Fixing the White Sox: Part Four

Chisoxfn

Sorry about the lenght. I couldn't decide to split it up into two pieces or one and decided just to go with one.

The first three of my “Fix The White Sox” articles focused on the holes of the White Sox. They gave a little insight into some potential options, but not an in-depth insight. In this piece I will quickly summarize the holes I see and then give a few options at each hole, before giving my suggestions.

Also want to make a quick note that I’ve pretty much finalized the format of this blog, minus the link section (which will grow). If anyone sees something they want to add, post a comment or shoot me an email at [email protected]

The way I see it, the Chicago White Sox have 4 key holes to fill this off-season: shortstop or 2nd base, left handed hitting outfielder, starting pitcher, and a reliever. I think it’s realistic to expect the Sox to fill all but one of these needs, although I’ll hold out that they will fill all four needs.

Shortstop/2nd Base

This is the most likely position to be filled during the off-season. The Sox front office has already hinted that they will target Omar Vizquel, but a few other options are out their as well. What is clear is that the incumbent Jose Valentin will be gone.

It appears more likely that they will add a shortstop with Willie Harris and Juan Uribe battling for 2nd base, but if the Sox opted to go with Placido Polanco who is another free agent possibility the Sox would opt with Uribe at shortstop.

Omar Vizquel – Free Agent

.291 AVG, .353 OBP, 28 2B, 3 3B, 7 HR, 59 RBI, 19 SB

Vizquel would be a stop-gap solution to the infield, but he should be a very good stop gap. He is a savvy veteran who is still regarded as a good infielder. He also has an amazing ability to use the entire field, drop bunts and move runners over. Basically Omar does what the top of the lineup failed to do this year and that’s get on base and do the little things. Earlier in the week the Indians turned down the option on Vizquel, but may still make him an offer.

Placido Polanco – Free Agent

.298 AVG, .345 OBP, 21 2B, 0 3B, 17 HR, 55 RBI, 39 K, 7 SB (126 games)

It is unclear whether the Phillies would let Polanco walk, but it wouldn’t be wise of them to let him get away without a fight. Polanco is a vastly underrated ballplayer. He needs to improve on his walk totals, but is very difficult to strike out and has surprising pop for a 2nd baseman. He doesn’t have the stolen bases of Vizquel and isn’t quite as good with the bat, but would be a good option. He is also a good defensive 2nd baseman and has the versatility to play 3rd base as well.

Todd Walker – Free Agent

.274 AVG, 19 2B, 4 3B, 15 HR, 50 RBI

Walker joined the Cubs hoping to help them reach the promised land. The problem is he was the back up second baseman and eventually got upset over the playing time. Walker will look for a starting job elsewhere and isn’t the prototypical leadoff hitter, but does fit in the two hole. He isn’t exactly what you would call an Ozzie ball player, but he is a productive second baseman, although his defense is suspect. Walker has some pop (15 HR’s) and is typically a good OBP guy (.347 career OBP).

Rafael Furcal – Atlanta Braves

.279 AVG, .344 OBP, 24 2B, 5 3B, 14 HR, 59 RBI, 58 BB, 71 K, 29 SB (6 CS)

Its unclear whether the Braves would deal Furcal, but there is no doubt that he’d fit in nicely in Chicago. Guillen is familiar with Furcal from his playing days with the Braves and Furcal’s recent run-ins with the law could push him out of Atlanta. The Braves have a need for a power bat, and that need will grow if JD Drew leaves via free agency. Both Konerko and Lee are on the trade block and each team has some guys that make sense. You could potentially see a deal with the Braves happen this offseason. The other player in Atlanta the Sox may have their eye on is reliever Juan Cruz.

Luis Castillo – Florida Marlins

.291 AVG, .373 OBP, 12 2B, 7 3B, 2 HR, 47 RBI, 75 BB, 68 K, 21 SB (4 CS)

Castillo just signed a long term deal to stay in Florida this past off-season, but he could be out of their sooner then he ever expected. Juan Pierre is emerging as the stud at the top of the lineup and the Marlins need to add some more pop to their lineup this off-season. Its doubtful that the Marlins would want to add payroll, although once again Lee and Konerko’s names could pop up. What would be more likely is a three team swap that nets one team prospects, the Marlins a young power bat, and the White Sox Luis Castillo. Don’t expect this type of deal to happen though, but there is no denying the fact that Castillo is an outstanding leadoff hitter.

