Robin Ventura is retiring

AddisonStSox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a month when he was with the Sox that he hit like .500 with a ton or RBIs and Hrs. IIRC he ended the month with a walk off Grand-Slam.

I'd love to find his stats for that month, I've googled and googled without any success.

I know exactly what month you're talking about. July of 1991. Robin went nuts that month. He hit 12 hr's with 36 rbi's. He ended the month with a walk off grand slam against the Texas Rangers. The Sox won the game 10-8. I'll never forget the image of Robin on Frank's shoulder being manhandled. God I miss the early 90's :crying

I know exactly what month you're talking about.  July of 1991.  Robin went nuts that month.  He hit 12 hr's with 36 rbi's.  He ended the month with a walk off grand slam against the Texas Rangers.  The Sox won the game 10-8.  I'll never forget the image of Robin on Frank's shoulder being manhandled.  God I miss the early 90's  :crying

Off of Goose Gossage. That might be my personal all time favorite moment in my short White Sox history. It was nuts.

Inspired by our other two threads about free agents...

Both Robin and Herbert Perry are free agents...would we have any use for either? Is the bridge burned between Robin and the Sox? I think Robin would be a good clubhouse presence and a nice weapon off the bench, but he may be too expensive.  I dunno if either of those two would contribute, but I think it'd be a good PR move to bring them back.

I'm Pro Robin in 05'

ryan_vs_ventura.jpg

Robin's time in Chicago has come and gone. We all loved him when he was here and he provided plenty of thrills and great memories for us but we need to let go.

perhaps #23 should be on the outfield wall?

When Robin Ventura's name is said people will think of two moments:

1-his fight with Nolan Ryan (I was in my room sorting baseball cards when the fight started, and my bro started yelling so I went downstairs to watch).

2-his grand-slam single in the NLCS against the Braves (I stayed up way past my school night bed time to see this one).

always admire him for the gutty way he battled back from that horrible ankle fracture in spring training in 1997. Got ready to help us get back into contention. Then JR white-flagged us.

I hope the Sox have some kind of ceremony to honor him next summer. He deserves it.

that was an ugly injury. His ankle almost looked detatched.

Funny story about Robin.

In 1998, when I was in sixth grade, Robin saw my teacher at a bar in Lincoln Park and tried to pick her up...heres the best part...she said "no!" She was a causal fan of the Flubs and had no clue who he was. Well, I was a die-hard Sox fan since birth so when I heard about this I asked to go to the bathroom, so I wouldn't have the urge to slap her in the face. Imagine that for show and tell...ugh' I hate Cub fans. :lol:

Funny story about Robin.

In 1998, when I was in sixth grade, Robin saw my teacher at a bar in Lincoln Park and tried to pick her up...heres the best part...she said "no!" She was a causal fan of the Flubs and had no clue who he was.  Well,  I was a die-hard Sox fan since birth so when I heard about this I asked to go to the bathroom, so I wouldn't have the urge to slap her in the face.  Imagine that for show and tell...ugh' I hate Cub fans. :lol:

Are you 17,18,or 19? What a horrible person and she is supposed to educate the youth! :headshake

I know exactly what month you're talking about.  July of 1991.  Robin went nuts that month.  He hit 12 hr's with 36 rbi's.  He ended the month with a walk off grand slam against the Texas Rangers.  The Sox won the game 10-8.  I'll never forget the image of Robin on Frank's shoulder being manhandled.  God I miss the early 90's  :crying

I thought so!!!! Someone for the Sox (Uribe?) hit a walk off GS this year and all the papers said it was the first Sox walk off GS since 1985. Yet, the whole time I'm thinking Robin had one. I wasn't sure I remembered things correctly so I never mentioned here at the time, but I kept watching for one of you other Soxtalkers to validate my memory. Sadly, it didn't happen. I guess I should have said something then.

Robin was one of the biggest reasons I am a Sox fan today.  Everybody loved him when he was here and I would love to see him be with the Sox in some capacity as a coach or something.

I'd love to see it too. I'll never forget the Sox fans giving him that standing ovation the first time he came back to Comiskey.