Maggs gone-100%

Soxfest

I'd have to reluctantly say no. The relationship between Mags and this organization has been damaged beyond repair & with Mags hiring Scott Boras, who's considered nothing short of a pariah by Sox fans, that relationship would never be the same. I'd rather see Borchard struggle to get it together and continue to follow the progress of Anderson & Sweeney in the minors.

Good luck wherever you head Mags. 'Cause I don't see the Southside of Chicago as a viable option anymore.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say yes but that's with a qualifier that we wouldn't have to give up someone else simply to keep Maggs. I wouldn't offer arbitration as I think he'd get 14-16 million. There's no way they'd turn that down. I believe that players never get less money via arbitration. Sometimes players agree to not accept arbitration in a handshake deal, and then the player allows the team to get the pick (happens with Oakland all the time).

I agree. I would be surprised if the Sox offer him arbitration. I think he would take it in a heartbeat.

I agree.  I would be surprised if the Sox offer him arbitration.  I think he would take it in a heartbeat.

I would have said, No, don't offer him arbitration until I read this article.

How many Scott Boras clients have ever accepted arbitration? If he actually is with Boras, it may just be a well placed gamble to offer it to him, knowing it will be rejected.

I'd say yes but that's with a qualifier that we wouldn't have to give up someone else simply to keep Maggs. I wouldn't offer arbitration as I think he'd get 14-16 million. There's no way they'd turn that down. I believe that players never get less money via arbitration. Sometimes players agree to not accept arbitration in a handshake deal, and then the player allows the team to get the pick (happens with Oakland all the time).

A player can get less $$$ at arbitration, but it's capped at 80% of the previous years salary. Meaning you can't take more than a 20% pay cut.

I would have said, No, don't offer him arbitration until I read this article.

How many Scott Boras clients have ever accepted arbitration?  If he actually is with Boras, it may just be a well placed gamble to offer it to him, knowing it will be rejected.

I think risking at least $11 million on a player who potentially will not be able to play at all, just for a draft pick or 2 is very silly. Maybe Magglio signs with someone before the White Sox have to offer arbitration, I think that's the only way they will offer it to him.

I think risking at least $11 million on a player who potentially will not be able to play at all, just for a draft pick or 2  is very silly. Maybe Magglio signs with someone before the White Sox have to offer arbitration, I think that's the only way they will

As I said, It's not a gamble I would take were Boras not Magg's agent. (damn double negative) -- It's a huge risk, and one I don't think they take, but it should be considered, knowing that Boras would likely regect any arbitration offer.

As for some team swooping into save the sox the trouble of having to make a tough decision, Arbitratoin offers have to be made by the first week of December. Is there any reason to believe that Maggs will be off the market by that time given SB's past dealings.

As I said, It's not a gamble I would take were Boras not Magg's agent. (damn double negative) -- It's a huge risk, and one I don't think they take, but it should be considered, knowing that Boras would likely regect any arbitration offer.

As for some team swooping into save the sox the trouble of having to make a tough decision, Arbitratoin offers have to be made by the first week of December.  Is there any reason to believe that Maggs will be off the market by that time given SB's past dealings.

Actually Cheat, I think it is quite the opposite and there is precedent for it. Greg Maddux is a Boras client who accepted arbitration and went back to the Braves after the 2002 season. The Braves thought the very same thing and got burned, later having to trade Kevin Millwood to free up payroll, never thinking they would be paying Maddux another year.

As you mentioned, a player in arbitration cannot be offered less than a sum equalling 80% of his previous year's salary, which in this case is $11.2 million.

Unless there is precedent I am not aware of, players generally are not penalized in arbitration cases where their production was down due to injury. I don't even think the Sox would submit an offer of $11.2, more likely submitting a figure somewhere in the $12.5-$13.5 million range, in hopes they could win their case.

My guess is that Boras would advise Maggs to accept arbitration in a heartbeat, get what he can and hope to come back strong next year so they can do free agency all over again.

Even at worst case scenario, would you offer Maggs $11.2 million with him coming off a down year and a knee injury that may keep him from being ready on Opening Day? I wouldn't unless I was ready to pay it.

Arbitration:  Why the owners let themselves get painted into that corner is something I'll never understand, and then they had a chance to change it in the last collective bargaining agreement, and all they could talk about was steroids.

Steroids are not a huge issue or anything. :rolly

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but he'd only get 80% of his current salary in arbitration. Approx $11 million.. Right?

What happened to the "It's not about the money" players. I would love to have a true ungreedy player on the Sox let alone one in the Majors. All seem greedy in some way. You hear many a player say that line sometime during their play with a team...but when it actually comes time to sign a new contract, perhaps a final career contract, they get greedy and it's all for the money.

I see Maggs thinking as:I have a career threatening injury, i need as much money as i can before it's too late...especially if i can't get a ring.

:headshake

I think Maggs has to be commended for all he has done for the White Sox.

Yeah...all those AL flags that he carried his team too...put the Sox on his back and carried them all the way. Is Maggs a good ball player...sure...he's no Vlad though.

What happened to the "It's not about the money" players.  I would love to have a true ungreedy player on the Sox let alone one in the Majors.  All seem greedy in some way.  You hear many a player say that line sometime during their play with a team...but when it actually comes time to sign a new contract, perhaps a final career contract, they get greedy and it's all for the money.

They're all playing for the Yankees.

What happened to the "It's not about the money" players.  I would love to have a true ungreedy player on the Sox let alone one in the Majors.  All seem greedy in some way.  You hear many a player say that line sometime during their play with a team...but when it actually comes time to sign a new contract, perhaps a final career contract, they get greedy and it's all for the money.

Let alone in professional sports period! And with that...I still have to refer to a lost great man...Pat Tillman. Dude turned down a $8 or 9M deal with the Rams to stay with the team he felt loyalty to for giving him a chance...the Cardinals for around $3-4M. It wasn't about the money with him at all.

Tillman.jpg

You Da Man Pat!

I think risking at least $11 million on a player who potentially will not be able to play at all, just for a draft pick or 2  is very silly. Maybe Magglio signs with someone before the White Sox have to offer arbitration, I think that's the only way they will offer it to him.

Ya, I'd rather save that money, draft a few first round talent guys that slip into the latter roudns (it always happens) and piss of Selig and offer them 1st or 2nd round money. That be a hell of a lot smarter then taking a shot on Maggs turning down arbitration just to get an extra 2 draft picks, imo.

Yeah...all those AL flags that he carried his team too...put the Sox on his back and carried them all the way.  Is Maggs a good ball player...sure...he's no Vlad though.

Agree 100% He is not in VG league and wanting paid like VG is my biggest problem with Maggs...............see yeah Maggs

Ok...new thought...

Say the Sox could actually bring Mags back, for a one year contract loaded with incentives...would you or would you not want him back? 

Just say yes or no.

My vote...

No.

Here's my vote...

:fyou Maggs. And your asshole agent gets a few :fyou :fyou :fyou