With the Playoffs Starting

beck72

As the playoffs begin today, I'll be watching a few players closely as possible additions to the Sox [At least in my world :D ] While solid performances may jack up the price to get them, either free agency or trade, I'd like to see how these guys do under pressure. Among them:

1] Odalis Perez. [FA] Starting game 1 vs STL. He'll be facing one hell of a lineup, on the road. I heard somewhere that he said if LA beats STL 'they'll win the world series' or something to that effect. Just be quiet and play the game

2] Chone Figgins. Rookie Dallas McPherson is supposed to play a lot, and that would probably put Figgins at 2B. The sox could put him in CF and hit leadoff. Saw the replay where he scored from 3rd on a GB vs Oak, in the game they took over 1st place, beating the throw home w/ a nice hook slide. Any sox player who tried to do that would've broke their leg.

3] Scot Shields. [could come with Figgins in a deal for Carlos Lee] Though he may not see much action in middle relief, would look great on the south side. If he can pitch well in Fenway, he could throw in the Cell.

4] Carlos Beltran. [FA] The Sox would only likely get Beltran if the traded both Lee and PK. A long shot to sign, but the sox don't have a young position player to build around. Had a great run helping the Astros get back into the wildcard race

5] Troy Percival. [FA] Supposedly back throwing in the 95, 96 mph range. Has always had mound presence. Will never forget his poise in 2002 during their world series run. Would put Shingo back into set up.

6] Dave Roberts [FA]. Don't know how much time he'll see in the playoffs w/ Bos. But would be a nice platoon guy to hit LH, and play all 3 OF positions for the Sox. He had close to 40 SB's in limited paying time this year in LA and Bos. The sox certainly could use him for a spot, and play him vs RH pitchers. Provides speed, defense and a nice contact hitter from the left side. Would replace Timo Perez for about the same price [less than $1 mill]

Are there any other players people are interested in watching during the playoffs as possible additions to the Sox in '05?