the insight of Tim McCarver

That guy is hilarious, two quotes from Saturday:

Yankees batting, Jeter on 1st, 3-1 pitch: 'you know a 3-1 count is not a good count to run on, so you won't see Jeter running on this pitch'.

strike 2, 3-2 pitch

'Now that the count is 3-2 you WILL see Jeter running with the pitch'

Someone on the Red-Sox doubled into the right field corner. McCarver: "You know if Sheffield let's that ball get past him, that would have turned into a TRIPLE".

That guy is hilarious, two quotes from Saturday:

Yankees batting, Jeter on 1st, 3-1 pitch: 'you know a 3-1 count is not a good count to run on, so you won't see Jeter running on this pitch'.

strike 2, 3-2 pitch

'Now that the count is 3-2 you WILL see Jeter running with the pitch'

Someone on the Red-Sox doubled into the right field corner.  McCarver: "You know if Sheffield let's that ball get past him, that would have turned into a TRIPLE".

And he thinks he's a genius too.

Someone on the Red-Sox doubled into the right field corner. McCarver: "You know if Sheffield let's that ball get past him, that would have turned into a TRIPLE".

OR EVEN A HOME RUN!!!! :bang

That is SOLID analysis - sure, an 8-year-old could tell you the same things, but still, it's SOLID!!!! :D

Did anyone hear McCarver talk for a minute or two about how he called Theo Epstein Cleo?  God, if he's really been this bad for this long, theres hope for me being a broadcaster some day.

We all do when you gotta listen to McCarver. I don't know why he's doing the Yankee games in Postseason when he's the Yanks regular season Color man. I mean Bias at it's best.

Rick Sutcliffe blows too, He's sooo fricken boring and all he does is try and put the Yanks as Gods. What a blow wad. I mean there's better broadcasters than that all around.

Anybody imagine a booth of Chip and McCarver... :headshake

Jeez he only played 21 seasons in the majors, I guess he doesn't know anything...  :huh

I also thought Leiter has become really good in the booth in a short amount of time.

It's not that he doesn't know anything. Mostly the fact he constantly gets names wrong and facts. That is what bugs me.

I agree about leiter, we know what he will be doing when he retires.

Jeez he only played 21 seasons in the majors, I guess he doesn't know anything...  :huh

I also thought Leiter has become really good in the booth in a short amount of time.

See, that's just it, 21 years in the bigs and he has no insight. He's 'Captain Obvious'. I've been listening to him more and more closely and he brings nothing to the table, no insight, nothing.

Ok I've been defending him in this thread but that "walks as good as a homerun" to lead off the 9th inning was just ridiculous.  I have no way to defend that.  McCarver writes better than he announces, that's all I'll say.

He must have a ghost writer.

Ok I've been defending him in this thread but that "walks as good as a homerun" to lead off the 9th inning was just ridiculous.  I have no way to defend that.  McCarver writes better than he announces, that's all I'll say.

I understand the comment and the point he was trying to make. It wasn't that far off. A solo HR makes the game 4-3. A walk puts the tying run at the plate. Either way, the second batter has to score as well as the first, regardless of how it happens.

As someone pointed out on another board, the only difference is that with a walk, a ground ball could net you two outs rather than one if the bases are empty.

The comment sounded goofy, but the point he was trying to make is valid.

I understand the comment and the point he was trying to make.  It wasn't that far off.  A solo HR makes the game 4-3.  A walk puts the tying run at the plate.  Either way, the second batter has to score as well as the first, regardless of how it happens.

As someone pointed out on another board, the only difference is that with a walk, a ground ball could net you two outs rather than one if the bases are empty.

The comment sounded goofy, but the point he was trying to make is valid.

and that's potentially a very big distinction.