My Choice:

It would come down to Omar Vizquel, Placido Polanco and Rafael Furcal for me. Since I like the idea of having both Willie Harris and Juan Uribe compete for a job at 2nd, I would opt for one of Vizquel and Furcal. If the Sox could work out a Konerko for Furcal and a reliever deal (Cruz would be awesome, but its highly unlikely the Braves would do this) then that is the choice I would favor. Furcal is just entering his prime and would give the Sox a great spark at the top of the lineup, although his OBP is lower then you’d like. The other reason I favor that trade is because it moves Konerko, instead of Lee (whom I feel is more valuable) and opens up first base for Ross Gload.

However, I have absolutely no problem going with Omar Vizquel. The veteran should get around 4-5 million via free agency and a one year deal (with an option) would work well. He is good defensively, had quite a few extra base hits, and is great on the base paths. He’d also be an asset in the clubhouse. This is the option I propose because I find it highly unlikely the Braves would give us Cruz and Furcal for Konerko and I wouldn’t part with anymore to get those two players, considering Vizquel is available.

Outfield Bat, left handed or switch hitting

The likelihood of the Sox doing something here depends. If the Sox opt to trade Carlos Lee instead of Konerko then expect someone new in the Sox outfield. Regardless of that fact they also have two in-house candidates that they will consider: Carl Everett and Ross Gload. Neither of the two should be handed right field, although left field could be an option.

Carlos Beltran - Free Agent

.267 AVG, 36 2B, 9 3B, 38 HR, 107 RBI, 92 BB, 101 K, 42 SB (3 CS)

Beltran is the best player on the free agent market and with that its quite likely that a bidding war will occur. The Yanks have given all indications that they will be involved and the Northsiders, Angels, Red Sox and White Sox have also been rumored to be interested. He told Houston that he wants everyone on the Astros brought back for him to resign and that doesn’t appear likely. Beltran is going to command a lot of money, but he deserves it. The guy is quite possibly the next super-star in baseball and would be worth the investment.

J.D. Drew – Free Agent

.305 AVG, .436 OBP, 28 2B, 8 3B, 31 HR, 93 RBI, 118 BB, 116 K, 12 SB (3 CS)

J.D. has had an injury riddled past, but broke out in 2004 with the Braves. The right fielder is just entering his prime and if his health troubles are in his past he’s emerging as one of the best outfielders in baseball. The Braves will try to resign Drew, but if the demands get too high they’ll likely drop out of the running and look at other options. Drew can hit for power, is good defensively, and has good speed. He also has a good eye.

Lance Berkman – Free Agent

.316 AVG, .450 OBP, 40 2B, 3 3B, 30 HR, 106 RBI, 127 BB, 101 K, 9 SB (7 CS)

The Texas native is an unlikely candidate to leave Houston, especially with the Astros playing very well. As Cheat noted, they also play in the largest undisputed market (with New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago all being split markets: Anaheim/LA, NYM/NYY, CHC/CHW) which means they can afford to up the payroll. They also second baseman Jeff Kent off the books. Berkman is a solid defensive outfielder who can play all 3 outfield positions and an all star at the plate. Berkman hits for average, power and draws walks.

Steve Finley – Free Agent

.271 AVG, .333 OBP, 28 2B, 1 3B, 36 HR, 94 RBI, 61 BB, 82 K, 9 SB (7 CS)

Finley isn’t coming to Chicago, but he is a good player that’s on the market. The 39 year old outfielder doesn’t have the range he once had, but he has stayed in tremendous shape and is still an above average defensive outfielder. Offensively he has loads of power and would fit into the 2 hole nicely, despite a low OBP. He can handle the bat well and would fit into Ozzie’s style (minus stolen bases).

My Pick:

I don’t anticipate the White Sox acquiring an outfielder via trade, especially with the crop on the FA market. The Sox rarely get into bidding wars and most of these guys will have multiple suitors. The most likely scenario is the Sox sticking with Gload/Everett, but the increasing news reports seem to at least hint at the Sox going after a big name player. Beltran tops that list and I think he would give an instant boost to an already good Sox offense. He also would bring “star power” to Chicago, which new marketing guru Brooks Boyer should be able to turn into increased ticket sales. Beltran will also bring wins, speed, power, and the potential for a hall of fame career. If your going to spend 14-16 million a year on the player, he’s the type of player it should be.

