Wow. Just wow.

southsider2k5

Being a strong proponent of civil liberties, he has the right to say what he said.

But really...what a f***ing dumbass thing to say.  I'm with him about the racism/oppression etc. but what pisses me off is the people that just acquiesce with that instead of doing stuff to *gasp* change it.

I have zero problem with him being *allowed* to say it. The thing is, that might be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. Can you imagine if a white artist had said something like he was glad Rwanda happened? This would be splattered everywhere. Instead this story is buried somewhere on Yahoo's s***ty newsnetwork. :headshake

His response:

KRS-ONE’S RESPONSE TO THE DAILY NEWS

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read my words taken out of context I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant or even a complete quote of my point is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as “we cheered when 911 happened!” I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day. I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!

A young lady asked about what we can do beyond voting to change the political state of things in our country? I responded not by irresponsibly stating that “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place” and that’s all. I am a poet and I speak poetically. My full statement was “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place. If you want to go beyond voting American interests must put a gun to its head and commit suicide because as long as we are only interested in American interests we go out and invade the rest of the world. The real question is are you a citizen of the United States or are you a citizen of the world? And so for me, I would say voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption.”

I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. My views were indeed different and most were personal. However, when I was asked about why Hiphop has not engaged the current situation more (meaning 911) my responds was “because it does not affect us, or at least we don’t perceive that it effects us, 911 happened to them”. I went on to say that “I am speaking for the culture now; I am not speaking my personal opinion”. I continued to say; “911 effected them down the block; the rich, the powerful those that are oppressing us as a culture. Sony, RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations, Clear Channel, Viacom with BET and MTV, those are our oppressors those are the people that we’re trying to overcome in Hiphop everyday, this is a daily thing. We cheered when 911 happened in New York and say that proudly here. Because when we were down at the trade center we were getting hit over the head by cops, told that we can’t come in this building, hustled down to the train station because of the way we dressed and talked, and so on, we were racially profiled. So, when the planes hit the building we were like; mmmm justice.” And just as I began to say “now of course a lot of our friends and family were lost there as well” but I was interrupted.

My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall. These are not my views only; these views represent a popular truth that few people are really ready to hear. No one wished death on anyone or just sat and “cheered when 911 happened”. But some of us can see through the bulls***! America must change its approach to the world and its citizens. This, I believe is what all Americans should be thinking about. How do we make our country better?

For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. So how all of a sudden now can I be aligned with Al Qaeda? What happened to honest debate and freedom of speech! I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to align me with Al Qaeda is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the street voice of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it, so what’s the point. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the one-sided Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that it (the Daily News) has tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2001 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say about its view of world events then don’t ask!

Here is a song that came out when I was a junior in high school. I remember the video too. They had to edit it, of course. Pay attention to the last two lines of the first verse. They didn't edit that in the video...I remember that much.

KRS-One- "Ah Yeah"

Ah yeah, that's whatcha say when you see a devil down

Ah yeah, that's whatcha say when you take the devil's crown

Ah yeah, stay alive all things will change around

Ah yeah, what?  Ah yeah!

Verse One: KRS-One

So here I go kickin science in ninety-five

I be illin, parental discretion is advised still

dont call me n****, this MC goes for his

Call me God, cause that's what the black man is

Roamin through the forest as the hardest lyrical artist

Black women you are not a b**** you're a Goddess

Let it be known, you can lean on KRS-One

Like a wall cause I'm hard, I represent GOD

Wack MC's have only one style: gun buck

But when you say, "Let's buck for revolution"

They shut the f*** up, kid, get with it

Down to start a riot in a minute

You'll hear so many Bowe-Bowe-Bowe, you think I'm Riddick

While other MC's are talkin bout up with hope down with dope

I'll have a devil in my infrared scope, WOY!

That's for calling my father a boy and, KLAK KLAK KLAK!

That's for putting scars on my mother's back, BO!

