Kris Honel Article

DBAHO

Nothing new really,

The rebuilding of right-handed pitcher Kris Honel began near the end of the 2004 regular season and carried into Instructional League play, which comes to a close this weekend in Arizona.

In a reversal from the late-season struggles he displayed while attempting to return from the first major injury of his career, the soon-to-be 22-year-old from Providence Catholic High School in New Lenox, Ill., is looking like a bona fide prospect again.

"He's shown flashes of his old self and is really making a lot of progress," said White Sox minor league pitching coordinator Kirk Champion of Honel, who has made five appearances during Instructional League action. "You see that skip in his step again that we want to see, and he's got a smile on his face.

"It's a combination of bringing him back both mentally and physically. It's a gradual process."

Honel was the team's first-round pick (No. 16 overall) in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft. He carried a 23-18 record and a 2.95 ERA over three minor league seasons into his first full stop this season with Double-A Birmingham, not to mention 348 strikeouts, 115 walks allowed and 312 hits allowed over 359 2/3 innings.

But in an effort to pump up his fastball a bit as he made his way toward the White Sox, Honel developed a couple of mechanical flaws in his delivery. Those flaws led to the equivalent of shin splints in his pitching arm.

In three games with the Barons, Honel allowed six runs on four hits in six innings, while walking five. He tried to make a comeback with Bristol in the Appalachian League at the end of 2004, but ended up surrendering four runs on three walks in one third of an inning.

Along with a devastating knuckle-curve as an out pitch, Honel's top attribute was his high level of confidence. In fact, with the White Sox's season-long struggles at fifth starter, a healthy and effective Honel almost certainly would have had a shot to fill the void, a fact not lost on the right-hander.

Honel's fastball has shown life against Instructional League squads fielded by the Giants and the Rangers, and he delivered a solid effort against the Chinese National Team. But with basically one year of inactivity behind him, Honel has some work to do to get back into the overall mix.

"He's going about his business as a professional and carrying himself a little better," Champion said. "We want him to be ready tomorrow, but that's not the case. We hope to have him ready by February and definitely by April."

Sox stand out among minor leaguers

Honel did not make the list of top minor league prospects published recently by Baseball America, though 11 current White Sox farmhands were included. Baseball America's Minor League Top 10 Prospects list is a breakdown of the top 20 players at every minor league level. Rankings are based on analysis from Baseball America editors and writers, professional scouts and minor league managers.

Outfielder Brian Anderson, the team's No. 1 pick from 2003, ranked third in the Class A Carolina League and 11th during his stint with Birmingham, according to Baseball America. Anderson hit .298 with 31 doubles, seven triples, 12 home runs and 73 RBIs in 117 games between the two stops. He is hitting .235 with one RBI and four runs scored in five games for the Mesa Solar Sox during Arizona Fall League action.

Josh Fields, the team's first-round pick in 2004, ranked 12th in the Carolina League. He was preceded by outfielder Ryan Sweeney at No. 7 and followed by right-handed pitcher Sean Tracey at No. 17 on the list. Left-handed pitcher Arnie Munoz, who saw some action with the White Sox, ranked 18th in the Southern League, while outfielder Chris Young ranked 15th in the South Atlantic League for Class A Kannapolis.

Catcher Francisco Hernandez ranked second in the Appalachian League at a position where the White Sox definitely need development, while left-handed pitcher Gio Gonzalez ranked fifth. Left-handed pitcher Ray Liotta ranked fifth for Great Falls in the Pioneer League, marking another member of the past draft class to be recognized.

Dwayne Pollok, 23, was one of four White Sox players to be named to Baseball America's postseason All-Star teams. Pollok, who tied for the minor league lead with 38 saves, was selected to the high Class A All-Star squad. Felix Diaz (Triple-A), Hernandez (Rookie) and Liotta (Rookie) also garnered postseason honors.

Brandon McCarthy joined Anderson as one of the few players to be honored in more than one league. The right-handed pitcher ranked sixth in the Carolina League and ranked eighth in the South Atlantic League.

After winning a minor league best 17 games, striking out 202 and walking only 30 over 172 innings during stops at Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and Birmingham in the regular season, reliever Matt Smith replaced McCarthy during Fall League competition. Smith has not been scored upon in five appearances for Mesa.

McCarthy, the 17th-round pick from the 2002 First-Year Player Draft, was in Arizona during the 18-game Instructional League schedule, throwing on the side and trying to further hone his craft.

When talk centers on pitchers getting close to helping the parent team at the organizational meetings in November, McCarthy's name quickly will be brought up. That's the spot where Honel found himself prior to last season and a spot the team wants him to return to soon.

"McCarthy is in the loop," Champion said. "When you talk about 22 guys to make up the final 11, he's in that loop. Honel wants to get in that loop once again."

When would you guys say it is reasonable for honel to hit the majors. 2007? 2008? 2009?

It's not reasonable to give him any kind of timetable until he can show he can come back from this season.

He dropped so far off the radar this year, that you can't "expect" him to make the big leagues at all. That's not to say he won't, but the burden of proof is on him right now.

It's not reasonable to give him any kind of timetable until he can show he can come back from this season.

He dropped so far off the radar this year, that you can't "expect" him to make the big leagues at all.  That's not to say he won't, but the burden of proof is on him right now.

Alright thanx, i was just curious what his situation was.

I know I've talked with Jas about Honel a lot and he seemed to think he was pretty much done and I am starting to lean that way as well now, even after I rated him the best pitching prospect we have despite his injury... (shame on me). But Rex makes a great point, the burden of proof is indeed in Honel's corner and I think it would be at least 2006-2007 before he could make it, if he even does.

