Can the world unite to stop this problem?

Texsox

Can the world stop Spam?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Can the world stop Spam?

• Yes
    • No

Only more global co-operation will help stop the scourge of spam, say experts.

At a conference called to debate anti-spam measures, US and UK government bodies said they had to work more closely to stop spammers.

Most spam originated overseas, so cross-border co-operation was essential to combat spam, delegates were told.

Without teamwork spammers would flourish behind a "cloak of anonymity" and perhaps do real damage to proper e-commerce, the conference was warned.

Hidden harm

In 2001 only 10% of e-mail sent was spam but now almost 60% of all mails are junk, according to figures presented at the International Spam Enforcement Workshop held this week and organised by the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the UK's Office of Fair Trading (OFT).

The rest of the story

Have we ever stopped junk mail?  And this is cheaper...

But junk mail (bulk mail) serves an economic benefit to everyone. Junk mail keeps our mail costs down. I just went to my mailbox. 9 pieces of mail, 6 were bulk mail. About half the cost of coming to my mailbox was these advertisers. Take away the bulk mail and we would have some huge cost increases.

SPAM is different. It increases our ISP costs, not decreasing them.