Starting Pitching

This off-season features what appears to be a strong free agent market. Notice I used the word appear, because pretty much all of these pitchers have some question-marks. From Pedro Martinez to Matt Clement. My theory is the Sox are going to spend money on two bats and a reliever, meaning they’ll go on the cheap when it comes to starting pitching and acquire it via trade (with Konerko/Lee on the market).

However, if they opt to go with Everett/Gload in the outfield and not spend money on offense, then they will potentially have the ability to go after a free agent starter.

Carl Pavano – Free Agent

18-8, 3.00 ERA, 222.1 INN, 212 H, 16 HR, 49 BB, 139 K

I’m not even going to put Pedro Martinez on the list because I advice completely against the signing of him. While he’s one of the best pitchers in baseball, a long term deal would be completely foolish for a team that has to be smart with its money. Pavano is the next best option, but he has some question marks as well. All signs appear to him getting a big money offer from New York and/or Boston and the question is whether he’s really an ace. He could get as much as 12 million a year and that’s a lot to give a guy whose put up one good year. He also has an injury riddled past and has truly never proven himself as an “ace”.

Matt Clement – Free Agent

9-13, 3.68 ERA, 181 INN, 155 H, 23 HR, 77 BB, 190 K

It appears likely that the Cubs will let Clement walk. For the early part of the season Clement was the ace of the Cubs. He pitched tremendously most of the year, before falling apart down the stretch. It is unclear whether Clement was suffering from an injury or if he just lost his release point on the slider (which leads to him throwing a flat slider). Clement has great stuff and is a ground ball pitcher, which will help him in the Coors Field of the American League. Clement has never been an ace, but any given night he can go out and pitch an amazing game, the key with him is consistency.

Brad Radke – Free Agent

11-8, 3.48 ERA, 219.2 INN, 229 H, 23 HR, 26 BB, 143 K

Signing Brad Radke would be like a double winner. First off you get a very good, professional pitcher. Secondly, you take away the Twins #2 starter so your opponent gets weaker while you get stronger. Radke isn’t overpowering, but he knows how to pitch.

Jon Lieber – Team Option (8 Mill)

14-8, 4.33 ERA, 176.2 INN, 216 H, 20 HR, 18 BB, 102 K

Lieber is a very good pitcher. He should also be 100% by the start of the season, meaning you’ll get an even better version of the man who pitched for the Yanks this year. Lieber throws strikes, gives you innings, and wins games. In the event that the Yanks go another direction, the Sox should give Lieber a good look.

Jerome Williams – San Francisco

10-7, 4.24 ERA, 129.1 INN, 123 H, 14 HR, 44 BB, 80 K

Williams, 22, is one of the better young pitchers in all of baseball. In his two years at the major league level, the young right hander is 17-12 with a 3.77 ERA in 260.1 innings. Williams has good command of his fastball and compliments it with a nice slider and a developing changeup. He can get it into the mid 90’s, but typically pitches in the low 90’s. He’s affordable and in the Giants long term plans, but its no secret that they need some protection for Bonds and both Lee and Konerko could fit the role.

Joel Pineiro – Seattle

6-11, 4.67 ERA, 140.2 INN, 144 H, 21 HR, 43 BB, 111 K

Pineiro, 26, was expected to be the Mariners ace, along with Moyer, but ended up struggling before getting placed on the disabled list in July with an elbow injury. Pineiro throws a sharp curveball for strikes, which makes his fastball look better. Pineiro has benefited from pitching in Seattle, but is a capable #3 and could be more. This was Pineiro’s worse season. The Mariners had showed interest in Lee this past off-season and could definitely show interest in him again. Its no secret they want to add some pop to the line-up and he’d fit the bill.

My Choice: Joel Pineiro or Jerome Williams

I don’t think any of the free agent pitchers are worth the amount of money they’ll get on the FA market. Many will get #1/#2 money while most have some serious questions surrounding them. In regards to Pineiro/Williams, your getting an affordable starter who should continue to grow, possibly into that #1/#2 guy. Pineiro could easily slide in as a #3, moving Contreras and Garland down in the rotation, while Williams would fit in as a 5. Both have promising careers ahead of them and are already effective major league pitchers.

