Would anyone be surprised

Guest JimH

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Sox made a play for Jerry Hairston Jr. of the Orioles.

But not for 2nd base.

They had him playing in CF until he cracked an ankle bone in August, and he was doing a great job by all accounts.

Here is a guy who's a Chicago area guy, just coming into his own at age 28, can handle the bat, steal some bases, and doesn't strike out much.

Move Rowand over to RF maybe?

You can bet KW is thinking outside the box folks ...

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Sox made a play for Jerry Hairston Jr. of the Orioles.

But not for 2nd base.

They had him playing in CF until he cracked an ankle bone in August, and he was doing a great job by all accounts.

Here is a guy who's a Chicago area guy, just coming into his own at age 28, can handle the bat, steal some bases, and doesn't strike out much.

Move Rowand over to RF maybe?

You can bet KW is thinking outside the box folks ...

Did he play centerfield, Jim?? I remember seeing him play rf but I don't recall him playing center but I'm most likely wrong. Either way I like Hairston and he'd be a welcome additioned, I know a lot of people have talked about acquiring him and Julio in a package together, that would be nice to see. :)

Did he play centerfield, Jim??  I remember seeing him play rf but I don't recall him playing center but I'm most likely wrong.  Either way I like Hairston and he'd be a welcome additioned, I know a lot of people have talked about acquiring him and Julio in a package together, that would be nice to see. :)

That is exactly what i have heard the o's want to do. Package hairston and julio together to get someone pretty good. Hairston has played 15 games in center and that is where he broke it while making a leaping catch at the wall.

That is exactly what i have heard the o's want to do. Package  hairston and julio together to get someone pretty good. Hairston has played 15 games in center and that is where he broke it while making a leaping catch at the wall.

Ah Gotcha, I don't know why I just remembered him playing rightfield but not Center....weird.

Did he play centerfield, Jim??  I remember seeing him play rf but I don't recall him playing center but I'm most likely wrong.  Either way I like Hairston and he'd be a welcome additioned, I know a lot of people have talked about acquiring him and Julio in a package together, that would be nice to see. :)

Yes, they were bouncing him around a little bit because of Brian Roberts at 2B. He was in CF for about a month and was doing well.

As for why the O's would trade him, that's a fair question. They have lots of OF, but I guess my point was the Sox might pursue him vs. the Orioles shopping him.

I do know Baltimore management felt one of either Roberts or Hairston had to be moved, and they like Roberts as their 2B. It appeared they were also a bit frustrated that Hairston kept running into injuries, and they may feel it'd be better for him to get a fresh start.

Just speculation on my part, but a guy with Hairston's skills would fit here, and likely wouldn't be too expensive ... either in trade cost or salary.

If we got Hairston, it would be to play 2b. Unless Frank is out for the year, Everett's going to be stuck in RF (UGH!). Therefore, Rowand will not be moving to CF or RF. For the so-called proposed trades of Julio and Hairston for Lee or Konerko, all I can say is please no. Julio is no different than Billy Koch in terms of how he goes about things when pitching, except he's an asshole.

When did anyone say Konerko for Harriston and Juilo??

Noone, but what other options are available? Besides Konerko/Lee, whoch players would KW trade for Hairston/Lugo?

The days of mistaking our prospects as currency have (hopefully) passed. I believe KW has learned not to meddle with our depleted minor league system. Whichever top tier prospects hold significant value need to remain in our organization. Spend money or trade players; leave the farm alone.

Noone, but what other options are available?  Besides Konerko/Lee, whoch players would KW trade for Hairston/Lugo?

The days of mistaking our prospects as currency have (hopefully) passed. I believe KW has learned not to meddle with our depleted minor league system.  Whichever top tier prospects hold significant value need to remain in our organization.  Spend money or trade players; leave the farm alone.

Timo and Valentin? ;)