Would anyone give a minor league contract to ELO?

AngelasDaddy0427

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a great suggestion...First name - Carl.  Last name - Pavano.  Making Garland the fifth starter.  Problem solved.  No to Loaiza.  Let him hook on with Brewers or Orioles.  Someone desperate for pitching.

I actually like your idea alot more then mine.

However what i'm afraid of is that we are going to cheap out and end up with Jason Grilli as our 5th starter {Shudder}

In that case then even Esty is an improvement.

Besides i'm not so sure he would be as lazy this time around.

We could give him a minor league deal for just one year, with no option for a second year. He would have to know that it's his last chance to accomplish something in his career and make some decent money. Plus we'd be giving him the league minimum. If he didn't pan out we just drop him.

I sure as hell hope not. Geez, that will be the answer to the starting rotation?? Loiaza again? More of the same as usual.

No, I don't think he would be the "answer" to the starting rotation. As I have already indicated the Sox are giving the appearance that they are going after a vet ace to add to the rotation. I don't see an issue with Loaiza in long relief.

No, I don't think he would be the "answer" to the starting rotation. As I have already indicated the Sox are giving the appearance that they are going after a vet ace to add to the rotation. I don't see an issue with Loaiza in long relief.

If they use him in a relief role, it wouldn't be as terrible. He can't be any worse than Thriller was. :huh I don't want to see him as a starter again though...atleast not for this team anyway.

This was on the mailbag section of Whitesox.com

Do you think the Sox should go after Estaban Loaiza as maybe a fourth or fifth starter? What do you think his market value is?

-- Anwar

To answer the first part of your question, simply put: No. While Loaiza was a good guy and had a Cy Young caliber year in 2003 that nobody expected or could have come close to predicting, the results in 2004 weren't close to the same. His fastball was consistently down anywhere from four to six miles per hour (aside from his performance at the All-Star Game), which could be a sign of the wear and tear from the huge amount of cut fastballs he has thrown over the past two seasons.

Loaiza didn't want to leave the White Sox, and in fact, earlier in the year, told me that he hoped a free agent deal would be worked out on the South Side after all the contractual issues were settled with Ordonez. A great deal has changed since then. Loaiza's 1-2 record and 8.50 ERA with the Yankees all but assured the right-hander of not going back to New York, and it probably took him out of the $7 or $8 million per year range of which he had hoped.

That said, if Loaiza was willing to come back for a lower salary, with a great deal of incentives built in, he wouldn't be a terrible risk. But it sounds as if Williams wants a pitcher for the top of the rotation, not the back end, which would be a plan that does not include Loaiza.

IS THERE ANY FORMER WHITE SOX PLAYER SOME OF YOU POSTERS DONT WANT BACK??? WHY DO WE CONTINUE TO LIVE IN THE PAST? :angry:

Ventura, Loaiza, Durham, when is it gonna stop????

I don't want Loaiza back, what for? So he can go 5 innings and give up a minimum of five runs every start? NO THANKS Lets be a little more imaginative people...

And he is gonna be offered more than a minor league contract, hes holds the Mexican Pitching record. :rolly

I know it's only a matter of time before someone suggested it so it might as well be me.

Would anyone give him a minor league contract and have him go after the 5th Starters job? I'm talking league minimum here. He's got to be better then Grilli at least.

NO! :nono

If a minor league deal, sure.

But didnt Guillen already say he had 4 guys on his team that wouldn't play like he wanted them to, and that they aren't here anymore? :unsure: I imagine Loaiza was one of them.

BTW, I get so sick of seeing his name spelled incorrectly. Loiza, Loazia, Loiaza (most common.) Just had to get that off of my chest.

lg6rws21gry.jpg

lg6hws21wht.jpg

As I believe Steff said, I don't see anything wrong with bringing him back with a minor-league deal as a long reliever. Especially after his performance last night.

But as a starter? No. Unless they bring in a top-flight guy to go along with him. Then I would consider Loaiza as a #5.

If a minor league deal, sure.

But didnt Guillen already say he had 4 guys on his team that wouldn't play like he wanted them to, and that they aren't here anymore?  :unsure: I imagine Loaiza was one of them.

BTW, I get so sick of seeing his name spelled incorrectly. Loiza, Loazia, Loiaza (most common.) Just had to get that off of my chest.

lg6rws21gry.jpg

lg6hws21wht.jpg

Oh, those jerseys are killing me.

But didnt Guillen already say he had 4 guys on his team that wouldn't play like he wanted them to, and that they aren't here anymore?  :unsure: I imagine Loaiza was one of them.

They appeared fine in Detroit. I don't think he was one of the players he had issue with.

Here are a list of guys I would sign to a minor league contract...that is, If I had the money to own a major league baseball team.

The Hamburglar

hamburglar1.jpg

Alf

alf_1.jpg

Ralph Nader

aa-nader.jpg

ya know?... Guys that would people in the seats...guys that could make a difference.

The Loaiza expierence is over on the South Side. Anyway, I think that bridge is burned is it not?