Bullpen

The White Sox bullpen struggled this past season. Shingo Takatsu emerged as their closer while Marte regressed as a setup man. However, Marte is fully capable of rebounding next year and the Sox appear interested in bringing another quality reliever. This free agent would either jump into the closers role, with Shingo sharing set up duties with Marte or would step in as a set up man.

Troy Percival – Free Agent

2-3, 33 SV, 2.90 ERA, 49.2 INN, 43 H, 7 HR, 19 BB, 33 K

Percival had a down first half of the season with the Angels. After a brief stint on the DL, Percy came out like the Percy of old, absolutely dominating down the stretch. The veteran closer converted 20 of 21 save opportunities while posting an awesome 1.74 ERA. He’s definitely on the downside of his career, but he’s still more then capable of being a quality closer and would fit in nicely on the south side.

Armando Benitez – Free Agent

2-2, 47 SV (4 BS), 1.29 ERA, 69.2 INN, 36 H, 6 HR, 21 BB, 62 K

Benitez is the stud of the closer market and should command big bucks. His most likely destination is the north end of Chicago. However, he would definitely fit in nicely with the Sox too, but its unlikely to happen. Benitez uses a devastating fastball and was downright nasty with the Marlins this season. His struggles in New York were well documented and very much exaggerated. There is no denying that his 2003 season was mediocre, but prior to that Benitez had been consistently good, not great.

Scott Williamson – Free Agent

0-1, 3 HLD, 1 SV, 1.26 ERA, 28.2 INN, 11 H, 18 BB, 28 K

Williamson was having a strong 2004 campaign before suffering a season ending arm injury. However, he was activated from the disabled list at the end of the season and should be 100% by the start of the season. He’s been one of the better set-up men in baseball over the past few years and the Sox had him acquired in the Nomar/Magglio swap this past off-season.

Felix Rodriguez – NO LONGER AVAILABLE VIA FREE AGENCY

5-8, 1 SV (3 BS), 3.29 ERA, 65.2 INN, 61 H, 29 BB, 59 K

Rodriguez has pitched well as a set-up man over a few years. He was dealt to Philly at the deadline and had an up and down season, but has quality stuff and is still a quality reliever. Should be an affordable reliever whose numbers should be better next year. He’s a solid off-speed pitch away from being one of the best set up men in baseball, but that’s been the case for a number of seasons now.

Note: Felix Rodriguez accepted his player option and will remain in Philedelphia, barring a trade.

My Choice: Percival or Williamson

Troy Percival would provide a tremendous boost to the Sox bullpen. Him and Shingo would be polar opposites and should make for a dominate 8th/9th inning punch with Marte in the 7th. In a sense the Sox could turn things into a 6 inning game, especially if Marte reverts to his form from the previous season. If Percivals price is too high, Williamson would be valuable set up men for the Sox. If Williamson is healthy you have to look at him. He’s a dominate reliever that could step in and close if Shingo faltered.

Now lets look at the starting lineup:

Omar Vizquel – SS

Aaron Rowand - RF

Carlos Beltran – CF

Frank Thomas – DH

Paul Konerko/Carlos Lee – 1B/LF

Ross Gload/Carl Everett – LF or 1B

Joe Crede – 3B

Ben Davis/Jamie Burke – C

Willie Harris – 2B

Super Utility Man: Juan Uribe

Rotation:

Mark Buehrle

Freddy Garcia

Joel Pineiro

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland

Bullpen:

Troy Percival

Shingo Takatsu

Damaso Marte

Cliff Politte

Neal Cotts

In House Candidates (Adkins/Munoz/Diaz/Bajenaru)

The lineup has a much better lefty/righty balance while the pitching staff has five formidable pitchers. You also have two good top of the order guys, although Rowand isn’t a prototypical two hole hitter. The back of the lineup is a little weak, but the emergence of Harris or Crede could turn that around.

The bullpen would be a strength, especially if Cotts can develop like I think he can. It definitely be a fun team to watch.

