The truth seeps out of the Trib finally

southsider2k5

The once snuggly relationship between the White Sox and Magglio Ordonez is turning into one of baseball's most bizarre off-season stories, and general manager Ken Williams clearly is tiring of it.

Ordonez, who sat with Williams at U.S. Cellular Field waving to fans and TV cameras near the end of the season, has become a puzzle to the organization. Not only did he strangely go to Austria to have knee surgery, he apparently has switched agents from Tom Reich to Scott Boras.

This only can delay the Sox's attempt to examine Ordonez's surgically repaired knee, an injury that cost him the final 2 1/2 months of the season. The Sox don't know if Ordonez can walk, much less play baseball, so they don't know if they want him back in right field or whether to pursue other options.

Right now the Sox's plan appears to be progressing without Ordonez.

"I have to proceed with the information in front of me and make plans based on that," Williams said. "Everything else is pure conjecture. If I have to make an adjustment because more information comes our way, so be it. I can't be caught waiting around."

When information on Ordonez will be forthcoming is anybody's guess, but it is likely to take some time for Boras to gather all the background on Ordonez, including the outcome of surgery for bone marrow edema in his left knee.

Complicating matters is Boras himself. It is no secret that while Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf gets along with Reich, he strongly dislikes Boras, baseball's highest-profile agent, who negotiated a 10-year, $252 million contract for Alex Rodriguez with Texas.

Asked if this complicated the increasingly curious case of Ordonez, Williams replied, "I would be putting myself and the organization in a litigious situation if I were to answer that as I see it."

Asked if he could get a contract signed without Reinsdorf's involvement, Williams said, "We work as a team, but we can't get to the contract stage yet no matter who his agent is."

Boras did not return calls seeking comment, and attempts to reach Ordonez were unsuccessful.

The Sox say they have no updates on their All-Star right fielder, who can file for free agency a day after the World Series.

"I had [told] various people, including Maggs, that we would like to have our doctors see him, or at least some [doctor] we have confidence in," Williams said.

Ordonez supposedly has started rehab at a Florida clinic, though it is unknown if any of the nation's best sports surgeons have approved it for insurance purposes.

It appears certain Ordonez, even though he is only 30, will not get anything near the five-year, $70 million contract he sought during the season. The Sox made a counteroffer reportedly close to that total, but Ordonez turned it down.

Sometime soon Ordonez will have to prove--at least to some degree--his readiness to play. Williams hopes that time isn't far away because he has until Dec. 7 to offer arbitration. If he does, and Ordonez accepts, an impartial arbitrator would decide his salary for one season. The figure likely would be about $14 million.

Obviously, the Sox want to avoid doing that, but they also want the draft choices Ordonez would bring if he goes through free agency after refusing arbitration or signs with a team before Dec. 7. The tough-minded Boras is likely to keep them guessing until the end, as he did with the Braves and Greg Maddux, who got $15 million in arbitration for 2003.

"Will we even know by Dec. 7 if he is healthy?" Williams asked. "All indications are no."

Williams said he will leave the door open for negotiations for a time.

"Maggs is one heck of a player, and he has meant a lot to the organization," Williams said. "We owe it to all concerned to let it play out as long as we can. We may find out we have a meeting of the minds and his health is good."

He didn't sound overly optimistic at that happening, especially now that Boras apparently has become the middle man.

Extra innings

The Sox will have organizational meetings in Las Vegas in early November, and baseball sources have said they will make a hard push for free-agent Cleveland shortstop Omar Vizquel, although Williams would not confirm that. The Indians refused to pick up a $5 million option on the leadoff hitter, who batted .291 with seven homers and 59 RBIs. . . . The Sox are expected to pick up contract options for next season on relievers Cliff Politte and Shingo Takatsu. Politte will be paid $1.2 million next season and Takatsu $2.5 million. They are the only two Sox who have options for next season.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing interesting there is supposed interest in vizquel.

This was the most entertaining line IMO.

Asked if this complicated the increasingly curious case of Ordonez, Williams replied, "I would be putting myself and the organization in a litigious situation if I were to answer that as I see it."

This injury is the greatest thing that could have happened for JR. Whether Maggs is as well as he says he is after surgery is anyone's guess. But now JR has his excuse to cheap out again. I'll believe JR was serious about signing Maggs when he reallocates the Maggs money to make an offer to Beltran.

Won't happen.

the only thing interesting there is supposed interest in vizquel.

Why make a "hard push" for a player at the end of his career that not even Cleveland wants around anymore?

Go get a young shortstop or put Uribe there and go spend money on another position. Getting Vizquel would be a waste, see Roberto Alomar.

Vizquel is NOT Robbie Alomar. Look at Julio Franco...it is possible to contribute to a team well into your late 30s. Vizquel is the type of player the Sox "say" they are going to try and produce...small-ballers...or as Ozzie would say "Little ball." His defense and ability to lay down a bunt alone, would improve this team. He won't win a gold glove, but he is still a vaccume.

This injury is the greatest thing that could have happened for JR. Whether Maggs is as well as he says he is after surgery is anyone's guess. But now JR has his excuse to cheap out again. I'll believe JR was serious about signing Maggs when he reallocates the Maggs money to make an offer to Beltran.

