Ron Turner

Um, MSU should have honestly blown Illinois out. You can't say Illinois really should have won. Pierre Thomas has two huge runs, that was the biggest reason for Illinois being in the game. I think that game could have been alot worse than it was for Illinois. And on top of that, John L. questioned the Spartans talent earlier this week IIRC.

I don't know what game you watched, how about the drives we didn't finish in the 3rd quarter?

Cant win if you cant recruit.

Turner has actually had decent recruiting years recently. The problem is that he can't coach or something. It's sad for Illinois when they out recruit a school like Northwestern every year, yet they have been the lesser team recently. If Illinois could bring in a new coach and he could recruit as well as Turner (considering Illinois has been terrible and they still recruit decently) while being a better game coach or whatever the problem is...they are set as being a solid Big Ten team.

4?

Yeah, Walter Young (was on Panthers last year, got cut but I think he is on someone elses practice squad now), Brandon Lloyd(49ers), Greg Lewis (Eagles), Aaron Moorehead (Colts).

Edit: Walter Young signed on with the Pittsburg Steelers practice squad.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Yeah, Walter Young (was on Panthers last year, got cut but I think he is on someone elses practice squad now), Brandon Lloyd(49ers), Greg Lewis (Eagles), Aaron Moorehead (Colts).

Edit: Walter Young signed on with the Pittsburg Steelers practice squad.

Oh, I was just curious. I had no idea.

im just saying beutjer seemed like he would be good but hasnt done any improving even over last year

edit: turner's recruiting has somehow gotten worse even after an ornage bowl berth i dont know how

Sugar Bowl, should have been a Rose Bowl though, that would've been sweet.

I know there's so many bowls people can't keep track of them anymore.

im just saying beutjer seemed like he would be good but hasnt done any improving even over last year

edit: turner's recruiting has somehow gotten worse even after an ornage bowl berth i dont know how

His recruiting on the offensive side of the ball minus the QB position has actually been really good. He brought in what was thought to be a great class of lineman two years ago, he signed Halsey, Pierre Thomas, Jason Davis, Brock Bolen, and for next year Rashard Mendenhall who is one of the best 5 RB in the country so he hasn't had anytrouble recruiting for the backfield. Hes also brought in some pretty highly thought of recievers in Kelvin Hayden (now playing CB) and Lonnie Hurst who started as a FR last year but hasn't been worthy of the hype yet. Now recruiting defense is something he has never done well and even that Sugar Bowl teams defense wasn't good as they were absolutely exposed vs. LSU. That team just happened to have Kurt Kittner who was a great college QB with all kinds of WR for him to throw to.

i messed up the bowl game cuz really i dont want to remember the ass kicking we got; i do agree that he has brought in good RBs and some decent WRs but it doesnt matter if you dont have a good QB especially with the offense he likes to run that emphasizes the pass when our team is more geared towards the run; i totally agree with our crappy defense i know even that good year we would just try to outscore teams and hope for 1-2 good defensive plays

His recruiting on the offensive side of the ball minus the QB position has actually been really good.  He brought in what was thought to be a great class of lineman two years ago, he signed Halsey, Pierre Thomas, Jason Davis, Brock Bolen, and for next year Rashard Mendenhall who is one of the best 5 RB in the country so he hasn't had anytrouble recruiting for the backfield.  Hes also brought in some pretty highly thought of recievers in Kelvin Hayden (now playing CB) and Lonnie Hurst who started as a FR last year but hasn't been worthy of the hype yet.  Now recruiting defense is something he has never done well and even that Sugar Bowl teams defense wasn't good as they were absolutely exposed vs. LSU.  That team just happened to have Kurt Kittner who was a great college QB with all kinds of WR for him to throw to.

This is a pretty good summary. He's also been the 'victim' of some negative recruiting by other Big Ten teams, namely Purdue on the defensive side of the bal. At this point i can't see Turner recruiting much better than this - but i also don't see him being a great coach at this point either, aside from recruiting.

As far as Beujter goes, one of the main problems i see is he's terrible in the red zone, which is crucial to the outcome of games. He make terrible decisions, locks on to receivers, etc. I fret anytime we get 1st and goal from the 8 or 9 yard line. The guy can't finish drives. Also, he's been underthrowing almost every deep ball this year. Jones has burned some defenders only to have to practically stop and make a play on the ball.

This is the Big Ten...you need to win if you want some job security. If Turner is on campus next year, the Illini have lost their last bit of football credibility.

Look for the Mendenhall brothers to be the face of Illini football in the upcoming seasons. Good guys, amazing athletes.

as much as I like Ron Turner as a person, the Illini need to find a Bruce Weber type. someone who has had experience winning at a lesser school...like Joe Tiller at Wyoming. Not an NFL assistant or even a former NFL head coach. Maybe the head coach of Boise State or Pat Hill from Fresno State or possibly someone from the I-AA ranks.

The question is: Will Guenther be able to fire him? Isn't he signed through 2008 or something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors that if Illinois does fire Turner, SIU coack Jerry Kill could be a favorite to replace him. Kill has done a 180 with SOuthern's program, who were awful when I was there.

I know it's Division 1-AA, but they almost beat NIU and he could help a school like Illinois out.

4?

Brandon Lloyd: Now with the 49ers.

Aaron Moorehead: Now with the Colts.

Greg Lewis: Now with the Eagles.

Walter Young: Last time I checked, he was with the Panthers.

EDIT: Oops. Didn't see somebody already responded. Sorry.

Edited by ChiSoxFan