Jason, Jerome Williams would likely cost a lot more than you may be anticipating. Are you willing to do Konerko/Lee for Williams and a minor leaguer? That's probably what I would be thinking if I'm the Giants, considering this guy's age and stats.

Fixing the part on Rodriguez. When I wrote that part his option hadn't yet been picked up.

I dunno, i know you don't think Lee/Konerko don't have as much value as I think. I know one thing, I value Lee higher then Konerko. However, I don't know if the Giants value Lee over Konerko since Bonds plays left field (same as Lee), while they will have an opening at first base.

The Giants GM has never been shy about giving up his pitching. Afterall, he gave up Ainsworth who was thought of on a similar level as Williams (although a bit older) and others to Bmore for half a season of Ponson.

The lineup would be roughly 81.25 million. So consider it a pretty unlikely option. However, it would be about 7 million cheaper if you opt for Jerome Williams and Scott Williamson. That figure would give the Sox a 74 mill payroll. This price did have some estimates. For those curious, Rowand was at 1.25, Garland at 3 mill, and Beltran at 16 mill. Percival was figured at 4 mill.

Meaning Rotation:

Buehrle

Garcia

Contreras

Garland

Williams

Bullpen:

Shingo

Williamson

Marte

Politte

Cotts

I dunno, i know you don't think Lee/Konerko don't have as much value as I think.  I know one thing, I value Lee higher then Konerko.  However, I don't know if the Giants value Lee over Konerko since Bonds plays left field (same as Lee), while they will have an opening at first base. 

The Giants GM has never been shy about giving up his pitching.  Afterall, he gave up Ainsworth who was thought of on a similar level as Williams (although a bit older) and others to Bmore for half a season of Ponson.

22 year olds that have had 2 good seasons already in the majors don't grow on trees. Konerko would be more proven, thus they would be close to equal.

And what did Ainsworth do this season? Nothing. He is not near as valuable as Williams.

Edited by danman31

22 year olds that have had 2 good seasons already in the majors don't grow on trees. Konerko would be more proven, thus they would be close to equal.

And what did Ainsworth do this season? Nothing. He is not near as valuable as Williams.

At the time of the trade he was considered to be very valuable. He had 11 starts on the year with a sub 4 ERA. He was older so I won't disagree with ya on that. And I'm not saying he was as valuable. They also got Damian Moss and another good minor leaguer.

Moss of course was a dissapointment and Ainsworth got hurt this year. Not saying it would happen but I think the aspects are there and that it could be considered a possibility.

SF will also have Jesse Foppert back (out with Tommy John and was their top prospect) and Noah Lowery (I think thats his name) is another youngster who made a good impact at the majors this year.

Found this as well.

The White Sox, confident that RHP Jason Grilli can be their fifth starter, are more likely to upgrade their lineup than their starting pitching.

G.M. Ken Williams says that he would be satisfied with Juan Uribe at short and Willie Harris at second, but adds, "I've got more variables on the board than I've had in the last four years."

Indians free-agent SS Omar Vizquel is an option — Vizquel, like White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen — is Venezuelan. Both the Mariners and Giants have expressed consistent interest in Vizquel in the past.

The same Ken Rosenthal who said Polanco had an .860 obp after the break?? :P Well I think we can find something that everyone on soxtalk can agree with, NO JASON GRILLI AS THE 5TH STARTER NEXT YEAR!!!!

What about Cal Eldred? ;)

That would be a nice team, but anything over 75M is probably unrealistic.

I would love to see Beltran in a Sox uniform, but I highly doubt that it will happen, especially since the Sox are going against all the big boys. I really hope that the Sox make a run at Finley(poormans Beltran), although I hear that he likes the west coast. I wonder if the Sox might go after Burnitz if his option isn't picked up. I am not a huge Burnitz fan, but he could be a decent option in RF for the right price(lefty bat).

I would love to see the Sox put together a deal for Furcal, but there is no way that Atlanta will trade Cruz, especially Furcal AND Cruz for Konerko. I think that Atlanta is going to give LaRoche a shot at 1B, might not be interested in Konerko. They will try everything to resign Drew, with Thomas playing LF, so it is not likely that they will be interested in Lee. I do think that the Braves might be interested in Garland, especially if they let Ortiz walk and resign Drew(look for a cheap starter). They might be interested in a package of Garland and Uribe for Furcal(if they trust either Giles or Thomas leading off), but they will open a hole in the Sox rotation, so that might be a tough deal for the Sox(especially if Furcal walks after the 2005 season).

