indians decline vizquel's option

thedoctor

CLEVELAND (AP) — Shortstop Omar Vizquel took an unofficial step to leaving the Cleveland Indians when the team declined to pick up his $5 million contract option for next season.

“This step is a mere formality and does not impact the process in re-signing Omar Vizquel,” Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said Tuesday. “It does not lessen our hope or desire in bringing Omar back.”

Vizquel, 37, will become a free agent after the World Series ends. He has said he wants to return for a 12th season in Cleveland, but the Indians are targeting a starting pitcher.

The Indians will pay Vizquel’s $1 million buyout and could sign him to a new deal or enter salary arbitration with him by Dec. 7.

Shapiro last week called bringing back the widely popular Vizquel “a longshot.”

The team doesn’t want to lock into any contracts because they want to look at the free agent market and have some pending salary arbitration cases, including with second baseman Ronnie Belliard.

Vizquel batted .291 with seven homers and 59 RBIs this season. He also scored 82 runs, stole 19 bases and did not commit an error over the last 55 games.

Shapiro would like a veteran middle infielder and said it was unlikely he would start the season with Jhonny Peralta at shortstop together with Brandon Phillips at second base.

The Indians could offer salary arbitration to Belliard, who had a strong first season in Cleveland, or Shapiro said his coaching staff feels third baseman Casey Blake could shift to second.

Vizquel batted .291 with seven homers and 59 RBIs this season. He also scored 82 runs, stole 19 bases and did not commit an error over the last 55 games.

--Oh boy, seven home runs, just 23 less than our starter

last year.

59 RBIs. Wow, what production.

last year.

Vizquel either leads or bats second 59 rbis is actually pretty good for a lead off hitter or 2 hole hitter.

last year.

So you'd prefer to have Jose Valentin out there with an OBP less then Omar's average?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

No, but I think I'd rather have Uribe there than Omar.

Omar's stats don't dazzle at all.

In fact, they are closer to Clayton-like than

Nomar-like.

If that's what Omar gives, give me Uribe.

The White Sox getting a good defensive player...

Being solid up the middle defensively...

That would never work.

-=See White Sox Baseball 2000-2004=-

and yes that is sarcasim

No, but I think I'd rather have Uribe there than Omar.

Omar's stats don't dazzle at all.

In fact, they are closer to Clayton-like than

Nomar-like.

If that's what Omar gives, give me Uribe.

You can have both and in fact if the sox signed Omar you would have both. I don't know why you say his stats are like Clayton's, do you say this because he didn't drive in a ton with 59 rbi's?? Well he batted 2nd all year long, number 2 hitters aren't going to drive in a ton of runs. Or do you say this cause he hit few homeruns?? Once again he was the 2 hitter, he's not trying to hit homeruns, do you really want more swing for the fences guy, vizquel is a perfect fit for this team, imo, great two hitter, very solid obp, can BUNT, steal, move runners along, still plays solid defense, obviously not as much range as he used to have. I just think Omar would be an absolutely perfect fit for the sox and the type of ball that ozzie wants to play.

Omar is an interesting decision to make. Frankly I don't know if he'll be able to conbtribute good numbers for more than 1 season, but I'd love to sign him for the top of the order, and his good D is another plus. Uribe and Vizquel would be a nice DP combo, IF, the price is right, Otherwise, we concentrate on pitching, which is our most IMPORTANT need.

Omar is an interesting decision to make. Frankly I don't know if he'll be able to conbtribute good numbers for more than 1 season, but I'd love to sign him for the top of the order, and his good D is another plus. Uribe and Vizquel would be a nice DP combo, IF, the price is right, Otherwise, we concentrate on pitching, which is our most IMPORTANT need.

I look at it this way. Vizquel would be a great fit for the Sox. However, a leadoff hitter would have to also be acquired or the Sox hopes would need to be pinned on Harris being able to hit leadoff.

I know most people on here are not Harris leading off. But if other holes can be filled, then time can be given to Willie to continue to develop. I don't think the Sox will go this route, but let's not forget that not many people here believed in Aaron Rowand before this season. Hard work and talent can equate to a young player improving.

The biggest thing to remember is that none of these moves will work by themselves. A series of moves, even small ones will need to be made.

The biggest thing to remember is that none of these moves will work by themselves. A series of moves, even small ones will need to be made.

Exactly, Rex. Omar would be just a small piece to the puzzle. In fact, he would be a fill in or stop gap as was mentioned earlier. But the right stop gap can make the difference between October baseball or October golf.

Exactly, Rex.  Omar would be just a small piece to the puzzle.  In fact, he would be a fill in or stop gap as was mentioned earlier.  But the right stop gap can make the difference between October baseball or October golf.

I do know that Omar wants a two year deal. I think that could be doable in the right circumstance.