Adding to the Sox Bullpen

beck72

If the Braves lose Drew, what use do they have with Lee?  From what I can tell, Charles Thomas does not have the arm to play RF, and Lee sure as hell can't play RF on a regular basis either.

I mean, I do see pieces of a big time trade that could be made between the two teams...with Furcal having run ins with the law, and Garland being mediocre for us, I definately do. 

And I'm wondering personally why Atlanta wouldn't want Konerko over Lee...Lee's the better ballplayer(or atleast I think he is), so his value is higher...but as I said, Atlanta really has no use for Lee, while they do Konerko, and, IIRC, Lee is scheduled to make more money next year then Konerko is anyways(just barely, but he does).

I could definately see a swap of like Konerko, Garland, and Adkins for Furcal and Cruz...something along those lines.

ATL would need a starting SS. Uribe would probably be part of any deal. He's cheap and provides good d, and has power.

1B is set for LaRouche. Probably full time in 2005. He looks like an Olerud type. which means getting power at other positions necessary [like at SS]

thomas may not be their answer in LF or RF. But if Drew leaves, they'll definitely need some power to fill the void. A guy like Lee, locked up for two yrs, might be to their liking.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATL would need a starting SS. Uribe would probably be part of any deal. He's cheap and provides good d, and has power.

1B is set for LaRouche. Probably full time in 2005. He looks like an Olerud type. which means getting power at other positions necessary [like at SS]

thomas may not be their answer in LF or RF. But if Drew leaves, they'll definitely need some power to fill the void. A guy like Lee, locked up for two yrs, might be to their liking.

If they don't mind having an awful arm in RF, then Lee/Thomas would be great for them.

Also, I do not believe we need to include Uribe in the deal. With us getting Furcal, they could then go out and sign Vizquel to a 2-year deal for around $8-10 mill with an option for the 3rd year. If he hits well enough, he can lead off for them, with Giles/Thomas remaining in the #2 spot, and the other moving down in the order.

IMO, if Uribe is part of the deal, I say no...I really like Uribe. He looks like he could be a hell of a good player someday.

BTW...qwerty, I know you're right now that you bring it up. I'm remembering that he signed a 2-year, $15 mill in like Feb of 03...$6 mill in 03, $8 mill in 04 and that option for 06 of a $1 mill buyout...so he's guaranteed $15 mill.

BTW...qwerty, I know you're right now that you bring it up.  I'm remembering that he signed a 2-year, $15 mill in like Feb of 03...$6 mill in 03, $8 mill in 04 and that option for 06 of a $1 mill buyout...so he's guaranteed $15 mill.

Actually he made 6.5 million this past year and the buy out is for 500,000. :P

IMO, if Uribe is part of the deal, I say no...I really like Uribe.  He looks like he could be a hell of a good player someday.

the key is would Uribe be the type of SS that the current/ future Sox need? If its either Uribe or Furcal, I'd have to go w/ Furcal. He's more of a difference maker. Uribe hsould be good. But he can't [and probably won't] do the things Furcal can.

But in order to get quality the Sox have to give up quality. Uribe is valuable.

It has been said that Furcal has the best arm of any SS in baseball, and I tned to agree. I think the Braves will have a definite need for a power bat if Drew leaves. BTW, someone mentioned that Drew loves it there and yada, yada but Boras is his agent so he'll love it most where they pay the most. Though, I seriously have no idea who that might be (cubs?)

the key is would Uribe be the type of SS that the current/ future Sox need? If its either Uribe or Furcal, I'd have to go w/ Furcal. He's more of a difference maker. Uribe hsould be good. But he can't [and probably won't] do the things Furcal can.

But in order to get quality the Sox have to give up quality. Uribe is valuable.

If uribe can some how develope a better eye and he gets about 20-30 more walks a year he is a better player than furcal i feel. Uribe also needs help with his base running, and furcal is not exactly a huge threat on the base paths.

Here's what I got from one of the guy's over at Braves Buzz:

As for Furcal, it would be very hard to replace him. He's one of the fastest guys in the league and I don't know who could take over the #1 spot in the lineup. It's arbitration year for him and he'll be getting a good bit of money. That money could go to re-signing Drew or Wright if he's traded. As for a player in return, the only guy I see coming from the White Sox is an infielder. There's nobody ready for an everyday job at shortstop that's already on the Braves. Unless there's no way in re-signing Drew, I'd take Carlos Lee any day, but now I'm starting to dream.