Won't happen.

f*** Maggs and the asshole agent that he rode out of town on. If he worked in any other profession and pulled the s*** he has, he would have been s***canned and blacklisted. But because he can hit a fastball some idiot is going to offer him a ton of money :rolly I hope the Yankees or Red Sox sign him and end up eating that whole s***ty contract because he can't play.

f*** Maggs and the asshole agent that he rode out of town on.  If he worked in any other profession and pulled the s*** he has, he would have been s***canned and blacklisted.  But because he can hit a fastball some idiot is going to offer him a ton of money :rolly I hope the Yankees or Red Sox sign him and end up eating that whole s***ty contract because he can't play.

What's that have to do with reallocating the Maggs money to Beltran?

Won't happen.

C'mon Killa.. . The deal to Maggs was for $62 million (give or take a few as I have heard it was for $65 million also). Maggs wanted $70 million. The deal was legit. Maggs is kicking himself in the ass for not taking it.. no doubt about that.

The Sox are expected to pick up contract options for next season on relievers Cliff Politte and Shingo Takatsu. Politte will be paid $1.2 million next season and Takatsu $2.5 million. They are the only two Sox who have options for next season.

Didn't we already resign Politte?

And Maggs...I love ya as a Sox player, but as a Sox employee, you suck.

The $62-$65 million you just mentioned

Most of that $$, using common sense, is paying Garcia, Contraras, Shingo, Cliff, and the rest of the guys who are getting paid over the previous years plan.

And why are you already s***ting on them before the WS isn't even been played for not doing anything..??

Damn Killa.. at least wait until the winter meeting hotel reservations are made before you let the air out of the balloon..

Or at least until the financials are closed and they see what they have to work with. They used the '03 profits on players.. I'm sure they'll use the '04 ones also.

You and Henry and I4E would be best friends in the "real world".. :lol:

I think KW has wisened up and will stay away from Mags.  This situation has Grant Hill written all over it.

Southside, you have definately taken on the role of being our resident Anti-Mags man now! :lol:

Yeah I guess I am, but the sad thing is that I had been one of Maggs biggest fans up until this injury. Just like Sammy it looks like he made a nice career out of smiling and waving to the camera, while being a complete different person in reality. His true colors have come out during this last year for sure.

Most of that $$, using common sense, is paying Garcia, Contraras, Shingo, Cliff, and the rest of the guys who are getting paid over the previous years plan.

And why are you already s***ting on them before the WS isn't even been played for not doing anything..??

Damn Killa.. at least wait until the winter meeting hotel reservations are made before you let the air out of the balloon..

Or at least until the financials are closed and they see what they have to work with. They used the '03 profits on players.. I'm sure they'll use the '04 ones also.

You and Henry and I4E would be best friends in the "real world"..  :lol:

So, injury or not, Maggs would have been gone and playing for someone else then, if he does play again, in 2005. There's a shock.

And you know I crap on them because of this Organization's track record. The Organization won't seriously pursue a Beltran, a Pavano, a Clement, or any other mid to high priced FA because JR and Co. will be too busy screaming poor.

After 20+ years of the same crap year in and year out..... cheapness, failure to fill holes, blaming fans and attendance and now the media..... why am I supposed to believe anything is going to change suddenly for '05?

So, injury or not, Maggs would have been gone and playing for someone else then, if he does play again, in 2005. There's a shock.

And you know I crap on them because of this Organization's track record. The Organization won't seriously pursue a Beltran, a Pavano, a Clement, or any other mid to high priced FA because JR and Co. will be too busy screaming poor.

After 20+ years of the same crap year in and year out..... cheapness, failure to fill holes, blaming fans and attendance and now the media..... why am I supposed to believe anything is going to change suddenly for '05?

I couldn't agree with you more!

:headbang :cheers :notworthy

Where did you get that from what I posted...??

And yes.. I know why you do what you do. You need a hobby.. :lol:

And where are the Sox, or Jerry, crying poor..? :nono :stick

And Killa.. do me a little itty bitty favor.. just wait until after the winter meetings are over... OK..? I honestly believe that you will be pleased with what the Sox attempt to do.

once again, I don't think fans as a whole can complain about an organization not spending money if they themselves refuse to do so...

You can complain if an organization is making no attempt to win and aren't bringing in good players, and unless one is blinded by his pure hatred of the organization, nobody can go and say the Sox haven't been trying.

all this JR is cheap crap is really getting old.

I'll give you a reason. Because you are a Sox fan. Not a Sox organization fan. Not a K-Dub fan. Not a JR fan. A White Sox fan. Cheer for the team they put out on the field, because we don't have a say in who they go after, who wants to sign but isn't offered money, who's offered a contract but wouldn't sign here, etc. It's fun to debate over who the Sox should sign and who they should release. It's not fun to hear about how ownership sucks ALL THE TIME!!! I've done it too, so I'm guilty of it too. Still, Chicago has the WORST ownership in all of the major sports. I think that's common knowledge. So, we've been patient for 96, 87, 41, 19, and 6 years. We can be patient for a while longer until our ownership moves on. Maybe we should pool Soxtalk money and buy the team. I'll start...i've got $4.83 on me. ;)