WHat about Derek Lowe??

Wise Master Buehrle

Fox just said he is a free agent and a huge ground ball pitcher. He hasn't had the best year over in Boston, and from what it sounds like, he's developing badblood with manager Tery Francona and could probably use a new home. He's also had a pretty bad season, which could lower his value as a free agent. If we can't sign or trade for a top of the rotation guy, what do you folks think of Lowe as a possibility?

I'd like him if he came cheaply.

But I would almost put money on him ending up in Detroit next year. They will probably have a little more money to throw around up there and Lowe is a Michigan native...I think that's where he ends up.

But like I said, I would like him. He's better then most, and hell, maybe he can even teach Jon Garland a thing or two(ok, wishful thinking, I know)

I said it in the game theard for the Boston game, Lowe should be looked at for the White Sox. Lowe lead the leauge in Uneared Runs this season, and we all saw the defense from the RedSox with Ortiz at 1st and Garciaparra at SS. We know the launching ground that USCF is, and Lowe could fit in well.

We have solid IF defense as is, and mabye Vizquel comes aboard and makes it better.

Lowe could work on the SouthSide.

Ortiz played probably under 10 games at first all year.

Which guy? Lowe? He teeds to exhibit about the worst on the mound body language this side of Jeff Weaver. He lets hitters know that he's rattled. Plus, if you listen to Red Sox fans/media (not always the best source I admit) they say he's a bit cooky. My other concern is how he goes into such long funks when his stuff is much better than his performance (hence the Contreras comparison). Lowe looked really good tonight though.

Hey Punch, could you please elaborate on these mental toughness issues you believe he has?

He fails to shoulder blame upon himself - like Jon Garland.

Is a victim of 'big innings' and unrealistic expectations - like Jon Garland.

Earlier in the season Lowe called the Boston media to his locker and used the term "mental gidget" to describe the media's feelings towards himself. I ultimately agree with Punch; three potential underachieving headcases on our pitching staff is too much to endure.