Will this marriage work?

mreye

Doesn't sound like he was given, or will be given in the near future, the opportunity to compromise (no boobies, be home by midnight, be up by 7... "yes mam!")  :huh  That is no way to share a life. Apparently they've been together a while if they are getting married (eye.. can you fill in the details a bit?) and maybe he's just a sissy and likes being bossed around like a b****  :whip  so maybe they'll be just fine.  :lol:

They've been together for at least a little over 2 years. I first met her at our ten year reunion, where they got into it and he left without even saying goodbye. That was a red flag to me then. They've been shacking up for a while, from what I understand, in the apartment that she has lived in for close to ten years. He moved away to live with his Dad right after he graduated from college (1996). He came back fro his brother's wedding in 1999 and then I saw him at the reunion (2002) and then now. So, three times since '96. He's changed a lot apparently. To be honest, he never really was that strong of a personality, but this seems to be a little over the top.

Hmm.. that's a little creeeepy too.

Eye.. what's she like to be around?

Aha! I almost forgot! The first we saw her was during the ceremony and then in the receiving line. The reception was only a dinner and an hour or more of conversation afterward. There were three tables at the dinner. One of her family, one of his family and the third was my wife and I, a buddy of our's that was stag, his frat brother and wife, and his father and his g/f. The bride never came over to our table after the dinner to conversate! And, she didn't have any friends there - only family. That was creepy to me.

Aha! I almost forgot! The first we saw her was during the ceremony and then in the receiving line. The reception was only a dinner and an hour or more of conversation afterward. There were three tables at the dinner. One of her family, one of his family and the third was my wife and I, a buddy of our's that was stag, his frat brother and wife, and his father and his g/f. The bride never came over to our table after the dinner to conversate! And, she didn't have any friends there - only family. That was creepy to me.

Oh boy.. she has no friends. No wonder she's taken control of his life. That's a HUGE red flag. Never, ever under any circumstances date a girl that has no friends... :nono

That's a look into your future boys.. :ph34r:

Oh boy.. she has no friends. No wonder she's taken control of his life. That's a HUGE red flag. Never, ever under any circumstances date a girl that has no friends...  :nono

That's a look into your future boys..  :ph34r:

I don't think it's so bad, if she accepts your friends, but with her, that's obviously not the case.

I don't think it's so bad, if she accepts your friends, but with her, that's obviously not the case.

But you see.. if she doesn't have any friends.. YOU are her friend. No gals to go out with.. no gals to gossip with.. no gals to take her shopping.. no gals to get her out of your hair while you watch the game with your buddies...

:o

I gotta agree with eye here. I didn't have a ton of friends before I met Brain (mostly people I worked with as well as a few others). Now I am good friends with his friends' wives/fiancee.

That's just weird though (referring to the stuff after the 3 or 4th post lol).

I gotta agree with eye here.  I didn't have a ton of friends before I met Brain (mostly people I worked with as well as a few others).  Now I am good friends with his friends' wives/fiancee. 

That's just weird though (referring to the stuff after the 3 or 4th post lol).

I agree with that.. most of my friends are Jim's friends wives. But I do have 2 friends I've had since grammar school that I do stuff with on a monthly basis. And I have single girlfriends at work that don't really hang with us as a couple. But this girl had no friends at her wedding...?? That's very strange to me.

But you see.. if she doesn't have any friends.. YOU are her friend. No gals to go out with.. no gals to gossip with.. no gals to take her shopping.. no gals to get her out of your hair while you watch the game with your buddies...

:o

I understand what you mean. But, I mean if she accepts your friends and fits in well, she'll make friend with their girlfriends and wives. My wife went to a huge high school and doesn't stay in constant contact with a lot of people from there, unlike me, who went to a small school. But, she makes friends easily and now hangs with my friends' wives.

I'll give you an example: when we were dating we went to a bar with a bunch of my buddies and there girlfriends. I saw somebody I hadn't seen in a long time on the way to the bathroom. I stodd there and talked to him for about 30 minutes. When I got back to the table I thought I was going to hear about it. But, instead, she just said, "Hi." I knew I was in love. A girl that didn't need my constant attention!

I think he was showing a proper amount of respect for his soon to be bride. Marriage is about respecting each others opinions and finding someone you can love all your life. If he is comfortable with not staying out until dawn, they found a nice union.

I understand what you mean. But, I mean if she accepts your friends and fits in well, she'll make friend with their girlfriends and wives. My wife went to a huge high school and doesn't stay in constant contact with a lot of people from there, unlike me, who went to a small school. But, she makes friends easily and now hangs with my friends' wives.

I'll give you an example: when we were dating we went to a bar with a bunch of my buddies and there girlfriends. I saw somebody I hadn't seen in a long time on the way to the bathroom. I stodd there and talked to him for about 30 minutes. When I got back to the table I thought I was going to hear about it. But, instead, she just said, "Hi." I knew I was in love. A girl that didn't need my constant attention!

I elaborated a bit more in response to QP. I completely agree with you. But it doesn't sound like this gal is open to accepting others. Maybe she'll change and everything will be OK. For your friends sake.. I hope so. Divorce sucks.

I think he was showing a proper amount of respect for his soon to be bride. Marriage is about respecting each others opinions and finding someone you can love all your life. If he is comfortable with not staying out until dawn, they found a nice union.

I somewhat agree, Tex. While everyone else was trying to talk him into staying out later I just stayed quiet. I just figured he's gone already. If this is what he wants - it's what he wants. He'll never have the relationship I have and IMO, that's his problem. If this is what he thinks is a perfect relationship - so be it. Part of me is glad they live so far away.

Part of me is glad they live so far away.

Yes.. be glad. Jim has a friend that is soooo miserable all he does is complain about his situation when we're all together.. yet does nothing about it. This is a guy in his second marriage, no small children, and the woman he's married to controls his every movement. We planned a golf outing in Arizona last year and he went.. and I kid you not it took months of begging and whining for him to get to go - then he could only go for Sat & Sunday (the trip was Thurs to Sunday) and then she called him 300 times over the 2 days. He complains about her in general, the lack of sex, the amount of $$ she spends. It's unreal. And the kicker is this guy is a CEO, and a former military commander of some type. A born leader and no bs taker. She's got him by the you know what's and all he does is complain... It's sad, but noone ever wants to be around him anymore.

Yes.. be glad. Jim has a friend that is soooo miserable all he does is complain about his situation when we're all together.. yet does nothing about it. This is a guy in his second marriage, no small children, and the woman he's married to controls his every movement. We planned a golf outing in Arizona last year and he went.. and I kid you not it took months of begging and whining for him to get to go - then he could only go for Sat & Sunday (the trip was Thurs to Sunday) and then she called him 300 times over the 2 days. He complains about her in general, the lack of sex, the amount of $$ she spends. It's unreal. And the kicker is this guy is a CEO, and a former military commander of some type. A born leader and no bs taker. She's got him by the you know what's and all he does is complain... It's sad, but noone ever wants to be around him anymore.

That sounds familiar. I love my wife even more now!