Would anyone give a minor league contract to ELO?

AngelasDaddy0427

As steff suggested earlier in the thread, I'd be very intrigued by having E-lo come out of the pen...

He faded down the stretch in '03.

He was terrible after May in '04

He is incredible on his career in April. (18-3, 2.98ERA)

Sounds to me like a guy who wears down. If we keep him in the pen and give him fewer innings, I have a feeling he would be able to put up some great numbers for us once again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's only a matter of time before someone suggested it so it might as well be me.

Would anyone give him a minor league contract and have him go after the 5th Starters job? I'm talking league minimum here. He's got to be better then Grilli at least.

My guess is the Yankees will attempt to resign Esteban. If they don't I would offer him a major league contract and not a minor league contract. He deserves it.

i'd take Esty as the four or five starter.

I was impressed with his velocity and movement Monday night.

Joe Morgan was raving about him on the radio.

maybe he had a tired arm.

He is TONS better than Jason Grilli as a fifth starter.

I do not think grilli has starter stuff but i think in a full year he could have a 5.70 era or less.

No to Esty as a starter. He's too lazy. However, if he would agree to a bullpen position, I can actaully see him being effective in a closers role. He can "bring it" when he wants to, and with that cutter as his other out pitch, he can be a stud. If he knows he only has to hump it for an inning or two, he could be awesome. The guy is no dummy on the mound and knows how to pitch.

No to Esty as a starter.  He's too lazy.  However, if he would agree to a bullpen position, I can actaully see him being effective in a closers role.  He can "bring it" when he wants to, and with that cutter as his other out pitch, he can be a stud.  If he knows he only has to hump it for an inning or two, he could be awesome.  The guy is no dummy on the mound and knows how to pitch.

I hadn't even considered him as a potential closer. That idea is crazy enough that it could actually work.

You all are crazy if you don't want Loaiza as a 5th starter. He may not be that good anymore, but I can't think of many teams with a great 5th starter. I think he would be dependable for 5-6 innings per night and keep us in a lot of games, which is what we have lacked from a 5th starter for a while now. I'll still take him over Judy Garland. My plan would be to sign a 2nd or 3rd starter and line the rotation like this (if we don't get Loz, which we most likely will not).

#1 - Buehrle

#2 - Garcia

#3 - FA Signing

#4 - Contreras

#5 - Garland

Eckersly did it.  Who would have thought he'd be that successful.  Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

I'm actually thinking more of the effect Rivera *may* have had on him(though I doubt he really did), and the fact that his cutter could be very effective as the closer.

I wouldn't mind seeing if he can do that for us...hell, to win, you have to take risks, right?

I'm actually thinking more of the effect Rivera *may* have had on him(though I doubt he really did), and the fact that his cutter could be very effective as the closer.

I wouldn't mind seeing if he can do that for us...hell, to win, you have to take risks, right?

I thought I'd get a lot of reaction from that idea. Things like "Are you crazy?" and :dips*** :lol: