the surgery is done, say, 10/15.  That means he is supposedly healed in time for spring training.

Anyone want to bet he'll have continued problems with the ankle, and/or won't be completely healed and in game shape by April 1st?  How can he do much conditioning if he can't be on his feet?

I hate to keep coming back to it, but this is one huge reason why the Sox got Everett again.  He's your backup plan at DH if (when?) something goes wrong with Frank.

Ugh, not this again..... lol

I get your point Jim, I just think there were better options, both for this year and for the $4.5 million it will cost to keep Everett for next.

I agree with you most of the time, Jim, just not here. ;)

Yes ... Levine said Maggs had the surgery done in Europe (?!?), on the meniscus cartilage in his knee.  He said the surgery was done about a month ago, and he assumed the Sox were aware of it, but couldn't get it confirmed or denied by Sox officials.

Levine also mentioned Frank Thomas is getting a 2nd opinion on the ankle because it's not healed.  He said there is a good possibility Frank will need some type of fusion surgery to fuse the bones together, and recovery time is estimated at 4 months.

So ... let's do the math here.  Let's suppose Frank gets this 2nd opinion ASAP and the surgery is done, say, 10/15.  That means he is supposedly healed in time for spring training.

Anyone want to bet he'll have continued problems with the ankle, and/or won't be completely healed and in game shape by April 1st?  How can he do much conditioning if he can't be on his feet?

I hate to keep coming back to it, but this is one huge reason why the Sox got Everett again.  He's your backup plan at DH if (when?) something goes wrong with Frank.

Interesting to say the least. Frank needs to get on a serious diet. Since he's not banging out 65 home runs a year, there really is no reason for him to carry so much weight.

Kenny told George Ofman of the Score, that Frank will be getting another opinion on it shortly and should decide by the end of the week if will get surgery.

Williams claims that if he has the surgery that Frank won't be ready till the middle of Spring Training.

Surgery in Austria suggests that this is some sort of cutting edge or alternative procedure. Makes me think that this is a lot more serious than Magglio would want you to believe. I hope I'm wrong, and Magglio returns 100% healthy whether its with the Sox or not.

"Cutting edge" and "Alternate" sound pretty scary. Especially, when the Sox frequently used the best orthopedic surgeon there is in James Andrews.

Kenny told George Ofman of the Score, that Frank will be getting another opinion on it shortly and should decide by the end of the week if will get surgery.

Williams claims that if he has the surgery that Frank won't be ready till the middle of Spring Training.

I'm certainly not banking on him to be very productive in April and May.

Hate to be pessimistic, but I'd rather look at this thing realistically. He'll not have had good, solid swings at a baseball for 7 months. It'll take a while before he gets his timing back.

If Maggs had surgery overseas, it's obvious we aren't

going to take a chance and sign him.

Some team is going to get lucky and get him on a

one-year contract for cheap as he proves he's healthy.

Because of all the ill will with Kenny, that team won't

be ours.

Tough break for Maggs but he's going to get a one-year

deal somewhere for about 2-3 million.

Hell, nobody's going to pay for a possible player who is

on the DL all year.

Frank should have had this surgery several months ago when his removal from the team was official.

I know several of you have professed, "You shouldn't have surgery unless its absolutely neccessary," but did anyone expect a heel supporting Frank's weight to magically heal? If Frank would have had this surgery in August/September, more time is left to condition and rehabiliate in preparation for next season. Instead, he'll get the surgery, return too soon, and his ankle will become a consistent problem.

I'm hoping for a season free of excuses. No injuries, no setbacks, therefore all the blame can be delt if necessary. Playoffs or curb for KW. If Thomas is absent for an extended period of time he can use the "if we had Thomas for the beginning of the season..." card.

No green ink needed.

You think any team is going to sign a guy to a Beltran

like deal when he's had 2 surgeries on a knee —

one of the surgeries in Europe?

I say no team is that stupid.

He'll get a one-year contract maybe loaded with

incentives.

Now I would like to hear all of the apologies for those who called KW a liar when commenting on Magglios health.

Obviously it wasn't getting better, and he wasn't practicing like Maggs agent claimed, if he had just had surgery on it. I don't appreciate being lied to by either of them. They can go screw themselves :fyou I don't want him back here if all of this is indeed true. If it is another wrong report, I apolgize to Maggs, but this fits exactly what Williams was saying all along, and shows why Maggs couldn't show us a practice or these medical records showing his improvements.

Now I would like to hear all of the apologies for those who called KW a liar when commenting on Magglios health.

Obviously it wasn't getting better, and he wasn't practicing like Maggs agent claimed, if he had just had surgery on it.  I don't appreciate being lied to by either of them.  They can go screw themselves :fyou I don't want him back here if all of this is indeed true.  If it is another wrong report, I apolgize to Maggs, but this fits exactly what Williams was saying all along, and shows why Maggs couldn't show us a practice or these medical records showing his improvements.

I can't speak for anyone but yours truly, but this was a time for KW to shut up and just let the facts dictate the situation. I can't remember the poster who pretty much said just that. Those were and still are my feelings on the matter. There is a time to speak and a time to be silent, regardless of who's "right". Regarding Maggs, I just wish someone here had access to the real scoop, whatever it is. In any case, it doesn't sound good.

I can't speak for anyone but yours truly, but this was a time for KW to shut up and just let the facts dictate the situation. I can't remember the poster who pretty much said just that. Those were and still are my feelings on the matter. There is a time to speak and a time to be silent, regardless of who's "right".  Regarding Maggs, I just wish someone here had access to the real scoop, whatever it is. In any case, it doesn't sound good.

Well either he lied to us before, or they are lying now. Pick your poison.

If Frank has ankle fusion surgery, he is probably done playing baseball.

Obviously it wasn't getting better, and he wasn't practicing like Maggs agent claimed, if he had just had surgery on it.  I don't appreciate being lied to by either of them.  They can go screw themselves :fyou I don't want him back here if all of this is indeed true.  If it is another wrong report, I apolgize to Maggs, but this fits exactly what Williams was saying all along, and shows why Maggs couldn't show us a practice or these medical records showing his improvements.

I was reading through this thread to see if anyone else thought of this and was going to make a similar comment if not.

I was reading through this thread to see if anyone else thought of this and was going to make a similar comment if not.

And the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. Not only was Maggs camp lying all along, they tried to do a secret surgery in a forgein country to try to hide it from everyone, in order to preserve his value. And the whole time he was lying to his team, and we the fans. Can you imagine the outrage if we gave him his big contract, only to find out some doctor screwed up his surgery, that he supposedly didn't need?

Like I said, if this is all indeed true, good riddence. :fyou