Fan Sues Florida Marlins

DBAHO

MIAMI (AP) - A fan sued the Florida Marlins, alleging his face was bloodied by a baseball thrown into the stands by outfielder Juan Pierre during a World Series game last October.

Steve Badillo, 44, claims Pierre hit him with a ball after completing warm-up throws before the fourth inning of Game 4 of the 2003 World Series between the Marlins and the New York Yankees.

Badillo is seeking unspecified damages, The Miami Herald reported in Saturday's editions. He claims his nose and right eye were left bloodied and he was hospitalized.

Badillo's attorney said the ball was thrown overhand "with great force." Badillo was seated in the eighth row in right-center field.

Badillo said Friday he fears his vision is damaged, which would make his work in the printing-press business difficult.

A Marlins spokesman declined comment. Badillo's attorney, Donald Norton, did not return a phone call Saturday seeking comment.

Players around the league often lob baseballs to fans as souvenirs before games and between innings. Many teams post warnings alerting fans to be aware of thrown or batted balls that often fly into the stands.

Hey, whenever my vision is f***ed up, I always give it a year to clear up, then I start to really get concerned....

"Thrown with great force"...what a stupid greedy f***up.

Does Juan Pierre even have a good arm anyways. :lolhitting

A year after spending his lifes savings on his beloved Marlins World Series tickets, Mr. Badillo finds himself in a financial hole. He's just been fired, he's living off of stale bread and food. HE moved into a hole in the wall apartment. While thinking of ways to rake in some money, he started buying lottery tickets with his small Burger King paycheck. Why, oh, why did he drop out of high school? He did win $500 once on a scratch off ticket, but that was after he had already spent $1,000+ on them. "I need to get my money back from that damn baseball game", Badillo says to himself. Badillo remembers friendly outfielder of the Marlins, Juan Pierre, tossing him a throwing practice ball. Badillo, already being drunk out of his mind, didn't even see it as it hit him in the face. It only hurt for maybe an inning, and he got a free ball out of it! Badillo looks at the ball neatly displayed on his shelf, along with a few third place bowling trophies and a box with about $350 in it. Badillo reaches into his box and pulls out a nice, crisp, $10 bill. "I need booze", he says quietly, for his brain could not think of a single thing to help regain some money. Fifteen minutes later, Badillo arrives back at his apartment with a twelve-pack of Old Style. Seven cans later, Badillo looks at the foul ball and comes up with a brilliant idea. "Those f***ers should pay fer my fifteen minutes of pain!!!!!!", Badillo shouts. He grabs his box full of money, a phonebook, and starts dialing for the cheapest lawyer.

CHICAGO (AP) - A man sued a Florida Marlins fan, the Associated Press, and his internet provider, alleging his time was wasted by reading an article about a superflous litigation.

The Cheat, 25, claims he read the article on the afternoon of October 17th.  The article announced the year old lawsuit brought by a Florida Marlins fan against Juan Pierre and the Marlins organization.

Mr. Cheat is seeking unspecified damages, though they are thought to be in the $1MIL range.

Cheat's attorney said the article was a waste of both bandwidth and column-inches. 

When reached for comment on Sunday, Mr. Cheat said "I felt dumber for having read that article.  I could have been doing much better things with my time, like adding to my already-been-chewed gum collection.

"It's about time we sent a message to those litgious [explicative removed].  The only way they are going to understand that these suits, and the articles about them, are a waste of time, is to actually get slapped in the face with one."

The Florida Marlins fan, The Associated Press, and Cheat's internet provider could not be reached for comment, but are expected to file a coutersuit.

Edited by The Cheat

Aren't there warnings about this before all damn major sporting events.

The team is not responsible if your hit by a baseball, hockey puck, football, etc.

This is such f***ing bulls***.

I wasn't there when it happened, so I won't assume it is bulls***. It probably is, but think about it this way.

Balls that are hit into the stands or that go into the stands on an errant throw are not in anyone's control.

Balls thrown into the stands by an outfielder are. I have noticed this often over the last couple of years. Players think they are doing a good thing by tossing or throwing balls into the stands. However, it is a matter of time before all of this comes to an end. At some point, when an outfielder catches the third out of an inning, turns and heaves the ball 50-100 feet into the crowd, someone is going to get popped the wrong way. More than just a bump. Whether it is a direct hit, a deflection off of someone or someone gets hurt because 8 people are all fighting over it, it will happen.

I don't know how many times I have see a player in a Minor League game toss a ball seemingly harmlessly into a small crowd from just a short distance away. Sometimes 4 or 5 kids go after it. Sometimes there are adults and kids together. Most of the time, nothing ever happens. But it will only take one ball to hit someone the wrong way and affect their eyesight, or to break someone's nose, to go along with a lawyer and a judge that will end all of this. Teams will tell their players to stop doing it.

Whether this is that situation or whether this situation has merit or not, I have no clue. But watch and see, it will happen eventually.