I just don't want Furcal leaving. He's way too valuable to give up like that.

If uribe can some how develope a better eye and he gets about 20-30 more walks a year he is a better player than furcal i feel. Uribe also needs help with his base running, and furcal is not exactly a huge threat on the base paths.

No threat on the bases?! I guess Furcal's 29 SB's this year were a misprint. My bad

Uribe is a nice player. Yet the Sox could use Furcal's speed, batting eye [55 BB's to 71 SO's] and switch hitting ability. If you can get a leadoff hitter for a #6 hitter, you should do it.

How can you say that Furcal isn't a huge threat on the base pads? The guy is probably one of the top 10 fastest guys in the league. He has stolen at least 20+ bags in all 5 major league seasons(25+ in every season except 2001 when he only had 324 AB). He has stolen 54 bases in 62 attempts(87%) over the last two years(77% career). He also is among the league leaders in infield hits. If you watch any Braves games, than you will see that his speed causes pitchers problems when he is on the base pads. In conclusion, Furcal IS one of the biggest threats on the base pads. Combine that with a solid BA/OBP, good bunting, good plate disipline, and good power(for a middle infielder) and you have one of the top leadoff hitters in the game. I am a big Uribe fan, but I would definately give him up if it meant acquiring Furcal.

Atlanta does have some options if they do trade Furcal. They do have a solid SS prospect by the name of Betemit(once considered a top prospect) who had a solid year at AAA .278/12/59 .794 OPS and solid D. They also have Nick Green, who had a solid rookie year and could get some PT at SS(although his natural position is 2B). They could also look to find a cheap short-term option such as Vizquel. Uribe doesn't have to be a part of a deal for Furcal, but I am sure that the Braves would want him included in a deal.

My second choice would be Roberts(Baltimore). I wouldn't mind Hairston, but if I were trading with Baltimore, than I would ask for Roberts and settle for Hairston if they won't budge on Roberts. Roberts is a very good leadoff hitter. He hits for a solid average, draws walks, works the count, handles the bat well(bunting, ect), has great speed, has decent pop(50 doubles this year). He is also cheap(allowing the Sox to spend money on other needs), still has a couple of years before he is a FA, still young(27), very solid defensively. I think Baltimore and the Sox are perfect trade partners since Baltimore has a leadoff hitting 2B and good right handed reliever to start a package, while the Sox have 2 power options that would probably interest Baltimore.

How can you say that Furcal isn't a huge threat on the base pads? The guy is probably one of the top 10 fastest guys in the league. He has stolen at least 20+ bags in all 5 major league seasons(25+ in every season except 2001 when he only had 324 AB). He has stolen 54 bases in 62 attempts(87%) over the last two years(77% career). He also is among the league leaders in infield hits. If you watch any Braves games, than you will see that his speed causes pitchers problems when he is on the base pads. In conclusion, Furcal IS one of the biggest threats on the base pads. Combine that with a solid BA/OBP, good bunting, good plate disipline, and good power(for a middle infielder) and you have one of the top leadoff hitters in the game. I am a big Uribe fan, but I would definately give him up if it meant acquiring Furcal.

Someone with his speed should constantly steal 50,60,70 bases a year as should willie. Honestly. I agree that he has good power for a middle infielder, but his is obp is not great for a lead-off hitter it is good.

From my conversations with ATL fans, their main concern isn't SS w/o Furcal; It's the absence of a laed-off man.

Seeing how Marcus Giles has had an OBP of .370+ and .390+ the last 2 years, w/ 14 SB's in '03 and 17 this year in limited action [350 some AB's], I'd put Giles there. I know Giles is a good #2 hitter. Yet he could probably hit leadoff. The question would then be who would hit #2. I haven't checked on that.

Seeing how Marcus Giles has had an OBP of .370+ and .390+ the last 2 years, w/ 14 SB's in '03 and 17 this year in limited action [350 some AB's], I'd put Giles there. I know Giles is a good #2 hitter. Yet he could probably hit leadoff. The question would then be who would hit #2. I haven't checked on that.

They seem to really like charles thomas. He could probally slide right into the 2 hole i am thinking.