Williams would be a great addition, but we have to be realistic. Put yourself in SF shoes(or pretend that Williams is on the Sox). Would you trade a 22 year old pitcher, with an electric arm, a career 17-12 record, a career 3.77 ERA, very good peripherals, 3+ years before FA, and who is making the minimum? Williams is pretty much untouchable unless you offer SF a deal that can't refuse(Lee or Konerko isn't a deal that can't refuse).

You might be onto something with Pinero. He could be available, although I think Seattle is trying to move Meche and not Pinero. I am not sure what direction Seattle is heading for. If they are planning on rebuilding, than I really doubt they will trade Pinero, and I don't think they would be interested in Lee or Konerko. If they are going to try and retool, than they might have some interest. Seattle might have some interest in Crede if they don't sign a FA 3B(I hear they will go after Glaus). If the Sox could put together a package around Crede for Pinero, turn around and sign Koskie(my 1st choice), Hillenbrand, or Randa, than the Sox could improve the staff without creating another hole.

I have a hunch that Baltimore and the Sox will make a trade this offseason. They seem to be perfect trade partners. Baltimore is looking for another big bat and has money to spend, while the Sox are looking for a leadoff/middle infielder(Roberts/Hairston), a righty reliever(Julio), and a lefty bat(Gibbons). The making for a big deal is in place.

On a side note, I would like to see the Sox upgrade at catcher. I am not sure of Davis's contract status, but I wouldn't mind non-tendering him(highly unlikely since KW traded for him). I am not solid on Davis as an everyday catcher, and there are a couple of solid, cheap, veteran catching options(Zaun, DMiller, Mattheny).

2 things,

1)where did you find that?

2)  :fyou  KW

Oh man, if that quote is true...teamed with the stuff they said on Timo...we might as well just kiss the season goodbye, lol.

I'm hoping its just KW trying to instill confidence in Grilli. Plus, you gotta spin things early, that way if the Sox fail to add a pitcher he will do his best to tell us that things will be fine. When we all know Grilli isn't the answer to the 5th spot. Maybe he'll shock the world, but I'm not in the mood of finding out at the start of the season.

Also, Berkman's not a free agent until after the 2005 season.

You are correct.

''The Astros have club options on Hidalgo, Kent and Biggio. But Berkman, who agreed to a three-year deal after the 2001 season, has no such option. Berkman is still in the arbitration-eligible window, and under club control until after the 2005 season.''

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/hou/news/hou...4news&fext=.jsp

I'm confused on Berkman now. I've seen him listed as a FA by Gammons in an older piece. Don't have the link on me and then on another random FA list site (I just did a google or something) and then some others don't mention him as one.

By the bat, I mean small ball. I'm not saying Polanco isn't good as he obviously has great bat control. Thats evident by the minimal strikeouts and high average. I was referring to Vizquels' uncanny ability to use all parts of the field, drop bunts, essentially do the little things.

In all fairness I haven't seen Polanco play to make comparisons on his ability to do that.

You are correct.

''The Astros have club options on Hidalgo, Kent and Biggio. But Berkman, who agreed to a three-year deal after the 2001 season, has no such option. Berkman is still in the arbitration-eligible window, and under club control until after the 2005 season.''

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/hou/news/hou...4news&fext=.jsp

Oh ok, that clears things up. I saw his contract was up, but I guess its up but he's still in his arbitration window, meaning the Astros can keep him but he'll either go to Arb or sign another long term deal.

Makes sense now.

I'm confused on Berkman now.  I've seen him listed as a FA by Gammons in an older piece.  Don't have the link on me and then on another random FA list site (I just did a google or something) and then some others don't mention him as one.

By the bat, I mean small ball.  I'm not saying Polanco isn't good as he obviously has great bat control.  Thats evident by the minimal strikeouts and high average. I was referring to Vizquels' uncanny ability to use all parts of the field, drop bunts, essentially do the little things.

In all fairness I haven't seen Polanco play to make comparisons on his ability to do that.

I have seen 3 or 4 different free agent lists on verious sites and none of them say he is a free agent. Just arbitration eligible.