Ya, I've long thought Honel was over-rated by Sox fans and BA. Publications deemed him out to be an ace and I never truly saw him as that. I'll say that his knuckle curve is as good as advertised, but he still had a long ways to go.

This season was just awful for him as his velocity was gone straight to hell. Now I realize velocity isn't everything, but I'll give a timetable for him when I know he's consistently throwing 88-92.

If he doesn't get it back to that point, then I highly doubt he makes it at all.

Honel was in a way similar to magglio.

Consistant #'s year in year out with subtle improvements each year. That was the road honel was on, headed for aa, aaa 2nd half of season, and he would be a starter for us in 05. That hasnt worked out so well. I believe his failure should be attributed to the person(probably KW) who wanted him to beef up his fastball a bit. Although he has reportedly become the old honel, i really wont believe it until i either see it or see #'s. I can only hope honel can come back and if he does........

2008-

Cy Young:Brandon McCarthy

Runner Up:Kris Honel

IF only if only...........

Consistant #'s year in year out with subtle improvements each year.  That was the road honel was on, headed for aa, aaa 2nd half of season, and he would be a starter for us in 05.  That hasnt worked out so well.  I believe his failure should be attributed to the person(probably KW) who wanted him to beef up his fastball a bit.  Although he has reportedly become the old honel, i really wont believe it until i either see it or see #'s.  I can only hope honel can come back and if he does........

2008-

Nice first post, welcome to SoxTalk. :) :cheers

Consistant #'s year in year out with subtle improvements each year.  That was the road honel was on, headed for aa, aaa 2nd half of season, and he would be a starter for us in 05.  That hasnt worked out so well.  I believe his failure should be attributed to the person(probably KW) who wanted him to beef up his fastball a bit.  Although he has reportedly become the old honel, i really wont believe it until i either see it or see #'s.  I can only hope honel can come back and if he does........

2008-

Why should anybody be blamed? Honel hurt his arm. He's a pitcher. It happens.

Why should anybody be blamed?  Honel hurt his arm.  He's a pitcher.  It happens.

He hurt his arm because someone within the orginization recommended him to increase speed on his fastball. By doing that, he messed up his delivery then messing up his arm.

He hurt his arm because someone within the orginization recommended him to increase speed on his fastball.  By doing that, he messed up his delivery then messing up his arm.

Someone in the organization recommended a change that they thought would help Honel get to the majors. Now that should be a hanging offense. All organizations try and change and mold their young players as they come up through the system. Yet, this is something that the Sox organization should be blamed for. :rolly Okay!

Someone in the organization recommended a change that they thought would help Honel get to the majors.  Now that should be a hanging offense.   All organizations try and change and mold their young players as they come up through the system.  Yet, this is something that the Sox organization should be blamed for.  :rolly   Okay!

White Sox organization absolutely should be held accountable. Their recent track record of developing poor pitching prospects with weak arms is a good indication of that.

Adding velocity to a delivery is difficult with a pitcher (such as Honel) who has been pitching one way successfully his entire career. At some point, someone needs to be shouldered blame for the pure s*** our minor league has produced. Just as Williams should not escapte criticism for his coincidental streak of 4 years as GM and 4 years without a divisional tite. Another year without a playoff appearance, REGARDLESS of injuries, and there should be no question to his removal. No f***ing question. If Arizona has justification in firing Bob Brenley three years following a WS title, what ground does anyone have for holding onto Williams? Wearing his "heart on his sleeve" is not a legitimate reason.

/general rant ahead

I've said it before, and it relates just as well with our positional players, if Sweeney/Andersen/McCarthy encounter ANY sort of setback someone needs to be fired. White Sox are not at the luxury of freely spending money to acquire talent and desperate need these players to perform. As a "mid market" club the balance needs to exist between spending money and developing major league players. You all can write my 'success or firing' idea as ridiculous and claim other teams are encountering similiar problems, but everyprospect that contributes in Minnesota further exposes our troubles. If we're emphasizing an organizational philosophy comparable to Minnesota, how about developing some f***ing talent? DAMN its frustrating. Where's our Lew Ford, Justin Morneau, or heaven forbid me for asking; Johan Santana?

It would be great to spend available money on pitching without worrying about a backup the King of Busts, Joe Borchard. I hope to Jebus the remaining Borchard fans and believers have come to the realization he's terrible. Mexican League pitchers are owning him! Everything adds up when discussing our ineptness, and concluding positions unoccupied by minor league talent is another spent on bargain bin crap.

When Williams and Guillen hype these prospects out to be superstars, the pressure is placed upon these kids to perform. Fans reading the newspapers who don't have access to Soxtalk likely figure these prospects as impending superstars. Not that they aren't or don't have the capability, but none are tearing up the minors to the effect a spot on next years team is guaranteed.

As a worst case scenario, the promotion of "big three" should, at the latest, extend until 2008. Sweeney may be 19, and some will suggest "there's no rush," but at 23 years old the hype will either have subsided or been completely obliterated. Hopefully Borchard will have blossumed into a solid ballplayer by then. LOL, probably not going to happen. Well, then hopefully KW will be gone so our fan base won't have to endure another year of validating the huge signing of Borchard.

Can't comment on your whole rant because I stopped reading it after the first paragraph.

Let's not forget this was apparently not the first time that Honel has had a mysterious drop in velocity. Sometimes blame does not have to be placed. Sometimes things are just what they are.