That's for calling my sister a hoe, and for you

BUCK BUCK BUCK, cause I don't give a motherf***

Remember the whip, remember the chant, remember about rope and

you black people still thinkin about vot-ing

Every president we ever had lied

You know I'm kinda glad Nixon died!

Chorus

Verse Two: KRS

This is not the first time I came to the planet

But everytime I come, only a few could understand it

I came as Isis, my words they tried to ban it

I came as Moses, they couldn't follow my commandments

I came as Solomon, to a people that was lost

I came as Jesus, but they nailed me to a cross

I came as Harriet Tubman, I put the truth to Sojourner

Other times, I had to come as Nat Turner

They tried to burn me, lynch me and starve me

So I had to come back as Marcus Garvey, Bob Marley

They tried to harm me, I used to be Malcolm X

Now I'm on the planet as the one called KRS

Kickin the metaphysical, spiritual, tryin to like

get wit you, showin you, you are invincible

The Black Panther is the black answer for real

In my spiritual form,  I turn into Bobby Seale

On the wheels of steel, my spirit flies away

and enters into Kwame Ture

Chorus

Verse Three: KRS-One

In the streets there is no EQ, no di-do-di-do-di-do

So I grab the air and speak through the code

the devil cannot see through as I unload

into another cerebellum

Then I can tell em, because my vibes go through denim

and leather whatever, however, I'm still rockin

We used to pick cotton, now we pick up cotton when we shoppin

Have you forgotten why we buildin in a cypher

Yo hear me kid, government is building in a pyramid

The son of God is brighter than the son of man

The spirit is, check your dollar bill G, here it is

We got no time for fancy mathematics

Your mental frequency frequently pickin up static

Makin you a naked body, attic and it's democratic

They press auto, and you kill it with an automatic

Hearing his explanation makes the remarks seem somewhat less inflammatory...but more ridiculous. A few other notes:

1) Calling yourself a philosopher does not make you a philosopher

2) Saying you speak for the "Hiphop community" doesn't make you the community's spokesperson

3) What the f*** is the "Hiphop Community?" Do they have a library? Elks Club? A&P? Establishing a community predicated on musical taste is a laughable concept, especially for a genre as mainstream and commercialized as hiphop.

4) He calls his speech "poetic." Hardly, It's nothing but garden variety rabble-rousing chock full of mind-numbingly stupid exaggerations; he's so hell-bent on creating controversy that he buries some decent points beneath a steaming pile of over-the-top crap.

Hearing his explanation makes the remarks seem somewhat less inflammatory...but more ridiculous.  A few other notes:

1)  Calling yourself a philosopher does not make you a philosopher

2)  Saying you speak for the "Hiphop community" doesn't make you the community's spokesperson

3)  What the f*** is the "Hiphop Community?"  Do they have a library?  Elks Club?  A&P?  Establishing a community predicated on musical taste is a laughable concept, especially for a genre as mainstream and commercialized as hiphop.

4)  He calls his speech "poetic."  Hardly, It's nothing but garden variety rabble-rousing chock full of mind-numbingly stupid exaggerations; he's so hell-bent on creating controversy that he buries some decent points beneath a steaming pile of over-the-top crap.

1) agreed.

2) true, i suppose, but if someone really wanted to pick a spokesman, KRS, for a long time, would've had to be a part of any conversation about who said spokesman would be.

3) it's not just predicated on musical taste. if anything, someone considering himself or herself part of the hip-hop community would be basing it on what they perceive as a lifestyle. hip-hop's usually considered to have four main elements--DJing, MCing, breaking, graffitti; obviously, not all of those things are just music. does a group of people with like lifestyle constitute a community? i dunno. but it's not quite as simple as you make it either.

4) agreed, but it saddens me. i like some of KRS-1's stuff quite a bit and used to respect him some. but this does smack of a cheap headline-grab, even if it was terribly distorted by the daily news.