Did I miss something?

Rex Hudler

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't ya think MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS should already know the appropriate time to attempt to steal a base.. ???

Geesus effing crisp.. put some effing blame on the damn players.  :angry:

Great move... Tim Raines.. a great move.  :puke

Your kidding right? Look at half the players we bring up. Look at Crede and Borchard's swings... they should have known how to swing a bat before they got up here. Heck Aaron's swing was terrible when he got here. None of these kids know how to bunt...

It is more than just Willie.

Tim Raines.. no.

Now bring in Henderson. That would show me they mean business and not just making cosmetic changes to the staff. What's next... Albert at hitting coach..??

What is the problem with Raines? In all honesty, I don't see the 1B coach as a particularly important hire in the first place, but unless I am reading too much into your words I am sensing you have a problem with him.

Fess up!

Your kidding right?  Look at half the players we bring up.  Look at Crede and Borchard's swings... they should have known how to swing a bat before they got up here.  Heck Aaron's swing was terrible when he got here.  None of these kids know how to bunt...

It is more than just Willie.

No.. I'm not kidding. Which is why I also think Joe and Joe shouldn't be starters either. :ph34r:

What is the problem with Raines?  In all honesty, I don't see the 1B coach as a particularly important hire in the first place, but unless I am reading too much into your words I am sensing you have a problem with him.

Fess up!

Hey Rex for some reason your post went up twice... I just deleted the 2nd one.

What is the problem with Raines?  In all honesty, I don't see the 1B coach as a particularly important hire in the first place, but unless I am reading too much into your words I am sensing you have a problem with him.

Fess up!

Hold on.... I got something on/up/in my nose...

:ph34r:

No.. I'm not kidding. Which is why I also think Joe and Joe shouldn't be starters either. :ph34r:

It is an epidemic all over the league. I don't know if it is crappy coaching the minors, bad attitudes out of the players, rushing players to the majors, or some combo there of, but it happens way more than it used to. This team is devoid of many little league basic fundementals.

Why all the hate for Willie? Holy hell, he showed me some serious potential this year, what with five for five games and a strong start to the season. And not to mention, this is just his FIRST full season in the majors. Not every player is Albert Pujoles who shines right away, case in point, Aaron Rowand. Give the damn kid another year.

Hold on.... I got something on/up/in my nose...

:ph34r:

What does Raines doing Coke in the 80's (when apparently half the Major Leagues were doing it) have anything to do with his ability to be a Major League coach in 2005? Why would Rickey Henderson be any better?

Just so you know, I could give a s*** either way, but I would like to hear your arguments. :)

What led Montreal Expos outfielder Tim Raines to develop the headfirst slide which made him such a fearsome threat during the 1980s? Reportedly, he didn't want to lose the cocaine which he had stashed in his back pocket.

Maybe Willie could use this technique...

:P>

The answer spent the last half of the season in Chicago. Robbie Alomar is the obvious choice at second. Sign Vizquel and move Uribe to third for a struggling Joe Crede and there you have it.

I hope you guys realize that I didn't feel I needed the green to add emphasis.

Steff, do you scare little kids at the ballpark? From what I've read from you and other postings, if I was 5 I'd yell "AHHHH CRAZY WOMAN!!!" whenever I saw you. :D That's what Jason tells me about you anyways. :P

Edited by Heads22

Where we need somebody who can teach base-stealing -- and bunting and hitting the cut off man and lining up throws and hitting behind the runner and working the count -- is in the minor leagues.

There's not much time for teaching in the big leagues -- and guys who are starting to get paid aren't as likely to listen. The White Sox need better instructors in AA ball and below.

A new first base coach isn't going to help much, if any.

Hell, how many of us can name the first base coach for the Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals or Astros.

Give us some better players -- and then I'll get excited.

The answer spent the last half of the season in Chicago. Robbie Alomar is the obvious choice at second. Sign Vizquel and move Uribe to third for a struggling Joe Crede and there you have it.

I hope you guys realize that I didn't feel I needed the green to add emphasis.

Steff, do you scare little kids at the ballpark? From what I've read from you and other postings, if I was 5 I'd yell "AHHHH CRAZY WOMAN!!!" whenever I saw you. :D That's what Jason tells me about you anyways. :P

Vizquel would not sign to play alongside Alomar. They aren't the best of friends..

And if that is the case, it will be a long season.  Willie Harris is flat out terrible and it will make me sick to go into another season with him as a starter.  The guy cannot play.  I am tired of hearing he is fast.  He can't hit.  Just because you can't teach speed doesn't mean that we should keep trying Harris.  There was all of this raving about his speed and he didn't even steal 20 bases.  Wake up KW and realize that Willie Harris is a waste of White Sox money.

I'm not comparing the two in ability, but Aaron Rowand, before this season, was constantly getting jerked around, never getting a good look as a starter. It's no different than Harris. Guillen screwed up this season with him by not keeping him out there when he was heating up. Instead he benched him and that was the end of Harris.

If Harris is bad, fine, but at least give him the chance to prove it. Had Guillen of done that this season, we would know for sure right now and we wouldn't have any debate. Good or bad, Harris wasn't given a legit chance this season.

Where we need somebody who can teach base-stealing -- and bunting and hitting the cut off man and lining up throws and hitting behind the runner and working the count -- is in the minor leagues.

There's not much time for teaching in the big leagues -- and guys who are starting to get paid aren't as likely to listen. The White Sox need better instructors in AA ball and below.

A new first base coach isn't going to help much, if any.

Hell, how many of us can name the first base coach for the Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals or Astros.

Give us some better players -- and then I'll get excited.

Unfortunately there isn't much time to teach in the Minor Leagues either. Their spring training is much shorter than MLB Spring Training. They play 140 games in 152 or 153 days, so there isn't a lot of time to work on things. They do fundamental drills before BP sometimes, but you can't wear guys out when they are playing every day.

A note about spring training.....

The Sox have their 40-man roster in camp as well as non-roster invitees, totalling usually around 55-60 players. When Minor League camp starts, many of them are still up with the big club in camp. Even after they are sent down to minor league camp, they are often pulled back up a few times a week to fill in with the big club.

This presents a problem for several reasons. Because so many guys are in big league camp, minor leaguers are correspondingly moved up a level. So many of the guys playing in the AAA games will be in AA for the season and so on. What happens is that when all of it shakes out, often, Minor League teams have a week or less with their full team to work on things before they break camp to begin their own season. Not all instruction is individually oriented, so this makes it harder and gives teams less instruction time overall.

Also, when players are in big league camp or when they are pulled up to the big club for a day, the training regimen is much different. Minor League camp is very organized and is a long day. Players come in early to get individual work, then they do team drills, play a game and then do their conditioning work. Once the MLB teams are playing games, most of that instruction stops. So if a Brian Anderson gets called to play with the big club twice a week, that is two days of instruction and drills he is missing, because all he has to do is report for BP and the game with the big club.

I'm not comparing the two in ability, but Aaron Rowand, before this season, was constantly getting jerked around, never getting a good look as a starter. It's no different than Harris. Guillen screwed up this season with him by not keeping him out there when he was heating up. Instead he benched him and that was the end of Harris.

If Harris is bad, fine, but at least give him the chance to prove it. Had Guillen of done that this season, we would know for sure right now and we wouldn't have any debate. Good or bad, Harris wasn't given a legit chance this season.

He had over 400 at-bats, I'd call that a fair chance. That's over double the chance he had the two seasons before.

And he hit .262 with a OBP of .343.

19 steals doesn't impress me either from a guy who has "lightning" speed.

He's not an everyday major league player, there's nothing else to say really.