White

Guest wsc425

If it wasn't for this board, I would have no idea what is happening in ST. I have no desire to read or follow practice games.

I have no concerns about any player whether they're playing good or not till May.

With hitters, you can be a little worried, but with pitchers, you don't look too much into their stats if they have proven themselves before. Pitchers era's can be overstated big time and it could just be they were working on another pitch or whatever. They will all have their blowups, especially in spring.

i saw him pitch two innings against the brew crew this spring...he retired 6 of the 7 batters he faced...excellent fastball that sinks and runs in on righties...alot like jon garland's...that 7th batter...got a spinner right over the plate...that ball had no break on it and was spanked about 400 feet...

i think he will be fine once we leave the desert

You have to remember that White was ineffective in Colorado, but when he went to St. Louis he was awesome. I'm not concerned about White, he'll be a good addition to that bullpen. I like the fact that he's not afraid to come inside on a batter, back them off the plate. I hope the younger guys will be watching him.

As far as not caring about what anyody does in Spring Training, I think you have to. Rosters are made on spring performances. And, how could you not get excited about the way Frank and Carlos are hitting the damn ball? I'm looking for 1,000 runs......... apiece! :headbang Just kidding. But I raelly think this team will score 1,000 runs.

Doesn't anyone think that Ginter would give the Sox a better long reliever that White?  Ginter also still has some potential at becoming a major league starter.  White does not.

Why do the Sox need another starter at this point?

More or less what meant was if Ginter had some success this year he would have a lot mroe trade value than White.

More or less what  meant was if Ginter had some success this year he would have a lot mroe trade value than White.

That's fine, if we were the Royals or Tigers. But, we are competing for the playoffs here--not the best time to be auditioning rookies for trade possibilities.

In 2000  we scored 978 runs. Jose did not hit .300 then, nor did Ray, I think. It can be done this year.

You're cool, you're cocky, you're bad...and you're also correct

In 2000, the Sox scored 978 runs, and Durham (#1 hitter) hit .280 and Valentin (#2 hitter) hit .273.

I think Jimenez is capable of being a better lead-off hitter than Durham (he strikes out less -- Durham struck out 105 times in 2000), and Valentin is still going to hit 2nd.

Also, we had Singleton in CF (.254, 11, 62) -- Aaron IMO can do that if not better.

We had Perry at 3rd (.308, 12, 61) -- Crede's HR's and RBI will likely be higher, and his AVG might be as well.

Mags hit .315, 32, 126 -- if he continues to improve as he has every year, he could dwarf those numbers in '03 (maybe .330, 40, 140?)

Sure, there are a few players that will really have to step up (such as Frank, who had a career year in 2000), and guys like Olivo and Lee will have to perform up to their ability for the Sox to score 1000 runs, but it is something that is definitely possible.

Doesn't anyone think that Ginter would give the Sox a better long reliever that White?  Ginter also still has some potential at becoming a major league starter.  White does not.

Glover is the long reliever....NOT White.

White is a 6th inning guy....if your starter has some trouble....he comes out after 5....and White goes in and pitches an inning or two....to get the ball to the setup guys. He is also a guy that can give Gordon a day off if needed, or he can fill in for Gordon if Gordon is needed for a save because Koch is tired....or White could be used as a closer if Koch is being rested.

The one thing he is not is a starter. White starting scares the hell out of me. Glover is the spot starter.